PDA

View Full Version : help with wheels

Will!
08-03-2011, 08:55 PM
I have a set of Chrome wheels on my truck and there appear to be stains that I cant seem to polish out. I have tried mothers chrome polish with a powerball and the wheels are smooth but the spots are still there. Also I tried a little bit of 0000 steel wool with the polish and no luck either. Please help me these are near new wheels and I would rather not have to replace or rechrome them.

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af359/chevyboy90/IMAG0053.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af359/chevyboy90/IMAG0054.jpg

Brad B
08-06-2011, 12:12 AM
No affect at all? Can you look at the area with a magnifier? I wonder if it`s a manufacturing defect with the chrome.

Accumulator
08-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Will!- Welcome to Autipia!

In that first pic, it sorta looks like the chrome is scratched up, the kind of haze you sometimes see after somebody removes an adhesive wheel weight (not that *that* is what happened in this case, but it does look a lot like what happens when somebody scrubs chrome with the wrong stuff).

lostdaytomorrow
08-09-2011, 07:03 AM
I would try chrome polish on a pm with small 4in. Pads you might just need more time and pressure to get down to it.

wascallyrabbit
08-09-2011, 08:29 AM
keep in mind that chrome is layer of nickel and polished threw. chrome finishes are only as good as the prep work. so if the metal to be chromed is not perfect the chrome finish will show it.

Accumulator
08-09-2011, 01:23 PM
keep in mind that chrome is layer of nickel and polished threw. chrome finishes are only as good as the prep work. so if the metal to be chromed is not perfect the chrome finish will show it.

You mean that "chrome plating is a layer of chromium", right? ;) The chromium is often applied over top of underlying layers of copper and nickel plating, I bet that`s what you were thinking of.

I *LOVE* nickel plating though, "warmer" than chrome...cool "vintage look" on some stuff where chrome would look, too, uhm... blingy.