PDA

View Full Version : Fried Egg

1ShinyCar
07-19-2011, 02:04 AM
My friend left his car out for two weeks while he was on vacation. Eggs from a birds nest fell onto the hood and baked. There doesn`t appear to be much chipped paint as is the case with hurled chicken eggs. However, the egg is stuck on the surface. Meg`s APC 4:1 didn`t make a dent. Clay was just getting stuck in the egg so I didn`t follow through with claying.

I expect paint damage under the egg, but the first task is to simply get the egg off. What you see in the picture (upload failed error #2038, will try again) feels to be above the surface. Can a PC touch this or is a direct drive polisher required? Is it better to start w/ wet sanding? I am even thinking about trying some 3D Eraser outside of its intended purposes:

This car water spot remover has a strong acidic mixture that softens the hard minerals...

Any suggestions about method (orbital, polisher, sanding) and product (pad, compound, sandpaper grit) are appreciated. :help:

-Thanks

togwt
07-19-2011, 02:39 AM
This is where a product that contains Teflon would come in handy, all you’d need to do is shake the surface ;)

As well as the impact damage, egg contains Albumin (refers generally to any protein with water solubility) and amino Aspartic and Glutamic acids that will erode the clear coat and eventually the basecoat if not neutralized / removed. If the affected paintwork is not neutralized any remaining acid residue will be reactivated each time it comes into contact with heat / water (See also Reactivity)

Wash the affected area with an alkaline car wash concentrate (P21S Total Auto Wash) and allow to dwell and then rehydrate the area with an Isopropyl Alcohol soaked micro fibre towel and keep it ‘wet’ for 4-5 minutes with the towel laid on the stain, do not agitate the surface. Flush with clean water and dry thoroughly. Inspect surface for cracking, discoloration or other damage with a 30X lighted magnifying loupe.

1ShinyCar
07-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks; I will try this and post the results.

1ShinyCar
07-19-2011, 12:52 PM
This is where a product that contains Teflon would come in handy, all you’d need to do is shake the surface ;)

Yes...I forgot to mention the spatula didn`t work.

Ron Ketcham
07-19-2011, 12:53 PM
The IPA is a key to drawing out the residue in this case.

It is a "drying" agent as you are aware.

Grumpy