PDA

View Full Version : DO SPOTS in CARPETS RETURN AFTER CLEANING??

Pages : [1] 2

buda
08-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Nothing is more frustrating for a detailer than to spend a great deal of time and effort to clean an automobile carpet until it is perfect. But the next day you get a call or worse the customer returns telling you the carpet is almost as dirty as it was before you cleaned it.

In cases this is called among professional carpet cleaners as recurring spots. Which go away during cleaning but show up the next day when the carpet is dry.

Some of the following information may be familiar to detailers but for many it might be the first time you read it.

[B]Prevention

While you cannot sell all of your customers anti-stain/spot protection (Fabric Protection) this will help prevent the fibers from absorbing liquids spilled which gives the customer time to liquid before it stains.

[B]Wrong Chemicals Used

A big problem for detailers who have customers come to them to remove stains and spots in their carpet and fabric upholstery is that they will have, before coming to you, used anything at hand to attempt a "do-it-yourself" cleaning. What that does is destroy any fabric protectant and in many cases setting the spot/stain making it even more difficult to remove.

A rule to keep in mind is that "likes attract likes." So to remove spots and stains you must use the correct stain remover. Never use too much either as leaving residues can be just as bad as the original stain/spot.

Spills can go into the backing and even further and then it spreads. So when you clean a small spot that has "spread" underneath you can get a recurring spot that is 5 or 10 times as large as the original.

[B]Prepare if You Know it Will Return

If you have an idea that a stain or spot might return you need to let the customer know this so they will not be unhappy. I had a customer come in with a vehicle in which a cola had been spilled. I knew from experience we were not going to get it "all out." So I told the customer this and why and told them that when it showed up again to come in and we would get out the stain that "wicked" up and would continue to do so until it was completely gone.

There are some things you can do, that are not common in the detailing industry but used extensively in the professional car cleaning industry to prevent recurring spots/stains:

ACID RINSES

These rinsing agents will help to strip oily soil and shampoo and stain removing residues from the carpets.

ANTI-SOILING TREATMENTS

You can apply a fabric protectant to the area where you think you might have recurring spots/stains. These chemicals tend to attract these residues and they can then be vacuumed away.

ABSORBING POWDERS

You can try using soil absorbing powders that are applied to the spot/stain; worked in; allowed to dry and then vacuumed.

VAPOR STEAMERS

If you do not own a vapor steamer you should have one in your arsenal of cleaning tools. Even a simple mini vapor steame is enough to get out stains/spots. Just apply the appropriate stain/spot remover to stain; lay a damp white towel over the stain/spot and then hit the towel full force with the steamer. If you are lucky the stain will transfer to the towel and it is gone.

Try to use as little moisture as you can when removing stains/spots or shampooing carpets the carpet will dry faster and create less chance of mold forming.

Regards

Bud Abraham

DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS

buda@detailplus.com

David Fermani
08-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Good info Bud.

In cases this is called among professional carpet cleaners as recurring spots. Which go away during cleaning but show up the next day when the carpet is dry.

Isn`t this the same think as "wicking"?

What`s your opinion on using hot vs cold air to dry a damp interior? If you don`t mind me adding to this; my experiences have shown that heat accelerates the "browing" and chemical drying/hardening in many applications. Especially in a setting where the interior was very soiled. I try to vac the carpet very well (slowly) and then towel it to lift away reminants of dirt and chemical. Once totaly dry I sometimes spray an alcohol based glass cleaner over the the surface and towel again. Works like a charm.

buda
08-09-2011, 07:28 PM
David

Thank you for the compliment. This was such a brief article on the concept of cleaning carpets.

Yes, recurring spots/stains could also be called wicking, but then how many detailers have ever heard of that term.

Do not use heated dryers because there really are not any that generate sufficient cfm of air to do a decent job. If you could get 2100 cfm from a heated dryer great, but I do not think you could afford one. Did a good article on drying interiors and the science of drying but I don`t recall for which publication. Will have to check with my secretary who final types them for me and sends them out.

I am not sure why you would use a glass cleaner on carpets??? I am a firm believer in using chemicals "only" for the purpose they were formulated for. Acid rinses are designed to keep light colored carpets from browning. Browning occurs when you leave an alkaline chemical in the fibers which is what a carpet shampoo is. That is why white shirts; tee-shirts; briefs all get yellow or brownish after a few washes. They need to be rinsed with an acidic rinse.

