PDA

View Full Version : How soon can you wax paint?

Pages : [1] 2

togwt
08-12-2011, 05:16 AM
One of the most often asked question (besides Leather care and Glass cleaning) and a subject that results in a great deal of confusion and misinformation regarding polishing or waxing re-painted panels.

Many paint company now say the 30-90 day recommendations are based on old paint formulations and the P-Sheets need to be up-dated in line with the latest paint specifications, although to my knowledge this has not been carried out by many companies as yet. Most paints can have a paint protection product (wax / sealant/coating) applied within 36 – 48 hours of painting. However I would still abide with the manufacturers official recommendations

Part I - Applying a Polymer Sealant or Waxing Re-Painted Surfaces

a) Polishing or Waxing Post-production Paintwork

1. Refinish paint products, materials and paint drying methods are very different from original equipment materials (OEM) specified materials.

2. This is only relative to re-painted surfaces that use a solvent –based paint. Modern environmentally friendly paint systems being utilized today are mostly water-base (EU- Sikkens, BASF, and Brillux), which evaporates quickly from the paint during the baking and drying process (US, only a limited number of painters are utilizing water-based pain, most are utilizing solvent based urethane)

3. Unlike the oven baking process used by OEM painting t he process used in body shops is just a speed cure. Urethanes drying causes an exothermic reaction, that means they produce a small amount of heat as they cure, by adding to the reaction, you accelerate it but if you don`t it will just take more time but will eventually completely cure on its own.

The majority of refinish paint is supplied by BASF DuPont, PPG and Sherwin Williams is 2K (2 component paint + activator) polyurethane systems; one component is polyisocyanate and the second is a polyol (acrylic or polyester polyol). Solvent-based paints (which still constitutes the majority of what is still being used, low solvent content VOC compliant) once the two components react they form a strong polymer chain. Or a water-based paint, much more prevalent in European imports than US mfg vehicles

Newly applied paint is soft, much softer than OEM paint, while newly refinished paint is about 90% cured within 24 hours, although it does take up to 30 days for it to become fully cross-linked (even with the help of a drying oven and various additives).

That distinctive smell of paint is actually dibutyl and diethyl phthalate outgassing- two very volatile compounds

New paint needs to outgas for approximately 90 days (i.e. the solvents need to evaporate) if this is hindered by an inappropriate product application the clear coat may form a `hard film` on top and the clear coat matrix may remain `soft`. Most product data sheets (PSheet) state paint will air dry in 12 hours to buff and take 16 hours to fully dry.

Automotive paint is classified as a semi-permeable membrane; some chemicals, especially solvent based will penetrate a paint surface easily, others will just remain on the surface. A solvent or oil solvent emulsion will permeate the paint and fill the molecules causing them to swell. This will have an effect on the mechanical strength effecting both the paints tensile strength and elasticity

Current 2k (2 component paint + activator) polyurethane systems use chemical reactions to cross-link the clear-coat. Some body shops will oven cure them at approx 65.oF for 30 minutes and air dry over night or use an accelerator catalyst. Regardless, they still need to time for the solvents to evaporate (outgas) from the finish. By not allowing this process can create solvent-pop ‘like ‘fissures of the paint film and other issues.

During this period, using waxes or sealants that use a solvent as their carrier system should not be used since the solvents permeate the paint and soften it and if the wax or sealant contains abrasives, it can cause micro marring on the softened paint. The best products to use during this period are therefore water-based systems that are both solvent and abrasive-free.

Most paint shops use 10-20% more isocyanate component (hardener) than the polyol component. The reaction between these two (isocyanate and alcohol) is fairly rapid and that accounts for the 90% curing rate of the refinish paint within 24 hours. That leaves about 10% un-reacted isocyanate, some of these isocyanate groups slowly react with moisture (hence the term moisture cure) and form amine groups (releasing CO2).

The newly formed amine groups rapidly react with isocyanate groups to form urea or polyurea, which is much harder than polyurethane adding solvents to the paint, hindering this reaction, while water-based products can help the (moisture) curing process.

Professional painters add chemicals; accelerants and compounds to their paint mix prior to painting to improve flexibility, reduce paint imperfections, increase hardness, and improve gloss and some body shops heat it in a paint oven to harden the ‘shell’, it doesn’t reduce cross-linking times (this process is both temperature and time dependent) But I would suggest waiting for approximately ten to fifteen days before any abrasive product application, which should be more than sufficient time to enable paint off gassing and aerobic curing

a) When a body shop wet sands and buffs out a newly painted panel they will hopefully polish out any sanding scratches, unfortunately this is not usually the case. Polishing paint that is at least 24 hours old is perfectly fine.

