PDA

View Full Version : WARNING! Don`t use these Autogeek WWs on paint!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Alfisti
08-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Blue Waffle Weave Drying Towel, car drying towel (http://www.autogeek.net/waffle-weave-towels.html)

Special Purchase Blue Waffle Weave Drying Towel, 25 x 36 inches

I bought 10 of these on a BOGO special (paid for 5). I used them twice on black cars and noticed serious hologram-like scratching that MF leaves.

On the first car I didn`t notice until I pulled it out in the sun. Wasn`t sure if I mis-used ONR or something.

I used them again on a black car I worked on in the sun and immediately saw the scratches. I switched to my old Pakshak WWs and no probs.

I couldn`t believe how bad they were! Admittedly, the webpage does say: "How does this towel compare to the Guzzler? Reserve your premium Cobra Guzzler towels for fine surfaces, like paintwork, and use the Blue Waffle Weave Drying Towels for wiping door jambs, trunk jambs, the engine compartment and all the places where you wouldn’t take your Guzzlers. This all-purpose waffle weave towel cleans and dries all in one step!"

I thought I`d try them anyway because I`ve never come across a WW thet scratches paint so I though "how bad can it be?". Now I know.

Autogeek`s webpage should come with a *clear warning* about not using them on paint, rather than a casual suggestion. I wouldn`t even use them on door jambs as the scratches are visible when the sun hits them.

I might keep them for non-clear coated white as it doesn`t show the fine hologramming and is much harder than clear coat and may not scratch anyway.

Bill D
08-10-2011, 09:32 AM
I`d contact AG and let them know. I had a QC with regular MFs a long time ago, I let the vendor at the time know and included some photos of the defects. I was refunded no problem. AG has superior CS so I`d be totally confident in their handling of the issue.

wascallyrabbit
08-10-2011, 09:46 AM
the webpage does say: "How does this towel compare to the Guzzler? Reserve your premium Cobra Guzzler towels for fine surfaces, like paintwork, and use the Blue Waffle Weave Drying Towels for wiping door jambs, trunk jambs, the engine compartment and all the places where you wouldn’t take your Guzzlers. This all-purpose waffle weave towel cleans and dries all in one step!"

i probably wouldn`t have ordered them. you`ll probably be able to return them. the do have good cs.

Rei86
08-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Just give them a call for a return/refund.

Dumb question tho, did you wash them before use? I`ve noticed that a lot of people don`t wash their MF before using them on paint.

Brad B
08-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Dumb question tho, did you wash them before use? I`ve noticed that a lot of people don`t wash their MF before using them on paint.

Good point. Makes a world of difference since there are conditioners/sizing in the fibers that need to be washed out.

imported_WCD
08-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Boy, when I saw the initial subject, I was holding my breath for a second until I saw where you bought them. However, yes, I have seen the same thing with ww towels. I normally spray/prime mine with something so they are not totally dry when I wipe black cars. That said, we are developing a new one as we speak that I hope will be the new and cool way to dry dark colored cars safely- still a ww towel, but a bit different.

Rob

qaz393
08-10-2011, 09:49 PM
interesting, in for results.

Kean
08-11-2011, 01:04 PM
I stopped buying towels from AG back around the time when they had the shedding issues with the Shamrocks. Several other towels I purchased from them (what were supposed to be their “premium” offerings) either had similar lint issues and/or performance problems.

I should mention that I also bought some WW’s on a BOGO special from them (blue). While I didn’t have any noticeable scratching issues with them, I did have absorbency problems. No matter how many times they were washed, they simply would not absorb water. ….only moved it around. It’s as if the material were treated with some sort of uber-resilient Scotch Guard chemical. Anyhow, I switched to PakShak on the advice of a respected member here and I have been more than satisfied with the quality/performance of their towels.

dschribs
08-11-2011, 01:16 PM
PakShak. Like the Old Milwaukee commercial says, "It doesn`t get much better..."

In terms of drying towels, I use the 36" x 24" WW from Detailed Image. I`m very happy with them.

BigAl3
08-11-2011, 06:23 PM
I stopped buying towels from AG back around the time when they had the shedding issues with the Shamrocks. Several other towels I purchased from them (what were supposed to be their “premium” offerings) either had similar lint issues and/or performance problems.

agreed, i had linting problems as well...

imported_DetailDan
08-11-2011, 07:55 PM

I should mention that I also bought some WW’s on a BOGO special from them (blue). While I didn’t have any noticeable scratching issues with them, I did have absorbency problems. No matter how many times they were washed, they simply would not absorb water. ….only moved it around. It’s as if the material were treated with some sort of uber-resilient Scotch Guard chemical. Anyhow, I switched to PakShak on the advice of a respected member here and I have been more than satisfied with the quality/performance of their towels.

+100000000 I have a lot of towels from AG and they are all terrible. They are now used for wheels, engine bays, door jams, etc. Switched to PakShak and couldnt be happier.

SATracker
08-12-2011, 04:03 PM
I ordered a blue waffle weave drying towel year or so ago and found it to be totally useless. I like their "Guzzler" green waffle weave and found them to work quite well. Thanks for bringing this to people`s attention.

SpoolinNoMore
08-12-2011, 04:22 PM
I got some green Cobra Guzzler WW drying towels from them and have been very pleased so far. My Meguiar`s "Water Magnet" WW`s took a turn for the worse after 3 washes, they feel like they have wool lint on them if you touch them while they`re dry so I don`t dare touch paint with them anymore. My only complaint about Cobra Guzzlers are the price :-/

imported_MCA
08-12-2011, 04:40 PM
I got some green Cobra Guzzler WW drying towels from them and have been very pleased so far. My Meguiar`s "Water Magnet" WW`s took a turn for the worse after 3 washes, they feel like they have wool lint on them if you touch them while they`re dry so I don`t dare touch paint with them anymore. My only complaint about Cobra Guzzlers are the price :-/

A few years ago (2004-ish), I bought some cobra guzzler WW drying towels (purple back then) and I still use them today...they are great and still very soft. I *almost* jumped on the BOGO for the blue waffle weaves but the picture looked like the Meg`s Water Magnet. Like you, my experience with them were not very good...dry and rough like cardboard. Paul`s experience with these blue WW makes me glad I passed.

Paul - I am sorry that you are stuck with some unplanned paint correction. Contact Autogeek - As you probably know or hear, they are a very reputable company with great customer service.

Alfisti
08-14-2011, 03:54 AM
I`d contact AG and let them know. I had a QC with regular MFs a long time ago, I let the vendor at the time know and included some photos of the defects. I was refunded no problem. AG has superior CS so I`d be totally confident in their handling of the issue.

i probably wouldn`t have ordered them. you`ll probably be able to return them. the do have good cs.

Just give them a call for a return/refund.

Thanks guys. I emailed them and offered me a store credit to the same amount ($100). They claimed they haven`t received any complaints about them. I just sent them a reply and included a photo to show the marring. To ensure it wasn`t poor technique, overly-soft paint, wash solution etc, I dried the rest with Pakshak, Sonus and Mothers WWs and they were all fine.