Lots of science that goes into cleaning carpets properly.

But what do you do with an industry that cleaned carpets buy putting a 5 gallon bucket, half full of water next to the interior; glugging in a few ounces often too many ounces of the wrong chemical (degreaser) and then slopping a bunch of the watery, soapy solution all over the carpets and taking a scrub brush and scrubbing like hell and then using a shop vacuum to remove the moisture.

BUT leaving the oily soil residue and shampoo residue in the fibres to dry and become a sticky mess.

But that is the way, "we have always done it." Be dammed with learning the correct way and buying the right equipment and gaining the knowledge to do it right.

Pardon me if I sound cynical.

Bud A

David Fermani
08-09-2011, 08:53 PM
David

I am not sure why you would use a glass cleaner on carpets??? I am a firm believer in using chemicals "only" for the purpose they were formulated for. Acid rinses are designed to keep light colored carpets from browning. Browning occurs when you leave an alkaline chemical in the fibers which is what a carpet shampoo is. That is why white shirts; tee-shirts; briefs all get yellow or brownish after a few washes. They need to be rinsed with an acidic rinse.

I’ve had a lot of success using glass cleaner as a final spruce to carpeting. Both in wholesale, retail and in my present applications. Because alcohol is a drying agent, it does a good job of not reintroducing wetness back into the carpet and also adds a really nice clean look to it also . Alcohol actually has several great uses in detailing and reconditioning. From removing tree sap, to oils, even makes for a decent solvent to remove certain stains from interiors too. It all comes down to what ever works for you in your setting.

As far as the cause of browning, I thought that was where is excessive dirt at the base of the carpet raises to the top during the drying process. I’ve found heat to force and magnify this effect) I didn’t realize it was from remnants of alkaline cleaners? I’m sure they don’t help with this though either? I’ve actually seen browning on interiors that were extracted as well, but I’m not certain they were finished with an acid rinse. Good info!

buda
08-10-2011, 09:05 AM
David

I am not here to tell you what to do. Only that it is much safer in our business to use chemicals for the purpose that they were formulated.

Using your logic that glass cleaner works on carpets, then you could juse Joy to wash your hair and liquid laundry detergent to bathe in? Or, engine degreaser as a carpet shampoo or leather cleaner. God knows they would all work well. Right?

Did you stop to think there might be elements in glass cleaner that could harm the carpet, long-term, or cause it to resoil faster?

With regard to browning you are confusing browning with wicking.

Browning is a chemical reaction that occurs when alkaline chemical residue is not neutralized with an acidic rinse for that purpose.

Hope that helps explain my position and the difference between browning and wicking.

Bud Abraham

Wicking is the physical action of dirt residue rising to the surface when it dries in a carpet.

imported_sal329
08-11-2011, 09:56 AM
What is a good acid wash for carpets?

buda
08-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Go to any janitorial supply company in your area and ask for an neutralizing acid-rinse chemical. They are often called things like: No Brown; Brown-Out, etc.

A janitorial supply company will know what you need. Few, if any detail chemical companies that I know of, sell such a product. We used to have one, but since few detailers knew what it was or that they should use it we discontinued it`s production.

Regards

Bud Abraham

togwt
08-11-2011, 11:35 AM
[With regard to browning you are confusing browning with wicking.]

I thought that ‘browning’ was caused by wet cleaning upholstery or carpet due to over-wetting and ‘Wicking’ or capillary action that brings dirt to the surface

[Browning is a chemical reaction that occurs when alkaline chemical residue is not neutralized with an acidic rinse for that purpose.]

I’m confused (which is very easily done) perhaps you could clarify it for me

buda
08-11-2011, 11:59 AM
[With regard to browning you are confusing browning with wicking.]

I thought that ‘browning’ was caused by wet cleaning upholstery or carpet due to over-wetting and ‘Wicking’ or capillary action that brings dirt to the surface

[Browning is a chemical reaction that occurs when alkaline chemical residue is not neutralized with an acidic rinse for that purpose.]

I’m confused (which is very easily done) perhaps you could clarify it for me

TOGWT:

A person with your admitted knowledge of chemistry does not have to ask me to clarify what I meant by browning and wicking you know the answer I am sure.

