PDA

View Full Version : Working As Detailer at Dealership Questions

pfcperry18
08-02-2011, 04:39 AM
Hi. I`m new to this forum, but not detailing cars. I learned everything I know from my dad. He worked at a VERY reputable detailing shop for YEARS (they are out of business now) & and now I want to work as a detailer. He suggested I start at a dealership to get some work experience and then move on to better jobs. Anything I should know about dealership procedures in detailing?

Do they usually just do a quick, low quality cleaning or take their job seriously? Can I use my own supplies or do they supply them (even if they are crapola)?

Sorry if this is the wrong section for this. Like I said, I`m new.:nervous:

pfcperry18
08-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Anyone??? I Kinda need some advice here!!!!

Ron Ketcham
08-04-2011, 01:58 PM
OK, usually they supply the tools, chemicals, towels, etc.

The chemical are normally purchased through a truck jobber, and price is the main reason for buying.

A detailer has little to say about what brand, product etc, as the new car prep is charged to service which then charges to the new car dept. Same with the Used Car dept.

These managers, from Service to the Car dept managers are on a bonus system that is affected by every cost charged againist their area of responsibility, IE, cheap/fast/get the iron on the lot and over the curb!

That said, not all managers are going to go the cheap way, and the best of all worlds is an owner, who is on site, that is a true car guy, not just a money man.

If you know there is that kind of owner, and can communicate with them (don`t bug em,just say some smart things once in a while) and you may be able to improve the vehicles, have decent equipement and not have some money hungry manager beating you up everyday for taking the time to do things right.

Over the past 40+ years I have taught a few thousand detailers the trade.

Not many last, who work at dealerships, they either go out on their own or move to another industry.

Grumpy

Bill D
08-04-2011, 02:02 PM
It`s very sad that is the way it works most of the time. It`s understandable how we as Autopians cringe when it`s time to buy a new car from a dealer. There`s no telling who`s a car guy owner, let alone a detailing oriented owner. :(

Accumulator
08-04-2011, 02:12 PM
I enjoyed my time working detailing at a dealership, learned quite a bit (both how/how not to do tings). I would sometimes buy my own stuff so I could do the job right, but I wasn`t in it for every last penny I could earn either and I knew some of their approaches were simply wrong.

Nah, they didn`t care if I brought in my own stuff, I ended up being the only guy allowed to work on dark cars :D Oddly enough what bugged them was that I wanted to work off-the-clock when I needed extra time; I think it bothered the other employees, made `em look/feel lazy.

But of course YMMV as every place is different.