PDA

View Full Version : Washing with city water?

Pages : [1] 2

DetailnByDustn
07-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Looking for a cheap way to filter city water so it wont leave spots all over the paint after washing. The water here on base has chlorine in it.

C. Charles Hahn
07-31-2011, 04:03 PM
Sounds like you need a CR Spotless...

Bill D
07-31-2011, 04:52 PM
If you`d like to "get your feet wet" with a basic filter, here`s the kind I started out with:

Garden Hose Filters – Pure Water Products, LLC (http://www.purewaterproducts.com/gardenhosefilters.htm)

Juan@Turbo Wax
07-31-2011, 05:07 PM
"cheap way" :chuckle:

One inexpensive way is to install one of those `Garden Water Filtration System` with a Pre Filter.

Lonnie
07-31-2011, 07:10 PM
I don`t think it`s the chlorine, sounds more like a mineral problem. Check with you municiple water department and ask (or look on-line) for the analysis of your water quality and what the particulate counts are. Here in Green Bay, WI we get our water from Lake Michigan, but because we are located on the Niagara Escarpment (think BIG limestone formation underground) our water is harder than most. Yes, they do chlorinate the water here. And yes, if I do a wash in the sun, it will waterspot. (Humm, maybe it IS the chlorine!!) Can someone else with more experience verify this??

The other is the staining from rain-driven wet leaves in the fall. Certain trees around here (like red maples and red and white oaks) leave (no pun intended!) nasty stains that if not addressed in a few days can embed into the clearcoat from the chemical reaction between the decaying leaf material, moisture, and sun`s heat.

1BADTUNDRA
07-31-2011, 09:33 PM
I want to buy a CRspotles but want to also do reverse osmosis before it as my tap is at 300PPM. Does anyone in here do this?

careboy
07-31-2011, 10:50 PM
"cheap way"

http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/20.creation.jpg

DetailnByDustn
08-01-2011, 01:16 AM
I would love to buy a CR Spotless system but $350 is a lot of money to throw down at one time. I have read a couple forums talking about this site: Garden Hose Filters – Pure Water Products, LLC (http://www.purewaterproducts.com/gardenhosefilters.htm) . My main concern is that I need a unit that I could move often, so I can take it to my buddies garage and help them detail their cars.

togwt
08-01-2011, 05:00 AM
Many detailers don’t have a water filtration installed so washing the vehicle with ordinary tap water and a garden hose is the only option. Here’s a way to minimize the effects of hard water when washing your vehicle.

If you are using tap water that contains high levels of minerals such as calcium hydroxide or silicates, some of the polymers will bond to these minerals and take them out of solution therefore more product might be necessary to compensate for this effect.

By adding Optimum (OPT) No Rinse Wash™ & Shine New Formula (ONR).to a regular car wash soap will improves the results when using tap water (0.5 oz / gallon) always add it to the water to remove the minerals before adding your soap. This will maximize the benefits of using No Rinse in this manner.

By washing after the sun has set, the air has cooled, the dew point has risen (more moisture in the air means water evaporates more slowly), and an added advantage is that the bombers of the air have flown home to roost.

the other pc
08-01-2011, 10:22 AM
This subject has been discussed at great length around here but as usual, if you don`t know the history it`s hard to do a search for it.

A good place to start is: *Cheap* replacement for CRSpotless (http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/105566-*cheap*-replacement-crspotless-17.html)

SuperBee364 really put a lot of effort into it. If you search for "spotless" posts by SuperBee364 (http://www.autopia.org/forum/search.php?searchid=1143235) you`ll find some stuff.

The bottom line is that there is no such thing as cheap, easy water demineralization. But there are some savings to be found if you do your homework and are willing to make some trade-offs.

pc.

lostdaytomorrow
08-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Yeah I agree with the poster above that there just isn`t a cheap solution if you still want good water pressure coming out and you want it purified.

Ch96067
08-09-2011, 11:56 AM
By adding Optimum (OPT) No Rinse Wash™ & Shine New Formula (ONR).to a regular car wash soap will improves the results when using tap water (0.5 oz / gallon) always add it to the water to remove the minerals before adding your soap. This will maximize the benefits of using No Rinse in this manner.

As I am using city water too without filtration at the moment, the idea of ONR induced neutralization sounds interesting. Would the normal shampoo be used in the normal dilution or would the 0,5oz be taken out?

Accumulator
08-09-2011, 01:38 PM
I want to buy a CRspotles but want to also do reverse osmosis before it as my tap is at 300PPM. Does anyone in here do this?

I dunno about ROing the water first. All the RO systems I`ve seen a) have a low output that takes forever to produce a large enough quantity (not nearly enough output to supply a CRS unit) and b) waste a *LOT* of water in the process. I`m not down on RO systems, I have two for drinking water here at the house, but IMO it`s not a solution for this problem.

Sounds to me like you need a softner and maybe then a CRS. With maybe a prefilter or two upstream from the softener. That`s what I use- two prefilters, a softener, and then a CRS (which I only use now and then).

Brad B
08-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Griots Garage and others have a filter that attaches to the hose that I have used for a couple years, mainly in winter when I want a quick wash but want to skip a proper drying. Not as good as a CR Spotless but cheaper and gets the job done.

Nopstnz8
08-09-2011, 10:29 PM
I am looking to try out the water filtration method for my hose water because I believe it is awfully hard here at my apartment compared to home. I live in San Luis Obispo, and they say the water hardness here is around 200-370 mg/l. I noticed on the website that they have kits for different types of minerals in the water. I looked at the chart for my area, but I`m kinda confused on how to read it. Can someone recommend the proper kit I should buy for my area? Thanks.

Garden Hose Filters – Pure Water Products, LLC (http://www.purewaterproducts.com/gardenhosefilters.htm)

I`ve been using ONR here, but the water is still very hard. I`m going to try to up the ONR concentration, but the water softener is my main priority since it will be more effective.