As a conservative estimate I would suggest waiting for approximately ten to fifteen days before any abrasive product application, which should be more than sufficient time to enable paint off gassing and aerobic curing

Unless you are a very experienced detailer I would strongly advise against the use of heavily applied pressure and overtly abrasive products as they behave more aggressively on soft fresh paint. I would suggest you allow the fresh paint to fully cross-link (cure) before you attempt to remove any surface imperfections

Also be aware that plastics and those surfaces that have flex agent additives have a different thermal rating and will be negatively affected by applied heat very rapidly.

Fresh paint safe glaze’ - while a paint is cross linking, using solvent- based waxes or sealants is not ideal since the solvents penetrate the paint and soften it and will interfere with the outgas / cross linking process.

The common ingredients in a’ fresh paint safe’ glaze are: water, glycerine or mineral oils(to produce a high shine) and a mild abrasive Kaolin (China clay) to burnish the surface and produce a gloss, some polymers are also formulated as ‘fresh paint safe’ for the same reasons

The application of a specific ‘fresh paint safe’ water-based or polymer type product, Zaino Polishes (exclude the use of either Z1 or ZFX™) Optimum Car Wax is water-based and is safe on fresh paint, or use Presta Fast it’s a liquefied paste wax manufactured with premium, natural and synthetic ingredients. This unique wax can be applied over 24-hour old clear coat and single-stage finishes without risk of die back, because it creates a breathable film that permits solvents to cross the wax film. Allow an ‘initial gas off’ (evaporate) /cure aerobic process of 7 days before application

These products are completely safe for any fresh paint system as they allow the solvents in a water-based paint to outgas / aerobic cure process and provide some protection for any type of paint surface. After thirty days (30) the paint surface can be protected with a regular polymer sealant and/or Carnauba wax.

Notes:

1. DuPont and , PPG recommend a 90 day period whereas BSAF advise 30 days; but any recommendation is dependent upon what paint, hardener, drying system, additives etc were used, the body-shop / paint manufactures know their products; seek their advice Paint manufacturer have specific technical guidelines (see ‘Product Sheet’ or P-Sheet) on how to use their products to affect a warranted spot/panel/ repairs or a full repaint. This preserves both the paint manufactures and factory warranty (if offered)

2. Abrasive polish should be avoided until the paint has cured (an abrasive polish will not necessarily harm the soft new paint but unless it’s absolutely necessary I would avoid it)

3. Vehicle washing is encouraged but avoid car wash concentrates that contain any harsh detergents, alkali, acids, wax (recommended products- Zaino Z-7™ Show Car Wash, Groit’s Car Wash) also avoid car washes that uses a high-pressure spray, harsh detergents or brushes

4. Don`t use a car cover until the paint is fully cured?

5. A paint film surface is a delicate thin coating easily dulled and very easily scratched, so choose carefully the advice you listen to and most importantly what advice you act upon.

6. Some Carnauba wax contains paraffin wax, which effectively ‘seals’ the paint surface more than a polymer due to its formulation.

7. The use of water-based products is highly recommended

Part II - Applying a Polymer Sealant or Waxing OEM Paint

b) Polishing or Waxing Production (OEM oven cured) Paintwork

Original equipment materials (OEM) specified materials are very different from refinish paint products and materials

Paint curing process; new cars go through the painting and baking process without any of the rubber, plastic, and cloth components installed. This is why they can expose the cars paint to such high temperatures, these high temperatures and special paints used at the factory level ensure the paint is fully cured by the time the car leaves the assembly line.

Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) paint is cured at high temperatures; OEM paints are cured in a paint oven at around 320. °F (160. °C) for 20 minutes, in multiple oven zones where the paint is baked with radiation and convection heat, or infrared so that 90-95% of the paint systems out gassing has taken place, the additional 5-10% will cure within 2-3 days, it will probably be stored for one or two days before transportation, it is then shipped or transported OTR to a dealership and most likely be on the lot for a few weeks or more. So the vehicle’s paint can be waxed as soon as you take delivery.

By not applying some sort of paint protection soon after purchase the customer is actually damaging the paint surface instead of helping it. Salesmen that advise a customer not to wax a car for 3-6 months are relying on old paint methods and are misinformed about the latest paint technology. The newer paints are catalyzed (a chemical reaction that cures the paint) lacquers and enamels needed an extensive time for the solvents to release, with modern water-based or reduced solvent content paints this is not necessary.

