PDA

View Full Version : Rain water is not so clean afterall........

pingable
08-15-2011, 06:47 PM
I`m doing a huge modding of some sorts so I have the DD all torn to pieces with the 2nd bay used as a *itemized* catalog of parts.

Out goes the Garage Queen and it had a coat of RMG with P21S HD on it.

I don`t think it was the wax......

Anyhow, it was raining all day yesterday. I believe we got like 10" or more.

I assumed rainwater was fairly clean and mineral free- the same assumption that my *green* rainwater collection system for the garden outside was clean water.

All of the windows have this nasty film all over them. Nothing I`ve ever seen, but then again, I`ve never noticed the film on the DD cause if it was there, I just assumed it was due to it being a DD.

So whaddya guys say. It was wax/glaze runoff or rainwater ain`t that clean afterall.

08Sunburst
08-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Rainwater is definitely NOT clean, at least not where i live. Its LOADED with minerals... After it rains on my car, i have to wash it right away because of water spots..

wascallyrabbit
08-15-2011, 09:04 PM
rain water is anything but clean. haven`t experienced a film from rain even if i get caught it in the rain with my garage queen.

Ron Ketcham
08-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Ever hear of "acid rain"? Plus lots of chemicals are picked up by the wind, mix into the humidity, etc and when it rains, combines with dry particles that seen as dust on a surface--TA-DA! Grumpy
I`m doing a huge modding of some sorts so I have the DD all torn to pieces with the 2nd bay used as a *itemized* catalog of parts.

Out goes the Garage Queen and it had a coat of RMG with P21S HD on it.

I don`t think it was the wax......

Anyhow, it was raining all day yesterday. I believe we got like 10" or more.

I assumed rainwater was fairly clean and mineral free- the same assumption that my *green* rainwater collection system for the garden outside was clean water.

All of the windows have this nasty film all over them. Nothing I`ve ever seen, but then again, I`ve never noticed the film on the DD cause if it was there, I just assumed it was due to it being a DD.

So whaddya guys say. It was wax/glaze runoff or rainwater ain`t that clean afterall.

lostdaytomorrow
08-15-2011, 10:14 PM
What did it take to get the film off and was it only on the glass?

togwt
08-16-2011, 03:39 AM
Clean rain and `as pure as driven snow are both things from a non-industrialized past, before (acid rain, hydrazine (airports)and industrial fallout (IFO) - emissions from power generation, manufacturing plants and combustion engines emit Sulphuric acid from their exhaust stacks etc, vehicular catalytic converters emit carbon compounds that mixed with ozone (an oxidizer) and water becomes Sulphuric acid. Nitric oxide is an additional IFO component especially around Paper Mills.

pingable
08-16-2011, 08:24 AM
I gave it a Cirtus Pressure Wash and moved her into the garage....

The film was quite noticable from the interior of the car. When looking out at the glass (it was quite evident this whitish film) was visible on the glass.

Dan
08-16-2011, 10:05 AM
I guess it depends on where you live. I`ll take my chances with rain water compared to my city water. If I leave the city water on the surface, I get instant hardwater deposits that are a bear to remove.

Brad B
08-16-2011, 03:06 PM
I`ll take my chances with rain water compared to my city water.

Ditto. That said, rain falls on your car and makes a ring of dust, or worse, and you need to grab for the QD!

Ron Ketcham
08-16-2011, 08:56 PM
And, that is going to neutralize any of the acids in the ring of dust?

Doing so is not the worse thing that one can do, however H2o(water) which is a major percentage of any QD, will activate any of the acids.

Doing so is better than doing nothing, but a QD will not "draw out" the acids from the pores of the paint.

Just something to think about.

Grumpy

PS. I do just what you are saying, use the sort of QD when I observe a "deposit", however as soon as I can, use a quality car wash shampoo, allowing it to "dwell" on the area for a couple of minutes, then rinse off.

The car wash shampoo will do more good to remove the acids than a QD.

Just chemistry as I understand it.

Bill D
08-16-2011, 09:35 PM
The label on a bottle of Griots Speed Shine includes bird dropping removal among the things it cleans off but I wouldn`t trust using just that alone to fully remove the potentially left over acids-Id do like Ron. I follow a multiple step process and in the case of acid residue left behind by rain, Id use it with that too. I have a water and baking soda mix handy and IPA.

togwt
08-17-2011, 05:16 AM
It sounds like the film left from diesel or gas exhaust emission

As Bill D has suggested an acid should always be neutralized, otherwise it will be reactivated by moisture / heat