PDA

View Full Version : What is this?? HELP?

White lexus 23
07-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Hey everyone. The wife Just bought a newer car and didnt notice this till I was washing it. I have tried to remove it with alcohal, tried to polish it off via rotary. nothing will take off. Would the lake country glass kit take care of it or is there somthing else. Thanks in advance.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t206/ticketmytransam/282369_10150702901875005_851005004_19471014_725582 8_n.jpg

Ron Ketcham
07-12-2011, 02:40 PM
You will need a 4 ply wool pad and a product with cerium oxide in it as the main abrasive.

Then use a foam pad with the same product, for a second step.

I would then recommend applying a coat of AquaPel once you have it cleaned up.

Grumpy

Astro_ng
07-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Looks like a severe case of water etching?

You`ll probably have to strip everything and then hit it with a compound. Not too sure why the rotary wouldn`t have taken it off in the first place.

SpoolinNoMore
07-12-2011, 05:50 PM
I had the same etching on the glass on my Acura when I bought it (originally thinking it was just sloppy dealership cleaning). I tried everything from glass cleaner, clay, vinegar, CLR, and even that Rain-X glass restoring stuff (basically feels like clumpy sand and lotion in a bottle) with a DA and nothing worked. I eventually hit it up with an orange pad on my DA at speed 5.5 with megs ultimate compound and it came out perfectly. I still have yet to do the passenger side and rear glass (due to being exhausted at working out all previous attempts after doing a full detail on the vehicle) but the difference is night and day. Hope this helps.

Ron Ketcham
07-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Believe it or not--glass has "pores" and minerals in the water or dust on the surface may create this concern.

I recommend a cerium oxide based compound because of one simple thing.

That it what is used to polish glass, even one`s eye glasses.

There are different grades of this rare earth, however wether it be opitcal grade or industrial grade, both work wonders on glass, just that the industrial grade works faster.

Oh, and it works best with a rotary buffer at 1000 to 1200 RPM.

Grumpy

Astro_ng
07-12-2011, 09:29 PM
It`s on his paint too, Did the rotary have no affect on your paint?

Ron Ketcham
07-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Well, if one is truly serious about this, ABC the complete vehicle first. It breaks down the majority of the mineral deposits from the glass, paint, etc.

Makes rotatry buffing much quicker and easier and produces much less of an opportunity to create major marring of the paint surface.

A dual action is ok, but in most cases just won`t do what a rotary with the correct pad and product will.

The dual action comes into play after the rotary has done the heavy work, to remove any minor swirls, etc.

Of course, one must have some experience with these tools before jumping in.

Let`s face it, no matter how anal one is, two bucket, sea sponges, micro fibers, natural chamios, etc, marring/swirls will happen eventually.

A dual action, in conjunction with the right pad, product and procedure takes quick care of those minor marring/swirl issues.

Here is something to consider when dealing with "mineral deposits", they have went down into the pores of the paint, they are "locked there" and if they are there in considerable amounts, one will have marring resulting from attempting to remove them.

Sort of like having a mild sand paper present when one attempts to take them off with physical processes, vs a safe chemical removal.

Kind of a quick primer on the issue, but should allow you to think it over, "what is really there and how did it get there and how does one remove these deposits without doing more damage.

Can only hope that all this makes it possible for all to really think it through.

Grumpy

White lexus 23
07-13-2011, 10:59 AM
its not in the paint. just on the t top and on the passanger side glass. also where can i find a cerium base compound ?

Ron Ketcham
07-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Don`t know if Finish Kare still has the compound I developed while there, but I did one that had it in the product.

Might check with them.

You can also get a cerium paste from C.R.Laurance, it is strictly for glass, and should be used with a packed felt buffing pad.

ValuGard has Cerious Compound, available in pints.

It`s also great on paint and works good with a dual action and foam pad.

Grumpy