This is a huge problem in dealerships because customers tend to take the advice offered by a salesman who usually knows nothing about paint, rather than a trained paint professional. This goes a long way to understand why fairly new vehicles paint surfaces are in such bad shape even after a relatively short period of time.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/welcome-greeting-center/136404-allow-me-re-introduce-myself.html?daysprune=45

David Fermani
08-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Great info Jon. I have multiple body shops using Optimum Car Wax on their freshly painted jobs that were both baked and not baked. They all love it and haven`t experienced any problems. I also know of a few others that are using generic OTC wax on their work and not experiencing any problems either. Starting to think that sealing fresh paint isn`t that big of an issue any more these days? I`ve also been told that Opti-Coat can also be applied over fresh paint too. I thought AI has a product that was ok for fresh paint, but doesn`t seem to be offered any longer. If Ron`s reading this maybe he could assist and give his opinion?

Ron Ketcham
08-21-2011, 08:08 PM
That is correct, IF the correct products are used.

The Opt-Coat, the ValuGard Finishing Wax are not going to cause damage to correctly applied refinish paint.

I usually wait one day for the tailing solvent to finish flashing off.

The old motorcycle I recently restored had to go to a show two days after I finished it, applied the Finishing Wax to it and now 3 months later, no negative effects.

This is just the latest of doing this, but have done so on several finishes over the past 6 years.

In this case the paint was DuPont 2K with activator.

Grumpy

David Fermani
08-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks for sharing this Ron. What are some of the side effects that you`ve seen that can occur if you prematurely seal a fresh finish? I`ve heard some people mention solvent pop, but after speaking with several painters they say otherwise. I have yet to see any side effects that could be documented to this phenomenon.

Also, what`s you input on the time frame variances most paint lines request for a full cure? It`s all over the map...30, 60, 90, 120 days? If you talk to a different rep at the same company it might even lead to a different opinion! What is actually occuring from the 24-48 hr mark to say 1 week to 3-4 weeks that could pose a problem with using non-approved protectants?

Ron Ketcham
08-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Depends on the material used as to what, if any damage may take place.

Is the material a 1K or a 2K, what is the solvent used, single or 2 stage, what primers, etc, etc.

In the old days, if a product with silicones, some polishing oils, etc was used, the gloss would die back. permanently, no amount of polishing could bring it back for more than a few days.

This can still happen, however, one of the main things seen today is the delamination of the applied paint or base/clear.

Die back can still be a concern in some instances.

The paint manufacturers have little control once the paint is taken from the can and applied.

They provide directions, however, painters are famous for adding their "secret additives", be it a different thinner, retarders, accelerators, etc.

Then there is the "drying process", depending on the materials once again.

The down draft booth, with heaters, move warm air over the fresh paint and speed up the solvent evaporation.

Some of the very low VOC paints work better with just plain air moving over them, etc.

The 30-90 day thing is like an insurance policy for the manufacturers, as they have no control over what someone may apply to their fresh paint.

Back in the mid 80`s, the use of "dimethal silicone fluids/oils" became a main ingrediant of many over the counter products.

After all, this components was just what the guy on the street wanted-no rubbing, easy to apply and remove and left a high gloss to the surface.

The silicone would migrate down into the paint, creating all sorts of problems.

If the paint had a long enough cure, it usually did not affect the paint.

Grumpy

Accumulator
08-22-2011, 11:57 AM
David and I have, uhm....discussed this one before ;)

If they ever get the A8 looking OK I`ll probably just glaze/store it for three months out of my (perhaps unfounded) fear that I might end up compromising its eventual hardness, but I do toy with the idea of OCWing it instead. I just think of how my post-production paintwork always seem to change over time...getting harder, letting previously invisible prep flaws show....and I`m still leery of messing anything up.

Ron Ketcham
08-22-2011, 12:03 PM
If such flaws show up later, you may wish to consider the primers and how you deal with them in the future.

I know the pain, so allow at least one day of cure on primers before working them down to paint.

I always use an etch primer on bare surfaces, let it cure out than the surface/fill primer, once again, a good cure before moving on.

Amazing what shows up once the primers get a full cure, scarey at times.

Hey, just ordered my new stripping brushes and paints, going to try to recover my old abilities lost 40 years ago.

Should be fun, have some stripes to put on some projects, hell, did it before in my life, now to do it again.

Grumpy

David Fermani
08-22-2011, 12:46 PM
A body man that did pinstriping? Holy cow, now that`s a new one! Those guys are usually at different ends of the shop. :eyebrows:

Accumulator
08-22-2011, 12:53 PM
If such flaws show up later, you may wish to consider the primers and how you deal with them in the future.

