PDA

View Full Version : Tips on applying Blackfire Wet Diamond?

imported_RedlineIRL
08-07-2011, 11:07 PM
I have been really wanting to try out the bottle of Blackfire Wet Diamond, so I am going to give it a go soon. Before using it I wanted to ask a few thing first to make sure I apply it right. I know with some waxes and sealnts I have used that if you don`t apply them super redicilously thin, you will end up with steaks and hazing from the product sweating out as soon as you pull out in the sun. Which usually requuires a rewash to totally get it out, not fun after spending a long day of detailing as it is.

Is Blackfire Wet Diamond real sensitive in terms of application or which temperature and humidity level its applied in?

I think I am going to try applying the BFWD by machine to ensure even ditstribution and thin layers, just to make sure I don`t over use it by hand. I have never used the PC 7424 to apply any wax or sealant, but I do have a couple 6.5 LC CCS red pads. What is really the optimum amout of product to apply on the pad before starting (don`t want to over do it) and speed should I use? How much product should I need to use for each section? Thanks for any help

Phishy4
08-07-2011, 11:24 PM
BFWD is very forgiving, its very hard to screw up the application. The only time I`ve ever had issues with application in a few years of using it was recently when it was extremely hot and humid (like I shouldn`t have even been outside let alone working on a car hot and humid) and even then, it worked fine, just got a little more "smeary" than normal, but still came off easier than most sealants I`ve ever used. I always apply it with a pc and some sort of glazing/sealant pad like a black or blue lake country. I usally use like 3 small drops to start, the 2 drops per panel after that. Like I said, its hard to really screw it up. It`s sort of a given you`ll use too much the first few times, but it won`t affect it.

gt08vapor
08-07-2011, 11:32 PM
I have only tried a sample of BFWD from a freind. It was easy to work with, and alot goea along way. Put it on thin. We let is sit for about an hour or so before we wiped it off. It did wipe very easily and overall was a great product to work with. I just dont need to buy any sealants for a while, so no need to spend the money on it.

PAR Detailing
08-08-2011, 06:20 AM
I agree BFWD is a very forgiving sealant. Easy to use, so dont put too much thought into it. Just apply as thin as possible and youll be good to go.

Dan
08-08-2011, 07:00 AM
I think you`ll waste more product getting the 6.5" pad primed than you`ll need on the whole car. BFWD goes further than any other sealant I can think of. I`d guess I use less than a 1/4 oz per car.

Guitarist302008
08-08-2011, 12:31 PM
as everyone else has said... thin is key. However, I have had issues with water spots when it was applied and had not had a chance to cure before it rained and it left A LOT of water spotting. I would give it a full 24 hours to cure and then apply at least a second coat if not more to make sure. I have 3 on all of my car except the hood which has 5 layers of Collinite 915.

I found that before it cures it`s also a bit almost foggy looking, but afterward has that nice wet look that it`s known for.

imported_RedlineIRL
08-08-2011, 02:39 PM
A little really does go a long way with the Wet Diamond. I let it dry for 1 1/2 hours and was really impressed on how easily it wiped off and the slickness afterwards.

Does adding a second layer really make a signifigant difference in durability and looks? I have heard to wait anywhere from 8 hours to even a couple hours before its fine to add the second layer of Wet Diamond. With heat and humidity I am sure this makes a larger margin of difference. Since I am working in a garage with no AC and the outside temps in the 90s with 50% humidity, how long should I wait?

imported_DetailDan
08-08-2011, 06:09 PM
A little goes a long way and if you apply too much it isnt an issue. Just try to apply it as thin as possible. Dont apply more than a few dots at a time and you`ll be able to do multiple panels with that.