PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Tape does everyone use

Sirgibson
07-18-2011, 04:56 PM
I`ve used the the 3M Blue painters tape (less residue version) before and it still left a bit more residues than I prefer. I`ve heard about a 3M Green? How does this rate? I`ve also noticed what appears to be like a clear Saran wrap like substance.

Am I to believe the best stuff we can use is on rubber/plastic trim can be used on actual paint surface as well?

Joe

C. Charles Hahn
07-18-2011, 05:20 PM
I use several different tapes, from the 3M Blue to 3M Green and Yellow, as well as the Meguiar`s masking tapes. Some adhere better to some surfaces than others so I just keep a variety on hand.

StuLax18
07-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Using the 3M blue now because when they came out with some new version of it they gave away a roll for free.

JohnKleven
07-18-2011, 07:10 PM
3m blue or green on some plastics. The green stocks good but also spits a lot of adhesive.

JCturboT
07-18-2011, 07:49 PM
3M Blue here too.

Jeff

DHCrocks
07-18-2011, 08:00 PM
I`ve been using the 3M blue they have a tape with a formula that is low tack and made for freshly painted surfaces. that seems to work pretty good with little to no residue but if it get`s wet it won`t stick.

PAR Detailing
07-18-2011, 08:07 PM
I use 3m yellow. Its always worked well for me.

David Fermani
07-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Depending on what product you`re using, I highly suggest removing your tape after buffing to avoid the product building up a hard edge/line at the edge of the tape. If can be a paint to remove when it`s left to dry. I actually have been taping as I go with great results.

C. Charles Hahn
07-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Depending on what product you`re using, I highly suggest removing your tape after buffing to avoid the product building up a hard edge/line at the edge of the tape. If can be a paint to remove when it`s left to dry. I actually have been taping as I go with great results.

Great point David -- I tend to do the same, masking a panel at a time and only as much as needed.

SpoolinNoMore
07-18-2011, 11:45 PM
Moved to Meg`s tape from 3M blue and I prefer the Meg`s tape slightly more, however it really doesn`t matter that much as long as it doesn`t leave a big adhesive mess behind. Just get whatever`s on sale at the time :)

Sirgibson
07-19-2011, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the responses.

I used the Blue Tape (new formula, less adhesive) and didn`t have a basis for comparison. I believe a combination of High Humidity (that`s Atlanta for you) and leaving the tape on too long was the cause for little more residue than I preferred.

Joe