PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo Selection (besides ONR)

Pages : [1] 2 3

PointyStick
08-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Did a quick search and ONR seems to be very common, but I am looking to still wash with soap, water, washmit and a bucket.

Could anyone suggest a shampoo for the weekly wash. Optimum Car Wash good? Dont mind ordering online.

Car is a 2006 BMW 323i, Arctic White. Currently have a few coats of Menzerna Power Lock, which I follow with coats of P21S 100% Carnauba Wax about monthly. Usually strip everything off and do a clay & polish about every year. On my next wax I am going to try Dodo Juice Diamond White Hard Wax.

Thanks,

2005GTPinMD
08-03-2011, 05:48 AM
I love Optimum Car Wash it is great stuff. It creates nice bubbles, foams up well and leaves a nice finish. I use it in both my foam gun and the wash bucket.

togwt
08-03-2011, 06:04 AM
The normal things to look for in a car wash concentrate is that it; cleans well, is gentle enough on paint protection products, provides more than sufficient surface lubrication, this is very important, as it reduces the possibility of scratches, and that it contains some form of encapsulation (surfactants). Lubricity can come from the hydrocarbon portion of surfactants or it could come from additives such as polymer silicones and fluorocarbons. The lower the coefficient of friction, the higher lubricity the product offers.

Some concentrates add a glossing agent to produce a shine; this is usually a polymer (silicone) which may affect some waxes ability to bead / sheet water

Some car wash products are polymer-based and not soap-based and therefore do not generate foam suds, this doesn’t have a negative effect on cleaning ability as this comes from surfactants. In reality suds (a chemical foaming agent, Diethanolamides or coconut oil) do absolutely nothing to clean, they are simply a structure that a portion of the solution had taken due to being mixed with air. The amount of foaming produced has nothing to do with its cleaning efficiency (although it does provide a means of encapsulation as well as acting a cushion between the paint surfaces and cleaning tool)

I`m sure others will provide their favoured car wash concentrate, fwiw Groit`s Car Wash is one of mine

DM101
08-03-2011, 06:22 AM
This was just talked abot and Griot`s or Duragloss Car Wash Concentrate #901 or 902 gallon seem to be a winners. Duragloss Car Wash Concentrate #901 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-car-wash-concentrate.html)

Accumulator
08-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Optimum, DuraGloss, or (my fave) Griot`s. Subtle diffs between them will make it a personal preference decision.

Phishy4
08-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Optimum`s wash is my favorite, Griots is excellent as well. I`ve never used DG but I`m pretty sure you can`t go wrong with any of these three.

Bill D
08-04-2011, 10:02 AM
DG is pretty slick, leaves that great gloss behind and if you can get it locally at CarQuest near you, it`s a winner; but if I needed more car wash right now, I`d go with Griot`s especially because of the free shipping.

Phishy4
08-04-2011, 10:47 AM
DG is pretty slick, leaves that great gloss behind and if you can get it locally at CarQuest near you, it`s a winner; but if I needed more car wash right now, I`d go with Griot`s especially because of the free shipping.

Advanced Auto Parts carries Griots stuff in some locations too. Actually I found their prices are as good or better than online as well (their speedshine is the same price as online plus it came with the sprayer).

Bill D
08-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Advanced Auto Parts carries Griots stuff in some locations too. Actually I found their prices are as good or better than online as well (their speedshine is the same price as online plus it came with the sprayer).

I just got a gallon of SpeedShine, never saw it in that size at Advanced, but when the shipping promotion is over, I`m probably going to pop on over there a lot more often, even though the new Auto Zone by me is my preferred local parts store.

lostdaytomorrow
08-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Check out chemical guys clear wash and gloss

wascallyrabbit
08-08-2011, 09:17 PM
what nobody using meguairs gold class anymore? i like griots and optimum.

extrabolts
08-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Megs Gold Class is still the best that I recommend in the cheap, over the counter shampoo category. It is better than turtle wax ice, armor all, etc. But really there is a noticeable difference between that and something like Duragloss or even Griots. Anyway, I thought I remember reading that Gold Class was discontinued?

imported_MCA
08-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Megs Gold Class is still the best that I recommend in the cheap, over the counter shampoo category. It is better than turtle wax ice, armor all, etc. But really there is a noticeable difference between that and something like Duragloss or even Griots. Anyway, I thought I remember reading that Gold Class was discontinued?

I completely agree - Meg`s GC is pretty much tops for high-availability, OTC shampoos. I was very disappointed in Meg`s newer OTC shampoo (Ultimate Wash and Wax). With that said, there is definitely a noticeable performance difference when you consider online shampoo products - Some of which are very inexpensive. I would recommend:

- Duragloss 901/902 - available OTC but only in specific regions

- CG Maxi-Suds II - great performance at ~$11 a gallon

- Top of the Line Bubble Bath - very lubricious and gentle... perfect maintenance wash that won`t strip wax

- Griot`s - Great performance but a little on the costly side (~$35 a gallon)

dschribs
08-09-2011, 06:29 AM
I use GC Wash & Gloss (Will last forever at the proper dilution level for a maintenance wash) or Dodo Juice Born to be Mild (smells great)

imported_DetailDan
08-09-2011, 04:06 PM
I like 1z Perls, PB, Lusso. I wasnt too impressed with Griots. Megs GC is fine for OTC.