PDA

View Full Version : How can Autopia get better?

Pages : [1] 2

David Fermani
08-08-2011, 09:18 AM
What can the Administration of Autopia.org do to improve the forum? We are open to any and all opinions and would love to here from you. Many may or may not know this, but since the prior owner sold the forum a few years back, we have updated our focus by transforming this site to a truly unbiased one. In case you weren’t aware we also invited dozens of banned members back to show our integrity to this cause. In the interest of having a fair and balanced environment, we encourage members to openly discuss any product you’d like. There will not be deleted/hidden threads or posts if someone chooses to express their feelings (in accordance to the forum rules of course) towards a product in whatever way they choose. This, in addition to other things, is what separates us from other detail forums. With this said; we would like to keep the momentum of this forum moving forward and are eager to hear people’s thoughts. What may be holding this forum back from further growth? What changes would you personally like to see? What can we do to help the professional detailer market themselves better and grow their business? Please let us know how we can help to help you.

Dan
08-08-2011, 10:17 AM
David, I`d love to see the blog section used a bit more for show and shines and articles (posts meant to share information but not necessarily discussion). The problem is, blogs seem very disjointed from the forum, and for that reason I think people avoid using them?

imported_MCA
08-08-2011, 11:02 AM
An idea that I like and have seen on other forums (both detailing/non-detailing related) is the option to "Thank" a post that contributes positively to the discussion at hand. I know this may be frowned upon since it is very similar to the "reputation" system...which can be abused, etc.

A "Product Review" template would be nice to see as well. I still appreciate off-the-cuff reviews but sometimes a few highlights/shortcomings are not listed within the review.

dschribs
08-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Put the 3D and HD adds on the bottom UNDER all the posts...

I know...they help pay the bills so...

gt08vapor
08-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Intstead of just a spot to click on new post, How about add one thats has todays posts. I do not like i i log on, click new posts and start reading. If you walk away from the computer and come back. The new posts will show from the last time you were using the site. So if you only read to posts, walk away and come back. it will update it with just the new post from your last use. If you had a spot that did the paost daily, you can just click on that and be able to read everything from the day.

Hope this makes sencse

Ben@3D
08-08-2011, 01:03 PM
An idea that I like and have seen on other forums (both detailing/non-detailing related) is the option to "Thank" a post that contributes positively to the discussion at hand. I know this may be frowned upon since it is very similar to the "reputation" system...which can be abused, etc.

A "Product Review" template would be nice to see as well. I still appreciate off-the-cuff reviews but sometimes a few highlights/shortcomings are not listed within the review.

Nice ideas, will look into it.

Intstead of just a spot to click on new post, How about add one thats has todays posts. I do not like i i log on, click new posts and start reading. If you walk away from the computer and come back. The new posts will show from the last time you were using the site. So if you only read to posts, walk away and come back. it will update it with just the new post from your last use. If you had a spot that did the paost daily, you can just click on that and be able to read everything from the day.

Hope this makes sencse

That is a great idea and wish there was some way to do it, but in the 4.0+ versions of vbulletin do not have this ability. You can do something similar by doing this:

1. Click on "Mark Forums Read" in the Forum sub-menu.

2. Click on "Whats new".

It will say, No new posts and click here to view posts from last 24 hours.

3. Click on on `here."

This is all the posts for the last 24 hours.

Hope this helps.

gt08vapor
08-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Nice ideas, will look into it.

That is a great idea and wish there was some way to do it, but in the 4.0+ versions of vbulletin do not have this ability. You can do something similar by doing this:

1. Click on "Mark Posts as Read" in the Forum sub-menu.

2. Click on "Whats new".

It will say, No new posts and click here to view posts from last 24 hours.

3. Click on on `here."

This is all the posts for the last 24 hours.

Hope this helps.

Thanks alot, i did not know this could be done.

dschribs
08-08-2011, 02:55 PM
I see "Mark Forums Read" but not "Mark Posts as Read"??

Ch96067
08-08-2011, 05:17 PM
As always asking people`s opinions and suggestions is a great way to enhance functionality and significance of any community. Here are some (work in progress) thoughts.

Expanding on the `being able to chose the articles viewing period`, something that has worked in other forums is being able to select periods like (since last visit, 24hours, 1 week, 1 month etc.). Perhaps this could be an option here as well.

Would it be possible (like through tapatalk) to focus on participated topics?

One way to enhance the site`s appeal and reach could be association/twinning/brotherhood with other detailing sites across the world. This is something that municipalities (at least in europe) do for many years as a means of enhancing cooperation, broadening views and promoting knowledge in various fields.

More thoughts to come feeding off other Autopian`s comments as well.

gt08vapor
08-09-2011, 02:27 PM
The little changes so far are very nice. I really enjoy clicking on the new posts and have them all still there after being away for just a few mins. Search function at the bottom and the like button.

:rockon1:

Tru_Shine
08-09-2011, 03:43 PM
I had already mentioned this to Barry, but what about increasing the amount of pictures that are able to be posted to each thread? Thats one thing that drives me crazy when I try to put together a write up with 90 pics, but i can only put 30 at a time? so i have to separate them x30 and wait 1 min before posting the next 30 pictures. and then there`s always that one guy who post before your done saying "Where`s the rest of the pics" ..... lol that drives me crazy. just my .02

thanks for asking.

-Eric

C. Charles Hahn
08-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Any chance we can cut the wait time between posts down from 60 seconds to.... say 30 seconds?

mikenap
08-09-2011, 07:53 PM
I had already mentioned this to Barry, but what about increasing the amount of pictures that are able to be posted to each thread? Thats one thing that drives me crazy when I try to put together a write up with 90 pics, but i can only put 30 at a time? so i have to separate them x30 and wait 1 min before posting the next 30 pictures. and then there`s always that one guy who post before your done saying "Where`s the rest of the pics" ..... lol that drives me crazy. just my .02

thanks for asking.

-Eric

One easy way to make Autopia better is to ban Eric from having any more avatars!:puke:

Unless that`s what you mean by Doing it Big!:heh:

Barry Theal
08-09-2011, 08:39 PM
One easy way to make Autopia better is to ban Eric from having any more avatars!:puke:

Unless that`s what you mean by Doing it Big!:heh:

OMG I just seen that what was he thinking!

Tru_Shine
08-09-2011, 08:50 PM
lol!!! I need to file a complaint! :rofl: