PDA

View Full Version : Buffer pad question

QuattRob
07-27-2011, 12:57 AM
Hi guys,

Just received a gift of a PC 7424XP with a couple Meguiar`s 6.5" foam pads, but I need a backing plate. I`m looking at the following:

PC 15000 5"

PC 18001 6"

Meguiar`s W64 (not even sure if this will work without some sort of adapter, as the photos don`t show that it has a pin)

Which would you suggest? I`m leaning towards the PC15000 5" as the 7424XP has a stock 5" counterbalance (at least from what I understand) and thought maybe it would have less vibration. Am I totally talking out of my butt? I`ve spent hours reading trying to figure this out, as I HATE forum threads where people post the same questions over and over because no one knows how to use the search button. Having said that, I`m sure my questions has been answered a thousand times and I was just too dumb to find it.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please post. I`m trying to stick with stuff I can order from Amazon so that I can use my Prime account and still get everything in time for this weekend.

I`ll be using:

Meguiar`s 8006 foam pad

Meguiar`s 9006 foam pad

1Z paint polish

1Z Glanz

Eurow Microfiber Double Density Towels 660gsm

Still need to get a clay bar/quick detail spray kit. Any suggestions on that for something reasonably priced? I do have the Griot`s HQ store here in town so I could just walk in, but theirs is kinda pricey and I`ve read about complaints of it being too stiff. Any thoughts on that?

Wouldn`t mind hearing input on my product choices. I`m not a pro. Hell, I`m not even a novice yet. This will be the first time I`ve waxed a car in years. The car is an `02 Audi S8 in Ming Blue. It`s got light swirling. I have no idea if Audi`s paint is typically "hard" or "soft". I didn`t even know there were different hardnesses until I read people talking about it on here.

Thanks guys,

Rob

Accumulator
07-27-2011, 11:08 AM
QuattRob- Welcome to Autopia! Fellow Audi nut here (`93 V8, `00 A8, `01 S8).

Audi clear is quite hard, as hard as the "ceramic" clear on Benzes that people complain about.

The general rule is that you want a backing plate that`s about 1/2" smaller than the pad.

Use the pads with the threaded stud, and don`t use adaptors as they sometimes fail in a huge way at the wrong moment.

Don`t worry about the counterweight. While I prefer the larger ("for 6" pads") one, it`s not a big deal. You could always buy the larger weight, they`re cheap.

So you`d want the 6" plate for use with 6.5" pads, but I`m afraid those big pads, on a PC, won`t do much on Audi clear. When you apply the required amount of downward pressure, the large surface area will creat SO much friction that the pad will merely "jiggle" and little will get accomplished.

You`d be better off getting a smaller backing plate and smaller pads. Even though you`d cover less ground, at least something would get done.

O the 1Z PP...it won`t do much serious correction on Audi clear. I can`t say whether you`ll think it`s nice enough for a final polish on your Ming Blue, but maybe you`ll like it (I use it on my blue `93). IMO it`s well matched to the Griot`s orange polishing pad (which is very different from other "orange pads").

You may very well need to use some stronger product before the 1Z PP. Meguiar`s M105 comes to mind. I also like Optimum`s Hyper Compound, which is much more user-friendly, but the OHC isn`t very aggressive on Audi clear. Eh...it mght be enough for "mild swirling", it was kinda OK on my `93 but I had to go over some areas many times (before I just got out the M105).

Lucky you, being near Griot`s! Their clay is OK, not too stiff by any means IMO, but I don`t like using their SpeedShine with it as the SpeedShine seems to "over lubricate" the clay. Eh, maybe it`s just me...I`d try it.

BTW, I simply *LOVE* Griot`s Car Wash, it`s all I use.

I`d skip their polishes and waxes though.

Bill D
07-27-2011, 11:13 AM
QuattRob-

:welcome

I`m also an Audi guy --brilliant black `03 A4 1.8T Quattro

My polish of choice for dealing with mild marring on infamous Audi clear is Menzerna PO85RD. It`s my favorite correction product, a champagne of polishes if you will.

You could use this in your "jeweling step" following the Megs "M twins" :M105 and M205 or the Optimum product.

