PDA

View Full Version : Optimum basics

Fallz
07-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Trying to find a product line for my new black GMC truck. It does sit outside most of the time. So I am looking for deep , wet , durability and the reason Im asking about Optimum is that I do use ONR for washing and like it.

What are the basics I will need to try ?

I do have a bottle of poli seal but it is from when it first came out and I didnt care for it , but maybe the formula has changed to be a good base AIO to start with then maybe some opti seal or ???? give me some advice please.

Dan
07-29-2011, 02:45 PM
I`m with you on Poliseal, its just a middle of the road product. It cleans ok, shines ok and lasts ok. That would be fine if there weren`t products that excel at all three.

Optiseal is one of my favorite products as well as Optimum Car Wax. I`d get both. They play nice with just about anything else too.

TLMitchell
07-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Trying to find a product line for my new black GMC truck. It does sit outside most of the time. So I am looking for deep , wet , durability and the reason Im asking about Optimum is that I do use ONR for washing and like it.

What are the basics I will need to try ?

I do have a bottle of poli seal but it is from when it first came out and I didnt care for it , but maybe the formula has changed to be a good base AIO to start with then maybe some opti seal or ???? give me some advice please.

I use products from many different manufacturers. If I had to pick just one product family to use exclusively it would probably be Optimum.

I like both Optimum Hyper Polish and Compounds for correction and polishing. Superior to the previous products, IMO. Poli Seal is actually a pretty good AIO if it`s for someone that may not be quite as discriminating. Opti Seal is quick and easy to use and has good gloss and longevity, same for OCW. There`s some that have had good results adding a bit of Optimum Polish to PoliSeal for a bit more cut as well as adding a bit of OptiSeal to it for better longevity. A post I saw recently somewhereoranother mentioned Dr. G. actually advocated this.

If I had a black truck that sits outside and didn`t want to be polishing swirls or marring out a couple of times a year I`d use Opti Coat. It`s as easy to use as Opti Seal and it`s a permanent coating. It has good gloss and slickness and you can top it with OCW occasionally if you want that just-waxed look. I`ve seen some longevity posts where it still beads and sheets a year after application as well as when it was first applied.

I have a white extended cab that gets parked inside so I don`t have the issues you do. However, it`s a BIG chore to do a full polish and LSP and I`d like to keep it looking pristine with less work at longer intervals and spend my time polishing someone else`s ride and getting paid for it. I picked up some Opti Coat primarily for my bike with soft, black paint to hopefully add some swirl-resistance. I will be using it on the truck too eventually. After my semi-annual wheel well detarring and cleaning I was going to do the usual sealant job on the painted surfaces under there. I decided to give the Opti Coat a look-see for a first application on an inconspicous area so I`d better know what to expect when I`m applying it to a black bike with sensitive, soft paint. The stuff goes on as easy as Opti Seal and a drop or two goes a very long way! Great gloss and slickness.... hopefully tar and road crud will be easier to remove from the wells in the future. Opti Coat has got to be the ticket for a DD that gets parked outside, IMO.

TL

EDIT: Great timing.. Scottwax just posted an update on Opti Coat longevity.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/136552-22-month-opti-coat-update.html

Fallz
07-31-2011, 03:13 PM
Sounds like a good plan . I will order from them this week .

What can I expect from the OID compared to fk425 ?

Also what can I expect from opti-seal ?