PDA

View Full Version : What is your FAVORITE wheel tools.....

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

pingable
08-02-2011, 07:32 PM
I`ll admit, I wash my wheels every 2-3 days and my preferred medium of choice is old retired sheepskin mitts. It generally is too soft to remove soil and grit off a daily driver wheels. I also then follow up with retired microfibers.

Other tools of choice are ACE powersticks, and Swisswax wheel brush.

Has anyone come across a conical spoke type brush that ~meets your soft standards~.

I`ve never come across one but sure would love to have one in my stash.

I`m trying to wean myself off using the pressurewasher on the wheels. I run PW at 1800PSI on a 25% tip. Knocked off a wheel weight and did not notice it.......did notice it when I swapped winter tars over to summer tars

David Fermani
08-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Wheel Woolies, Daytona/EZ Brush and lug nut brush are my favorites. Difficult wheels with lots of crevises usually get the manual MF approach.

pingable
08-02-2011, 07:50 PM
How are your whee woolies holding up ?

I had the Griots Lamb *hand pocket* and loved it. When it broke down....it was too $$ for what it was.

I`ve always looked a the Daytona/EZ Brush but having never seen/touched it, it was a hard purchase to buy just due to the bristles.

BTW, one more tool. I love the combination of a Black Schmitt and pressure washer on wheelwells.

David Fermani
08-02-2011, 08:03 PM
The wheel woolies are holding up great. They make 3 sizes. I`ve never had any problems with my Daytona/EZ, especially the newer versions that have more durable rods. They`ve saved my hands multiple times. I`d imagine that if the paint on your wheel barrels is super soft it could pose some minute risk, but don`t know?

Wheelwells.....hands down a PW`r is the ultimate necessity. That thing(especially @ 1800 with the right tip) will make life much easier on not just wheelwells, but pre/post cleaning the entire car. I must have in my arsenal.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
08-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Wheel woolies / RaceGlaze XL brush

wascallyrabbit
08-02-2011, 10:29 PM
ace powerstick and race glaze wheel brush. have been eyeing some wheel woolies.

Ron Ketcham
08-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Wheel Woolies, Daytona/EZ Brush and lug nut brush are my favorites. Difficult wheels with lots of crevises usually get the manual MF approach. The 13 yearold neighborhood gearhead.

He is really involved in learning all things mechanical, been teaching him gas welding, some simple bodywork stuff, etc.

He cleans my wheels, matter of fact often, anything this old body would have to bend over to do if it`s simple.

Beats any other tool I have.

LOL!

Grumpy

wfedwar
08-03-2011, 05:54 AM
EZ detail brush followed by old lambswool mitt

togwt
08-03-2011, 07:42 AM
These are what I consider to be the minimum requirements for a wheel brush-

• Durability: they have to last, even when used with pressure, especially its shaft

• Non-scratch: the material, fibres or the shaft tip must should not cause scratches to the wheel surface

• Cleaning ability: a brush and stem that is able to withstand the (reasonable) pressure required to clean stubborn stains.

• Brush head bristles or fibres that won cause the wheel cleaner to back spray

• Easy cleaned after use

a) The Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush - has a thicker, reinforced stem, but maintains its flexibility although the new stem is more rugged for frequent use on auto wheels. The bristles are slightly feathered on the ends to gently clean delicate wheel finishes, such as coated or plated wheels, without scratching.

b) E-Z Detail Brush - is 18 inches long, 4-1/2 inches in diameter and is super-soft with Nylex bristles, a material that combines the softness of a natural bristle with the strength of nylon. There`s a vinyl tip bonded to the top of the brush and a knuckle guard on the handle but the most impressive feature of this brush is the flexible, inner core. This vinyl-coated wire core will bend in every imaginable direction which allows the brush to get into areas where few other brushes can reach.

