PDA

View Full Version : complete noob needs basic advice please

slate
07-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Hi - ive just brought a zymol kit , having owned literally hundreds of cars (i used to be a motor trader) but never having used wax in my life !

last week i washed , dried as usual . Then i used some G3 compound to polish out some scratches and finished these areas with 3M finnesse-it .

I then used HD Cleanse and then applied the wax .

Well after two days i can clearly see the areas i used the compound and finnesse-it on - looks awful!

Should i have polished the whole car with finness-it before using the HDC and wax ?

Would seem odd to me if i should as the HDC is supposed to remove polish isnt it ?

Im finding this whole process very confusing.....when retailing i would just wash,dry and polish -nice and simple !

In addition to the above , i found the zyymol instructions on the wax ridiculously scant . Ive still no idea how i should actually use it - leave it on ? Buff it out? Leave it for half hour then buff with no pressure? Do the hokey cokey and turn around?????

Sorry to seem like a total retard , but ive just realised i am one!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

`

togwt
07-26-2011, 10:23 AM
HD Cleanse should remove any surface residues, traces of silicone or wax so you are left with a totally clean, bare surface. If you have previously used other car care products and want to start from a totally fresh, clean base - Wash, Clay, Polish, HD Cleanse, Wax/ Sealant

slate
07-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Thanks for your reply - i`ll try it .

Isnt the HDC supposed to do the same as a clay bar though ?

Accumulator
07-26-2011, 12:00 PM
slate- Welcome to Autopia!

Are you working by hand or by machine (electric polisher)? Doing this stuff by hand is *TOUGH* and good results are hard to come by that way.

While I haven`t used the G3 compound, I have used the various 3M Finess-It products, and none of them left a finish that I would consider "ready to wax". I suspect that you need to go over the entire car with a different/better final polish, something that`s a bit more aggressive than the HDC, which is pretty much functionally nonabrasive on almost all paints. Not sure what you have available (I`m guessing that you`re across the pond), so I`ll let somebody else suggest something.

The HDC is more of a paint cleaning glaze; too gentle to clarify an imperfect finish. And it`s not generally considered all that user-friedly so it`s not just you if you find it a struggle.

I`m no Zymol authority, but most waxes work pretty much the same- rub it on/into the paint, let it haze until it wipes off clean and dry when you rub it with your finger (the "finger-swipe test). OR, rub it on and quickly buff it off before it dries/hazes (called "WOWO" for Wipe On Wipe Off). I prefer the former method, others prefer the latter (and the latter is mandatory with a few waxes). There are a scad of different Zymols, and I don`t know which will be best for the one your using and for your personal preferences. Generally, you don`t want to use a lot of pressure when applying or buffing off wax.

slate
07-26-2011, 12:17 PM
I dont have a machine polisher so its by hand at present .

ive found the HDC a pig to use -really difficult to get off . thing is , zymol infer that you MUST use it before applying their wax (carbon wax , ive got) .

as ive never waxed before i thought i`d start with a kit , but i cant see me using the HDC again if you guys reckon i can do without it .

the finnesse-it i just happened to have in the shed so i thought i`d try it .

i used to use autoglym super resin polish back in the day , but that was before the advent of detailing websites !

Accumulator
07-26-2011, 12:33 PM
I dont have a machine polisher so its by hand at present ..

OK, IMO that narrows the good choices down a bit. Over the Counter Meguiar`s stuff can be good if you get the latest stuff.

i used to use autoglym super resin polish back in the day , but that was before the advent of detailing websites !

SRP is still a great product, I really, *REALLY* like it! Yeah, you could substitute that for the HDC and then go over top of it with your Zymol wax. I use a very similar combo (SRP + wax) on my Jag and if I thought there was an approach that I`d like better.....but there isn`t, that`s the perfect look IMO on that particular car. Maybe you`ll like it too. At least the SRP is very user-friendly (just keep it off black trim).

Nah, you don`t need to precede Zymol wax with HDC, that`s just their advertising dept. talking ;)

slate
07-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Thanks - i`ll try it this weekend (if it doesnt rain!)

slate
07-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks once again for the help guys . Ordered some product from polishedbliss today too -they were also extremely helpful .

Youre all lovely lads !

togwt
07-28-2011, 04:43 AM
A chemical paint cleaner (HDC) is a non-abrasive and removes surface stains, polish oils and contaminants. Detailer`s clay is an abrasive and will remove more stubborn surface contaminments

Accumulator
07-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Youre all lovely lads !

...I`m guessing that you`re across the pond...

Heh heh, knew it :chuckle:

slate
07-28-2011, 02:05 PM
It was the hokey cokey that gave it away , right ? :chuckle::chuckle:

Accumulator
07-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Heh heh heh...