Sometimes you have to play around to find the right "recipe" and the Audi clear certainly is a challenge but its super rewarding and the quality is fantastic once it`s all cleaned up.

Do let us know how your procedure worked out! :wavey

4AudiQ
07-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Here is my procedure:

Detailing - 5 Steps:

Step 1 - Clay Bar.

Step 2 - Meguiar’s M105 with the Yellow Pad

(Heavy Cut) (Compound)

Step 3 - Meguiar’s M205 using the White pads

(Medium Cut) (Polish)

Step 4 - Menzerna PO85RD using the Black pads

(Finishing Polish)

Step 5 - Menzerna Power Lock using the Gold pads

(Seal)

M105 Polish (Compound):

Step 2

* Procedure - Work on areas of about 2 square feet.

1. Apply two, 8 inch lines of polish on the paint.

2. Mist the foam compounding pad with water or foam pad lubricant and, with machine off, spread polish over the surface. (Yellow Pad)

3. Set the Porter Cable`s speed control between 3-1/2 and 4.

4. Place the pad on the paint and turn the polisher on.

5. Work over the area in a figure-8 pattern until almost dry.

6. Mist the surface with a 50/50 solution of Isopropyl Alcohol and water.

7. Wipe off residues and inspect the surface. If defects and swirls are still present, continue compounding.

Autopia response of 12/27/06:

“An aside for using Menzerna Intensive Polish (PO91L) that you have in white rectangular bottles - these products respond well to a "slow-cutting" method by PC. The abrasives in these are aluminum oxide and are quite brittle, so too much pressure at the start shatters the abrasives before they have had a chance to break down naturally by cutting... To get round this, I apply as follows: spread polish at speed 3 with no pressure and then make three passes at speed 5 with no pressure; stop machine, spritz pad and then make three more passes at speed 5 with no pressure; stop the machine, spritz pad and make three more passes at speed 5 with no pressure; stop the machine, spritz pad and then make three or four passes at speed 6 with medium pressure. This allows the abrasives to break down by cutting and I have had better defect removal results using this technique, so if you are having difficulties using the "standard" methods, this is well worth a try”

Spread Polish at Speed 3, no pressure.

3 passes at Speed 5 X 3, spritz with no pressure.

3 passes at Speed 6, spritz with medium pressure.

M205:

Procedure - Work on areas of about 2 square feet.

Step 3 - M205 using the White pads

2. Mist a White Foam Polishing Pad with water and, with machine off, spread polish over the surface. (White Pad)

6. Spray the surface with a 50/50 solution of Isopropyl Alcohol and water. Wipe off polishing residues with a Microfiber cloth until surface is dry. Continue polishing in 2 square foot sections until vehicle is done.

Micro Polish:

Step 4 - Menzerna PO85RD using the Black pads

2. Mist a Black Foam Polishing Pad with water and, with machine off, spread polish over the surface. (Black Pad)

6. Spray the surface with a 50/50 solution of Isopropyl Alcohol and water. Wipe off polishing residues with a Microfiber cloth until surface is dry. Continue polishing in 2 square foot sections until vehicle is done.

Seal:

Step 5 - Menzerna Power Lock using the Gold pads

2. Mist a Gold Foam Polishing Pad with water and, with machine off, spread polish over the surface. (Gold Pad)

6. Wipe off polishing residues with a Microfiber cloth until surface is dry. Continue polishing in 2 square foot sections until vehicle is done.

QuattRob
07-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks guys!

Incidentally, being fellow Audi guys, are you on the Quattroworld forums too?

So, I understand the concern about using 6.5" pads. Maybe I should scrap the 6.5" pads and get a 5" backing plate and some 5" pads? That would be about a 40% reduction in pad surface area. I`m only invested in two 6.5" Megs foam pads, so not a big deal.

The Menzera stuff sounds great, but crap it`s expensive! The 1Z stuff is only $20 per product. I suppose if I get the Meg`s M105 and M205 in 8oz containers for around $10/ea, it will afford me to spend more on the Menzerna products.

By the way, I was looking at the Meg`s Microfiber Paint correction system and it appears to get good reviews. Do you think that would work well for me?

