PDA

View Full Version : TufBuf Black Natural Lambswool Polishing Pad Question

Juan@Turbo Wax
08-12-2011, 07:10 AM
Hello, recently I ordered some of those TufBuf Black Natural Lambswool Polishing Pads, yesterday, I had the opportunity to give them a try and I was very surprise with the results. I had a surface with some swirl marks and using the pad with the porter cable with the speed set at 5. I had excellent results without having to go over with a foam pad or anything else, then I try with the high speed buffer with the speed set at 2, and the results were not as good, actually with the high speed buffer regardless of the speed. I could see some marks left behind on the surface which I had to correct afterwards.

So some of my questions are; How are you guys using these pads? Any tips? Any information that you can share with me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Juan

wascallyrabbit
08-12-2011, 08:43 AM
normally you`ll need another step after wool.

gmblack3
08-12-2011, 08:52 AM
normally you`ll need another step after wool.

Right here.

If the product you are using with this pad is not leaving any marks/swirls/ ect in the paint, then it is filling. Try a few wipe downs with IPA and see if the results are the same.

C. Charles Hahn
08-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Wool pads are never very aggressive when used on a DA polisher; the loose nap of the wool strands tend to absorb some of the orbital motion instead of transferring it to the contact surface of the pad against the paint. When this occurs, not much correction work is being done.

On rotary, as has been noted, wool pads are pretty much always going to leave some sort of swirls that are going to need to be removed. This is just a side effect of the aggressive cutting action such pads provide.

imported_DetailDan
08-12-2011, 09:36 AM
What products are you using with the pads?

Nopstnz8
08-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Wool pads are never very aggressive when used on a DA polisher; the loose nap of the wool strands tend to absorb some of the orbital motion instead of transferring it to the contact surface of the pad against the paint. When this occurs, not much correction work is being done.

On rotary, as has been noted, wool pads are pretty much always going to leave some sort of swirls that are going to need to be removed. This is just a side effect of the aggressive cutting action such pads provide.

So is an orange pad the most agressive you can get on a DA other than yellow which should only be used for oxidation?

C. Charles Hahn
08-22-2011, 06:27 PM
So is an orange pad the most agressive you can get on a DA other than yellow which should only be used for oxidation?

I would actually say either the Meguiar`s MF cutting pads or Surbuf pads are the most aggressive (pad-wise) you can get on a DA.

David Fermani
08-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Not only are they better, but they run cooler too. I love the MF pads.

imported_DetailDan
08-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Seems like they produce less dust as well.

Juan@Turbo Wax
08-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Thank you for the feedback!!! :)

I`m under the impression that is the product that produces the dust?

wascallyrabbit
08-22-2011, 09:12 PM
for the most part it is the product that dusts.

Ron Ketcham
08-22-2011, 09:59 PM
I assume that you are referring to a "non-yarn" pad. The pad is off the sheep, and not sheared wool,which is then twisted into a wool yarn and sewed onto a back plate?

In the old days, a true "lambs wool" ( as we referred to them) came with the leather hide that the wool(lamb`s wool) was attached by mother nature, not manipulated by man.

These pads then, were done with the toxic process of tannic curing, which left most of the natural lanolin in the hide, and worked as a lubricator during the polishing process.

If one were to wash them in any cleaner (all purpose/soap/even woolite) that would remove some or all of the lanolin and the hide portion would shrink, leaving a hard backing and a much smaller pad. Not good.

The only way to clean these pads, without destroying them is a pad spur. Spur clean them as you go, like every two foot sq of work area. I have lambs wool pads that I have done many complete cars with, and it takes quite a while to wear down the wool fibers if cleaned properly.

Wash them and get ready to throw away a very expensive, nice pad.

USE A PAD TOOL, A SPUR, TO CLEAN THEM!!!

I have a few 5" and 6" pads that I occassionaly use with a DA, however, my main use is with a regular rotary buffer, they are 8 " and I couldn`t do with out them. I do follow up with a final polishing using a memory foam pad and a light polish. Been a user of these type of pads for at least 50 years.

By the way, if the hide is grey and the fiber black or grey, they were not done in the old tannic process, as that may only be done in a few country`s, not here. These newer ones are still great, just not as great. Want "great", get one that is "orangish" in color, with a tan leather back.

Clean off the surface, and I am very happy with the no swirl, no imperfection results.

Grumpy

Thomas Dekany
08-23-2011, 02:29 AM
There is nothing that corrects RIDS faster than these wool pads on the pc. Use them. In any case, you still need to follow up after wool.

Hello, recently I ordered some of those TufBuf Black Natural Lambswool Polishing Pads, yesterday, I had the opportunity to give them a try and I was very surprise with the results. I had a surface with some swirl marks and using the pad with the porter cable with the speed set at 5. I had excellent results without having to go over with a foam pad or anything else, then I try with the high speed buffer with the speed set at 2, and the results were not as good, actually with the high speed buffer regardless of the speed. I could see some marks left behind on the surface which I had to correct afterwards.

So some of my questions are; How are you guys using these pads? Any tips? Any information that you can share with me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Juan

Nopstnz8
08-23-2011, 03:56 AM

A little of both, but like M105 compared to M205, the dust is mainly the product.

Juan@Turbo Wax
08-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Ron, Thank you very much for that information, very interesting :)