I know the pain, so allow at least one day of cure on primers before working them down to paint...

I was thinking along the same lines, suggested that they let things sit for a while between the priming and basecoat. Also suggested they do their final sanding with a lighter grit so that anything that does "come back" won`t be as awful as this problem was. "Take longer, do more, charge me for it...just don`t waste my time with redos."

Ron Ketcham
08-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Back in the "dark ages", in small town, where my Father owned a farm machinery and truck dealership, rented out buildings to a bodyshop, gas station and blacksmith, I had access to some real pro`s.

In high school, when things were slow at the machinery business, I took over the little paint shop in July and Aug, did rust repairs, total repaints, ran lead, nosed and decked my peers cars, etc.

Would never call myself a true bodyman or painter, just got enough education and knowledge to make some real money in the late 50`s and early 60`s, which later served as my entry into what I retired from, the auto industry.

Self taught stripper, and was not good at "long run`s" but hell on wheels for free style.

Back then, would refinish a dash in lacquer, and then pin strip it in the free style method.

I got $100 for a day and half of work, which was almost twice what my dad`s mechanics were making in a week.

In those days, a gallon of enamel was $15, a gallon of primer was around $8 and thinner was $20 for 5 gal.

We had 220, 320 and 400 wet dry paper, that was it.

For a final polish, would mix corn starch with some mineral oil and such, worked great on lacquer with a genuine lambs`s wool (non yarn) pad.

Once did a 53 Ford couple with a 54 Caddy stuffed in it.

Nosed, decked, louvered hood (had to send it out for those), and used all lead for the body work.

Applied 36 coats of black lacquer, 4 coats at a time, allowed to cure one day, then 400 wet sand with a block, let it set a day, then put on 4 more coats, did this 9 times.

Final was a 400 sand and compounding, then polishing.

6 years later, no crazing or cracking and it still looked like new, and get this, was the guy`s daily driver!

Once a year until I went off to work in the real world, he would have me repolish it and put on coat of Johnson`s Paste Wax.

We didn`t have all the modern materials, used a 5000 rpm Souix grinder for a buffer as that was all there was.

Awww, the not so "good old days".

LOL!

Grumpy

David Fermani
08-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Man, things sure have evolved over time! Sounds like the finish was as think as the substrate? Can`t do that with today`s paint huh? And 400 grit...Ouch! That`s a step above what you`d use to scuff a surface for paint! I bet if you go into some remote out of the way towns they still might have never acclimated to today`s standards either? :shocked

Ron Ketcham
08-22-2011, 01:29 PM
If those shops in a "remote" town are doing insurance work, you can bet your butt that they have I-CAR training, etc.

Which is why I always advise those who ask, "how do I have a clue on what is a good quality shop", I reply, if they ain`t I-CAR, you don`t have much of a chance of getting quality, to spec, work.

Grumpy

David Fermani
08-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Good point. If you wanna the nickle and dimers (:wink1:) to throw you a bone, you gotta be Gold Class. (coming from a Platinum individual btw)

Ron Ketcham
08-22-2011, 01:43 PM
So-o-o-!

You have had some exporsure to my work before.

Detailing course (new one of the 2000`s) pretty much my work.

Corossion protection replacement-a lot of my work.

Some other minor input on some other courses.

Coming up on 3 years of retirement and lost a lot of contact with what is going on.

Hear a lot of shake-up`s again, including Wisconsin folks.

Last International Convention seminar I did was in Orlando, forget what year, 05-06?

The Corossion replacement was the subject matter, handed out over 125 CD`s of it at the meeting.

Grumpy

David Fermani
08-22-2011, 02:18 PM
I`m begging to take the detailing course they offer, but the Insurance folks that pay my tuition seem to think differently. Yup, I`ve taken a bunch of basics and a few others. Here`s my history from I-Car:

ELE01 Electrical Circuits and DVOM Usage

RCY01 Recycled Parts for Collision Repair

TOY01 Collision Repair for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Vehicles

REF07 Waterborne Products, Systems, and Application

PLA01 Plastic Welding Repair

NEW10 Vehicle Technology and Trends 2010

SPS02 Steel Unibody, A-, B-, C-, D-Pillars, and Rocker Panels

CPS01 Corrosion Protection

DAM05 Aluminum Panels and Structures Damage Analysis

WKR01 Hazardous Materials, Personal Safety and Refinish Safety

DAM06 Steering And Suspension Damage Analysis

DAM03 Mechanical Systems Analysis