Thanks again,

Rob

Bill D
07-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys!

I`m not. I used to browse Audi forums years ago when I was new to owning mine, but no. Just too many forums, not enough time for me.

The Menzera stuff sounds great, but crap it`s expensive! The 1Z stuff is only $20 per product. I suppose if I get the Meg`s M105 and M205 in 8oz containers for around $10/ea, it will afford me to spend more on the Menzerna products.

That`s what I did regarding the Meg`s. If it helps much, consider that once you`ve purchased the Menzerna, you`ll probably have it for years. A little does go a long way. It`s the first product line I can honestly say I`ve been truly satisfied with but that doesn`t stop me from still doing flaor of the month every now and then.

By the way, I was looking at the Meg`s Microfiber Paint correction system and it appears to get good reviews. Do you think that would work well for me?

I think your car is a good candidate but I`ll let someone who actually owns and uses that system to comment and give you some pointers from their experience.

Accumulator
07-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks guys!

Not me either, I spend so much time here that I try to avoid other online forums!

So, I understand the concern about using 6.5" pads. Maybe I should scrap the 6.5" pads and get a 5" backing plate and some 5" pads?

That would be about a 40% reduction in pad surface area. I`m only invested in two 6.5" Megs foam pads, so not a big deal.

That would probably be a good idea.

If you don`t mind struggling with it a little, you could get the M105. You can even use the 1Z PP as a follow-up to M105, at least until you run out of the 1Z (which sure is a user-friendly product).

Some people disparage the 1Z PP because the wax/stuff it leaves behind can hide a little marring, but I don`t worry about that.

Everybody who`s used it seems to like it. No first-hand exeperience here, but I doubt you`d be disappointed.

Oh, one more thing- keep abrasives off the aluminum exterior trim, it`s very fragile and once you polish thorugh the clear anodizing you have to keep repolishing it all the time.

dschia
07-29-2011, 01:21 AM
Thanks guys!

So, I understand the concern about using 6.5" pads. Maybe I should scrap the 6.5" pads and get a 5" backing plate and some 5" pads? That would be about a 40% reduction in pad surface area. I`m only invested in two 6.5" Megs foam pads, so not a big deal.

Thanks again,

Rob

Menzerna stuff ain`t that expensive as it looks to be when you factor in; how much product you actually use as compared to other polishes, how much slower the foam pad get satuated, time save from the need to prime pad `thoroughly` and clearing polish residue when used with a rotary. Menz are old but gold.

However, if I am using only a DA, I will choose the Meg d300/m105 with MF cutting pad for my cutting purposes. It does offer a great amount of cut in a much shorter work cycle than the traditional way you do with a DA. I can`t think other method that is so user friendly, cut as much and fast.

QuattRob
07-30-2011, 02:39 PM
I think I`m gonna go ahead and try the Meg`s 5" DA MF system. I can always upgrade later, but it just seems like a good way to go for a total beginner like me.

Just to clarify, I can`t add Powerlock on top of the Meg`s system, correct? I believe the second stage of the Meg`s system has some carnauba in it.

Guys, thanks again for all the help and tips.

Rob

Accumulator
07-31-2011, 11:11 AM
..Just to clarify, I can`t add Powerlock on top of the Meg`s system, correct? I believe the second stage of the Meg`s system has some carnauba in it.

That`s a safe assumption IMO. You might want to do some "topping" with a carnauba every now and then so you`re not 100% dependent on the wax in the Meg`s stuff.

QuattRob
08-01-2011, 02:13 PM
That`s a safe assumption IMO. You might want to do some "topping" with a carnauba every now and then so you`re not 100% dependent on the wax in the Meg`s stuff.

I`ll do that. Any suggestions on which product?

Accumulator
08-02-2011, 12:03 PM
I`ll do that. Any suggestions on which product?

I`ve never used the meguiar`s finishing polish/LSP that you`re using, so I hesitate to say, not knowing how it behaves when another product is applied over top of it..but I`d probably suggest Collinite, their 845 (liquid) or 476S (durable paste) or 915 (higher carnauba, less durable paste).