PDA

View Full Version : 2011 GMC paint hardness

TerryD
07-16-2011, 08:13 PM
I`m getting ready to purchas a new truck and the dealer is giving me a choice of black or white paint. I`ve thought for a number of years that GM paint was pretty hard, mostly from what I`ve read - no experience working with it.

So after not finding much from the search bar, I have to ask. Are the clear coats the same, or is one harder than the other.

Thanks,

Terry

C. Charles Hahn
07-16-2011, 08:49 PM
The clear coats are the same -- most GM paint is pretty consistent and not as hard as a lot of people make it out to be. The notable exceptions I`ve come across are Corvettes (hard) and Camaros (soft).

TerryD
07-16-2011, 10:38 PM
The clear coats are the same -- most GM paint is pretty consistent and not as hard as a lot of people make it out to be. The notable exceptions I`ve come across are Corvettes (hard) and Camaros (soft).

Thanks Charlie.

Is it similar to late model Buick paint? If I had to guess, then I suspect so since clear coat is clear coat.

C. Charles Hahn
07-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks Charlie.

Is it similar to late model Buick paint? If I had to guess, then I suspect so since clear coat is clear coat.

Very similar, yeah.

I`d say about 90% of what I work on are GM vehicles, and in addition I have owned several -- I`ve never found them difficult to deal with when it comes to correction and maintenance. The only gripe I`ve got with my 2008 GMC Sierra is that the paint is a bit thin from the factory.

Had it been available at the time I would have Opti-Coated it from day one, but as it stands now I`ve just been keeping either Opti-Seal or OCW on it whenever I get around to it (too busy with customers` cars). I`m hoping to get some time yet this season to turn my attention toward a full correction and application of OC to lessen the need for future corrective work.

TerryD
07-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Very similar, yeah.

I`d say about 90% of what I work on are GM vehicles, and in addition I have owned several -- I`ve never found them difficult to deal with when it comes to correction and maintenance. The only gripe I`ve got with my 2008 GMC Sierra is that the paint is a bit thin from the factory.

Had it been available at the time I would have Opti-Coated it from day one, but as it stands now I`ve just been keeping either Opti-Seal or OCW on it whenever I get around to it (too busy with customers` cars). I`m hoping to get some time yet this season to turn my attention toward a full correction and application of OC to lessen the need for future corrective work.

Perfect. Just what I needed to know.

When we bought the Buick I corrected some minor stuff using the Menzerna IP/FP that I had on hand and an orange pad. So, that tells me that properly corrected and LSP`ed I won`t have a problem keeping up with paint that is too soft on the GMC.

I want the black one and will have to order OC to try on it.

Thanks again!