PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever had to remove clay from leather before?

BluBrett
08-01-2011, 03:28 PM
I helped detail a friend`s car yesterday and at some point, sat on a piece of Meg`s clay. It stuck to me until I got into my Acura and sat down. I tried to remove the clay residue with HD UNO, 3D APC, painter`s tape, and I even tried claying it away. Nothing has worked so far. I picked it down to a thin layer, but this thin layer won`t come off. Anyone have experience with this?

togwt
08-02-2011, 03:00 AM
Try an ice cube, it will re-solidify the clay to aid its removal

lostdaytomorrow
08-09-2011, 09:33 AM
How about adhesive remover or goo gone. Test on a small area first unseen.

Roger Koh
08-09-2011, 11:47 AM
I helped detail a friend`s car yesterday and at some point, sat on a piece of Meg`s clay. It stuck to me until I got into my Acura and sat down. I tried to remove the clay residue with HD UNO, 3D APC, painter`s tape, and I even tried claying it away. Nothing has worked so far. I picked it down to a thin layer, but this thin layer won`t come off. Anyone have experience with this?

Have you solve your problem yet?

Roger Koh

[email protected]

David Fermani
08-09-2011, 11:52 AM
How would you go about handling this problem Roger?

Roger Koh
08-09-2011, 01:14 PM

On smooth surface use Leather Prep-7.7 with Leather Eraser-4.

On heavy grain surface use Leather Prep-7.7 with detail horsehair Brush-2.

Google - Kit AP3.gs

Roger Koh

[email protected]

C. Charles Hahn
08-09-2011, 07:43 PM

With all due respect, why does Roger get to post here and suggest/recommend/support his products when other vendors who post here to support the use of their products get run off the forum?

David Fermani
08-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Great point Charlie and thanks for bringing this up. A PM will be sent to Roger so he understands the rules. We`ve been too involved with growing the forum and have been lax with the enforcement of the rules. Please excuse our absence to these matters.

Brad B
08-09-2011, 09:36 PM
I had this very thing happen on a perforated leather seat just recently. (I sat on my clay...doh!) I did what was suggested by TOGWT, chilled it with a piece of plastic bondo spreader taken from the freezer. Lay the cold spreader on the clay, then find an edge and slide under and scoop off. The residue came off easily with leather cleaner/dressing.

imported_Picus
08-09-2011, 10:15 PM
So funny, I just had to do this on my car before I sold it. I had some clay on the back seats. I used steam, low temp, low steam, constant movement. It basically melted the clay and I was able to wipe off without using any chemicals.

BluBrett
08-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Ice did nothing for me, unfortunately.

I ended up using letting of 3D`s leather cleaners sit for a while and then rubbed gently. Clay = gone! Thanks for the help, everybody!

b34tBoX
08-10-2011, 08:05 PM
3D to the rescue!

I still have not had the opportunity to try any of their products.