If you believe I am incorrect then please say so. I`m not thin skinned if I am wrong I can certainly admit it

Bud Abraham

(901)
08-11-2011, 01:03 PM
No Brown; Brown-Out

Regards

Bud Abraham

This is the stuff my wife uses on my undies ^ works great! :washing:

buda
08-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Mush Mouth

Thank you very much for your post regarding my post to TOGWT. He is not a customer he is a retired chemical engineer who clearly knows the answer to the question he asked me.

He is not a customer and no I would not and do not treat my customers with any disrespect.

If what I post is offensive to you then yes, you certainly have the option of not doing business with our company.

One cannot walk on egg-shells worrying about how others take what they say. That is not life.

The great Buddha once replied to an observer who saw that the crowd Buddha was speaking to were hurling insults at him and he did nothing.

The observer asked, "Great Buddha why do you allow these people to insult you."

He replied, "they do not insult me, because an insult is like a gift, you have the option of accepting it or rejecting it."

That is how it must be on the forums when people write things you might feel are an insult.

The problem is that many people are so insecure that when someone disagrees with what they say they take it personally. But in reality there is nothing personal in the disagreement at all, only that they disagree with what was said.

If you say something that I think is incorrect or that I do not agree with, you can be damm sure I will so post if I think it is inaccurate information. If you want to take that as an insult and personal, that is your option nothing I can do about it. But rest assurd that it is not at all personal.

My effort is to write articles, and post information that is well researched and accurate, certainly if anyone can find inaccuracies in what I write let me know, I will be the first one to admit my error.

Appreciate your posting so that I can offer my opinion on the matter. Just keep in mind there is no intention in any of my posts here to be arrogant or self righteous or all knowing. Just attempting to provide valid information.

TOGWT`s post was, in my opinion, not honest. He knows the difference between browning and wicking and if he thinks I am wrong then answer my post to him and explain why I am wrong.

Bud Abraham

Lotuseffect
08-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Buddha quotes?! Wow this forum is awesome. Although I don`t take life lessons about self discipline from a 400 lb God. (that`s a joke to lighten the mood)

While I don`t understand the chemistry behind all that`s being discussed. I do know Manu people use woolite for interior detailing and this isn`t it`s designed purpose. So...

togwt
08-13-2011, 10:04 AM

No hidden agenda, and I don`t post `trick` questions. All I asked was for a clarification of the above statement, as the neutralisation of an acid or alkali is not termed `browning`

buda
08-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Lotuseffect:

Glad you liked the quote from Buddha. However I think you are mixing the Great Buddha up with Ho Tai who was the 400lb god. (to lighten the mood, as you say).

The point of my post about using chemicals for what they are formulated is that detailers use a lot of things that seemingly work to clean cars with no respect to the hidden or long-term damage that the wrong chemical might cause.

For example, it is quite common to use engine degreaser to clean carpets. The logic is that if it is a dilution of 10 to 1 for engines, it is safe to use it 20 to 1 for carpets. Wrong, the formulation of an engine degreaser has ingredients (caustic sodium hydroxide) in it that are harmful to carpet fibers. Sodium hydroxide literally "burns" dirt off metal surfaces. You do not reduce the pH of an engine degreaser by diluting it, all you do is weaken the cleaning action of the chemical. The dangerous ingredients are still there at work.

You can wash your hair with Joy and it would do a good job, but at what cost to your scalp and your hair?

It has always been my contention to keep things simple. If a detailer purchases chemical from a legitimate chemical company and uses them as they are labeled they eliminate any change of damaging a vehicle. Just one more thing to not have to worry about in business. Don`t guess, know what you are doing and by using chemicals in this way you know.

Regards

buda
08-13-2011, 11:09 AM

No hidden agenda, and I don`t post `trick` questions. All I asked was for a clarification of the above statement, as the neutralisation of an acid or alkali is not termed `browning`

John

Thank you for your reply.

We have a misunderstanding here, I also said that browning was a result of alkaline chemical not being neutralized by an acidic rinse. That was the entire point of the post.

I did not say that neutralizing an acidic chemical or an alkaline chemical was termed browning. If it appeared that I did it was not intended.

And, if yours was not a trick question, then I apologize. But knowing the chemical knowledge that you have I thought that it was a seeking an answer to a question you already knew the answer.

Glad we have that straightened out.

Regards