E-Z Detail Brush, there are three versions of the brush

• Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush (18 x 4.5 – inch)

• EZ Detail Brush mini (13 x 2.5 – inch )

• EZ Detail Motorcycle Brush (18 x 4.5-inch )

c) Eimann Fabrik Lamb’s Wool Wheel Woolies - wool wheel cleaning brushes, these brushes drastically cut the amount of time it takes to clean almost any kind of wheel. Each brush is 12- inches long with three differing diameter brush head sizes and a chemical resistant handle and a bonded wool head.

d) Spoke & Slot Brush - simple, safe, and effective, ultra-soft bristles squeeze into wheel crevices. Lamb’s Wool Spoke Brush - it replaces those awkward spoke brushes that never seem to be the right size and lack soft bristles on the tip. This tapered ultra soft tool is completely covered with 100% lamb’s wool and is small enough to squeeze between spokes, slots and around bolts 6 1/2" long, 1/2" to 2" in diameter - TOTL

f) Microfiber Cleaning Wand - the special microfiber thick nap cleans tight spaces in; (0.5"x1.5"x12") wheels use dry or moisten with water for extra cleaning power - no chemical cleaners are needed Machine washable, air dry, and no fabric softener. Refills are available – Casabella

g) Power Sticks - are designed to be used with your cordless drill, simply wet the wheel with water, spray on your favourite wheel cleaner, attach the Power Stick to your cordless drill, dip the brush end into a bucket of soapy water and allow the friction of the Power Stick`s Super Soft Cloth to gently scrub away brake dust clear to the back of the wheel.

h) Deluxe Wheel & Brake Dust Remover Brush - was created to make sure those wheels aren`t overlooked. It offers a strong scour pad to remove brake dust from your wheel, as well as an outer soft bristles to clean wheels while protecting that new wheel finish. Grip Tech™ handle for non-slip, easy to grip, with stiff bristle tips to clean in between spokes flexible brush that bends to get into hard to reach rim crevices Removes brake dust and other grime while keeping the wheels shiny and clean

i) Laitner Ergonomic Spoke/ Slot Wheel Brush - removes brake dust between spokes and in narrow slot openings. The narrow wheel brush has soft, chemical resistant bristles to safely clean all types of wheels without scratching. A comfortable handle has a soft, non-slip grip. Polypropylene bristles are securely fastened a soft, non-slip handle with a tough wire core. The wire is completely covered in soft bristles and a rubber tip protects the wheel from contact. The brush is built to withstand solvents, acids, petroleum products, and detergents. The synthetic materials hold up through frequent, repeated use with wheel cleaners and degreasers. If the bristles become flattened, wet the brush and allow it to air dry.

j) The naturally feathered boar’s hair bristles will not scratch, the boar’s hair (BHB) is durable yet very gentle on any surface. Use the Clean Wheel Brush on painted, alloy, chrome, plated, and anodized wheels. The Clean Wheel Lug Nut Brush is also a great small brush for interiors

spotter
08-03-2011, 10:57 AM
All I use is a costco MF towel and ONR. It takes nothing more to clean my wheels since they were treated with OptiCoat 1 year ago.

Accumulator
08-03-2011, 11:28 AM
BHBs of various sizes and styles, big swabs, and the little Griot`s sheepskin mitts for wheels.

I don`t know how you folks get the results you`re after with the EZ Brushes, I simply hate mine for use on wheels, but OK...whatever works for you, that`s what counts. I thought they might be good on the beater-Audi`s BBS wheels, but nope...back to my other stuff.

I don`t clean them with MFs very much because the MF tends to retain nasty [stuff] that might mar the finish.

The 13 yearold neighborhood gearhead...

Heh heh, that`s perfect :chuckle:

And seriously, that kid`s getting one [heck] of an intro to this stuff, knowing you :xyxthumbs

wascallyrabbit
08-05-2011, 03:55 PM
The 13 yearold neighborhood gearhead.

wish that was an option.

imported_DetailDan
08-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Swissvax wheel brush and the wheel woolies. However, unfortunately my big wheel woolie is starting to unravel. I also dont like the EZ detail brush, great idea just not durable at all.

wascallyrabbit
08-05-2011, 05:27 PM
how much use has you wheel woolies seen? particularly the large one.

imported_DetailDan
08-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Well, I`ve only had it for about 3 months now. I love them, but you do need to be careful with the large one.