PDA

View Full Version : New to Detailing

ravenjred
08-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and new to detailing as well. I just purchased a new 2011 black Ford Explorer and I want to keep it as shiny and protected as possible. My friend talked me into buying Xzilon X4 off of e-bay and applying it to the car. I paid $35 dollars for it, the dealer wanted $995 to apply it for me!

Anyway, I still see some swirl marks in the paint. The protection looks good, water just runs off. Any suggestions for future maintenance? Can I wax over this, should I use a detail spray? Not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions would be of great help. I am open to anything any of you have to offer.

Thank you for your time and help.

Ed

Brad B
08-14-2011, 07:35 PM
I`m not familiar with the sealant you bought. But yes, you need to remove the swirls prior to protection. Research `swirl removers` and you will find tons of feedback.

If the Xzilon is a sealant then why wax over it. Certain you can, but not sure why you want to.

Yes, quick detailing spray (as well as a quality car wash and microfiber towels) is required for maintenance.

Research these key words and look in the articles section for ideas on everything.

Oh, and congrats on the new Explorer!

Dan
08-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Ed, to fix the swirls, you`ll need to strip the Xzilion. However, more important is how the swirls got there. Until you can be sure your wash/care techniques aren`t causing the swirls, you should not polish out the swirls. Check out accumulators guide to washing.