PDA

View Full Version : to clear bra or not to clear bra

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_tuffluck
07-26-2011, 11:40 AM
i`m considering this on the front bumper only in order to prevent rock chips, etc. on a dark colored car i feel this is almost a must, or just expect to get a repaint every other year on the bumper.

what`s the process of putting one on, and how many of you guys recommend it? do you polish the bumper yourself and then take it in to a shop, or do they do it for you? i just have this fear that i would take it to them, they would wash it and then swirl the hell out of it, and then put the bra on and you would see insane swirls underneath the bra and could not do anything about them.

thanks for the help...if you have any suggestions for places to go in dallas, that would be awesome.

RaskyR1
07-26-2011, 01:19 PM
i`m considering this on the front bumper only in order to prevent rock chips, etc. on a dark colored car i feel this is almost a must, or just expect to get a repaint every other year on the bumper.

what`s the process of putting one on, and how many of you guys recommend it? do you polish the bumper yourself and then take it in to a shop, or do they do it for you? i just have this fear that i would take it to them, they would wash it and then swirl the hell out of it, and then put the bra on and you would see insane swirls underneath the bra and could not do anything about them.

thanks for the help...if you have any suggestions for places to go in dallas, that would be awesome.

Not sure what the grill you linked has to do with a clear bra, but I personally hate PPF (clear bra) and will never apply it to one of my cars again.

When clear film is install correctly (full panel wrap), it`s not so bad, but I still don`t care for them, and they can make my job a LOT more work, especially when they are done using pre-cut films.

Why I think they are a waste:

-The film may not chip, but it still pits just like the paint, and looks terrible over time.

-Plastic bumper covers rarely chip, and for the cost of a good clear film install on them you could have the entire bumper repainted later.

-I put 18" film on my hood and fenders....now I have tons of chips beyond the film and it looks stupid, at least without the film it would be uniform looking.

-Stretch marks! Nothing worse than seeing a film on your car that look like it just went through 9 months of pregnancy!

-Edges, edges, and more edges! I hate them!

-Defect removal is more difficult and can be much more limited.

-Texture/appearance difference (not so bad on some newer films)

If you choose to get it done I suggest wrapping the whole panel and having all edges wrapped leaving little or no seams. I utterly despise pre-cut film! Many shops (at least in my area) are becoming lazy (or simply lack skill) and they cut corners with their installs...there is no reason I should be seeing tiny triangle relief cuts on the front edge of hoods! Once you try to polish a trashed black vehicle that has pre-cut film all over it, leaving .05-.13 inch gaps between the film and the panel edges, rather than wrapping over them, you will know why I hate them. Basically it means there will be film edges between the bumper cover and the fenders, around the head lights, grill, and fog lights, side mirrors, ect...

Just my $.02

Rasky

imported_tuffluck
07-26-2011, 01:34 PM
when i typed "front bumper" it automatically pasted it as a link. i did not link to that at all...i have no idea what the link even is. it probably linked again in this post.

thanks for the useful post. i know some people don`t mind them, and i`d be curious to hear from them also.

SpoolinNoMore
07-27-2011, 10:01 AM
The clear bra I had on my old Honda from the dealership worked amazingly well. Made numerous long highway trips with it and never received a single rock chip. Maybe there are inferior thinner films out there that pit, but mine looked good as new when I sold that car. My Acura now has literally dozens of rock chips in the bumper cover and front of the hood. It really could use a respray, but I`m trying my hand at touch up paint detailing with it first. If I cared enough, I`d get that bumper, hood, and fenders resprayed and get a good 3M clear bra on it for sure. Just be sure to tape up the trim of the bra when polishing/LSP application :)

David Fermani
07-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Not sure what the grill you linked has to do with a clear bra, but I personally hate PPF (clear bra) and will never apply it to one of my cars again.

When clear film is install correctly (full panel wrap), it`s not so bad, but I still don`t care for them, and they can make my job a LOT more work, especially when they are done using pre-cut films.

Why I think they are a waste:

-The film may not chip, but it still pits just like the paint, and looks terrible over time.

-Plastic bumper covers rarely chip, and for the cost of a good clear film install on them you could have the entire bumper repainted later.

-I put 18" film on my hood and fenders....now I have tons of chips beyond the film and it looks stupid, at least without the film it would be uniform looking.

-Stretch marks! Nothing worse than seeing a film on your car that look like it just went through 9 months of pregnancy!

-Edges, edges, and more edges! I hate them!

-Defect removal is more difficult and can be much more limited.

