PDA

View Full Version : Touch Up Paint Disaster

pswart
07-31-2011, 09:59 AM
Hello,

I have been ignoring my car for a few years, so I bought a Porter and all of the related products (wash, claybar, polish, wax) to give my 2000 Prelude a nice treatment.

I also bought some touchup paint from the dealership to touch up stone chips all over the place. Now that the paint has dried it`s a different colour. How can I fix this???

I tried polishing it with the Porter and Poorboys 2.5 but it didn`t help.

Please help!!!!

Thanks.

SpoolinNoMore
07-31-2011, 10:04 AM
I`ve had the same problem with my MDX, it`s just something you have to live with I`m beginning to think. If your touch up paint is showing a lighter color, the rest of your paint was fading (needs polishing/compounding badly). If the touch up is lighter (like mine is), you can`t do much for it :-/

Accumulator
07-31-2011, 10:46 AM
pswart- Welcome to Autopia!

Not unusual for touchups to match poorly, probably more unusual for them to match well!

I`d "clean off" the touchup paint with something like Langka Blob Eliminator (others would use lacquer thinner) and try again with some other brand of touchup paint. Or just have the panel(s) in question resprayed by somebody good.

pswart
07-31-2011, 02:08 PM
The touch up paint is actually darker than my paint...Maybe I`ll try that Langka Blob Eliminator. If anyone else has experiences, please feel free to chime in.

Thank you very much!

Ron Ketcham
07-31-2011, 02:39 PM
I didn`t notice if you mentioned the color of the paint.

On many colors, the vehicle manufacturer will use a "tinted" primer before the color coat.

Wrong primer, color will be off, darker or lighter.

Take a look at what the primer (not the ecoat) is and try to find that same color primer, then apply the touch-up.

May help, then again, may not.

Grumpy

Dan
07-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Langka will remove it easily. The stuff works on touchup paint that is years old.

lostdaytomorrow
08-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Always try to test out touch up. Paint on one spot before doing a lot of spots. You could use the blob remover or a light acetone mixture to get the touch up paint off. If course be sure to wash the area very well after acetone application and test on a small area first unseen.