PDA

View Full Version : Chemical Guys Extreme Top Coat?

imported_RedlineIRL
07-16-2011, 12:20 AM
Chemical Guys Claims their Top Coat sealant plus carnuba provides 6 to 8 month protection, repels water, and is great at UV protection and for using on vehicles exposed to warm climates. As we all know many manufactures make claims but the results greatly vary. For those that have tried it, how well does it actually work and hold up? It sounds similar to Poorboys EX P in a way, is it a knock off of it? If it lives it to its claims, this sounds like the perfect LSP for me

Thomas Dekany
07-16-2011, 11:14 AM
I used it for a long time and was a pleasure to use. Can`t provide specifics, but it was pretty durable, however not sure about lasting 8 months in real world conditions.

imported_MCA
07-16-2011, 12:32 PM
I frequently use Top Coat (along with Meg`s #26 paste) for red-hued cars. Has a very nice warm, darkening appearance with a clean, non-oily slickness. In the Texas climate, I have gotten 4 months of appreciable durability - it would sheet water faster than a bare surface, but the beads were very large, sporadic, and non-uniform. I would say that 6 weeks is doable but 8 weeks is really pushing it.

Application-wise, Top Coat is pretty darn easy. PC @ speed 3, set for 20 minutes, wipe off with 1-2 MF towel passes.

With regards to the PB comparison - It may be better compared to EX as opposed to EX-P due to carnauba content. EX-P doesn`t really darken paint but leaves a "clear" look in my opinion.

imported_RedlineIRL
07-17-2011, 12:23 PM
I frequently use Top Coat (along with Meg`s #26 paste) for red-hued cars. Has a very nice warm, darkening appearance with a clean, non-oily slickness. In the Texas climate, I have gotten 4 months of appreciable durability - it would sheet water faster than a bare surface, but the beads were very large, sporadic, and non-uniform. I would say that 6 weeks is doable but 8 weeks is really pushing it.

By large beading, do you mean that they were tall or just large in diameter?

At this point, I want something that will just puddle or lay flat with no beading. To be honest I don`t think I am going to apply any further wax or sealant until fall starts to approach becuase I don`t want to deal with the heat and beading being a problem anymore. Is there anything that really does jsut sheets other than no applying a LSP period?

imported_MCA
07-17-2011, 03:28 PM
By large beading, do you mean that they were tall or just large in diameter?

At this point, I want something that will just puddle or lay flat with no beading. To be honest I don`t think I am going to apply any further wax or sealant until fall starts to approach becuase I don`t want to deal with the heat and beading being a problem anymore. Is there anything that really does jsut sheets other than no applying a LSP period?

During the first/second months, the beading is very tight, small, and numerous. As you approach the 4-month mark, the initial beading diminishes and their appearance takes on bigger "blobs" (as opposed to circles). When driving, you can see the water is being repelled as it sheets off. However when not moving, water tends to collect on surface as beads.