PDA

View Full Version : Working with Injures...

Buff Guys Auto
07-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Hey guys I`m a week out from getting knee surgery, worked two days so far finishing with a cantaloupe sized knee cap. Anybody delt with knee stuff (recoup time), or maybe a way to detail a car without bending your knees?

togwt
07-21-2011, 05:49 AM
My Father had surgery on a shattered knee joint and was left with a knee joint that couldn`t bend. His answer to this was a scissor lift and later a four post lift.Hopefully someone can come up with a `work-around` method until your knee joint heals

Quadriceps

The quadriceps is the main muscle controlling the knee. For normal knee function it is essential that the quadriceps muscles remain strong and well co-ordinated. The stability of the knee largely depends on this muscle.

The quadriceps, along with the buttocks, is the main muscles which allow us to go up and down stairs, rise from a chair and walk normally. The quadriceps is the main muscle controlling the knee. For normal knee function it is essential that the quadriceps muscles remain strong and well co-ordinated. The stability of the knee largely depends on this muscle.

Lie with your leg out straight. Tense up the thigh muscles, trying to push to knee down and raise the heel. Hold that for a few seconds. Try not to tense up the buttock muscles; you should be able to see the muscles on the front of the thigh tensing up and the kneecap move

Knee Muscles

Lie on your stomach, keeping your thigh down, bend your knee as far as you easily can. This is more difficult because one of the knee muscles is tighter on your front.

This is just a list of the simplest exercises, for an injury or after a knee replacement. There are many other exercises but they need to be designed to fit with the knee problem concerned, so consult your physical therapist.

See also - TOGWT: Exercises to Minimize or Prevent Pain (http://togwt1980.blogspot.com/2010/09/priming-seasoning-pads.html)

08xB
07-21-2011, 09:59 AM
My left knee contains more hardware than most cars I work on! Granted, It happened a while ago, I have frequent drainings, a couple of cartilage scrappings and cortisone injections ... I just do it. Yes, it hurts like hell, but I just work through it. I do use one of those gardening pads to kneel down on, but that`s about it.

godd1000
07-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Hey guys I`m a week out from getting knee surgery, worked two days so far finishing with a cantaloupe sized knee cap. Anybody delt with knee stuff (recoup time), or maybe a way to detail a car without bending your knees?

I had knee surgery in 2009 and it was a rough go for about 2 months. Right now I just had surgery on my shoulder and thats six months of recoup time but at least i can still use my left arm.

Scottwax
07-21-2011, 11:02 AM
I was back working two weeks after a grade 3 shoulder separation on my right shoulder. By then the pain level had dropped to a level I could tolerate and I think working helped rehab it by working the muscles in my shoulder.

Brad B
07-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Yep. Been through that very thing. I have a car lift which helped a lot but also used rolling stools (tall and short) to make the effort tolerable while I healed and did PT.

autoaesthetica
07-23-2011, 11:19 PM

I would love to help with this.. what was your initial insult/injury and what was the surgical intervention? Also, what are your current symptoms aside from swelling?