-Texture/appearance difference (not so bad on some newer films)

If you choose to get it done I suggest wrapping the whole panel and having all edges wrapped leaving little or no seams. I utterly despise pre-cut film! Many shops (at least in my area) are becoming lazy (or simply lack skill) and they cut corners with their installs...there is no reason I should be seeing tiny triangle relief cuts on the front edge of hoods! Once you try to polish a trashed black vehicle that has pre-cut film all over it, leaving .05-.13 inch gaps between the film and the panel edges, rather than wrapping over them, you will know why I hate them. Basically it means there will be film edges between the bumper cover and the fenders, around the head lights, grill, and fog lights, side mirrors, ect...

Just my $.02

Rasky

Spot on. Your opinion is worth much more than $.02. Clear Bra prices have gotten out of control. Unless you`re protection some pretty valueable paint that is a bi*ch to color tint, I would go riding bare back.

Bill D
07-27-2011, 11:06 AM
I have a good ol` fashioned vinyl bra for one of my vehicles back when it traveled often on the Jersey Turnpike. I just put it on before I knew I was making the trip and removed it later or before I washed it. I always put a strip of blue painters tape on the paint of the hood underneath where the bra positioned to avoid marring. Worked okay. The majority of my local driving wasn`t rock trip prone so I didn`t have to use the bra then. Either way, clear or vinyl, there is always some kind of PITA associated with using them but I`d rather put with them then fill in chips.

RaskyR1
07-27-2011, 11:36 AM
I love clear bra!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/C63/C63-3.jpg

Good times!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/RX450/20110319-_MG_4415.jpg

Clear film on door edges....my favorite!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/IS250/20110305-_MG_4321.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/C63/C63-4.jpg

My car as I removed the PPF crap from it....notice the pitting in the sun? My bumper cover was never wrapped, but is still virtually free of chips, though pitted like the film is...Howvery, the metal hood beyond the film is peppered with large chips.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/tsx/IMG_0961.jpg

Did I mention that I hate PPF? :D

rdorman
07-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Not a fan of the stuff myself.

Dunbar42
07-27-2011, 12:15 PM
I couldn`t get past the price for my new Nissan Murano - $600 installed. Ugh, no thanks.

imported_tuffluck
07-27-2011, 01:12 PM
thanks. it looks like a lot of nays, not so many yays. anyone else? my bmw looks like crap on the front bumper. even if the 3m clear bra didn`t look amazing, i still think it would look better than what it looks like now.

Bill D
07-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Despite the bad press about clear bras, I do find the material useful and a can`t live without accessory on certain parts of the car, namely the door handle cups,

I immediately put on 3M Venture Shield guards when I got my Accord. It`s really one of few clear bra accessories a complete novice can install without problems. Did my best with this crappy software to scribble in red where the cup shield is. I`m very satisfied.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h442/billdautopia/Lift/DSC02264.jpg

I also have a custom cut trunk deck strip that didn`t come out as nicely and I have Xpel strips on the interior door sills. They come on a roll. They came out okay.

bill57
07-27-2011, 10:55 PM
I`ll cast my single vote in favor of the 3M clear bra. I`ve got it on the front of my black car (bumper area,side view mirrors), nothing on the hood. I maintain it with my normal final sealant and some AW in between (of course, I keep the sealant away from edges). For micro marring, 3M recommends dumping IPA over the area and lightly spreading it, and the marring will disappear as the alcohol evaporates. I like the 3M bra.

imported_tuffluck
07-28-2011, 09:34 AM
I`ll cast my single vote in favor of the 3M clear bra. I`ve got it on the front of my black car (bumper area,side view mirrors), nothing on the hood. I maintain it with my normal final sealant and some AW in between (of course, I keep the sealant away from edges). For micro marring, 3M recommends dumping IPA over the area and lightly spreading it, and the marring will disappear as the alcohol evaporates. I like the 3M bra.

so did you polish the paint underneath it first, and then beg the detail shop that installed the 3m bra not to touch the paint underneath? just worried, especially with dark colors, they are going to wash it and do a poor job or use a terry cloth and scratch it to hell, put the clear bra on, and then you`re going to be left with visibly marred paint under the thing.

bill57
07-28-2011, 05:30 PM
The installer told me to "clean" the surface, and that he would prep it with IPA, so I did not apply wax or sealant just prior to the clear bra application. I did "touch up" some small nicks a few days before (the car was not brand new). I was satisfied with the final product, as installed.

b34tBoX
07-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Definitely not.