PDA

View Full Version : IPA damages GMC Denali door panel?

edaniel
07-10-2011, 05:17 PM
I was detailing a customer`s truck yesterday when he asked if I could take a look at another vehicle he had. There was some adhesive residue on the wooden dash of his new Denali, he assumed from the dealer. I hit it lightly with a little bit of IPA on a rag and it came right off. He was standing right there and asked if I could also get one little spot on the interior door panel that had some sticky residue on it. Again, I *lightly* touched it with IPA and then wiped it dry. My stomach dropped when I saw the brand new black vinyl door panel with this white chalky streak on it. I switched to Meg`s Interior Detailer, then 303 Aerospace Protectant, neither of which helped much.

It was like the alcohol (70%, not even 91%) just burned the vinyl? I wasn`t expecting this, of course, or I wouldn`t have brought it anywhere near the panel. Based on other people`s experience, is this just a strange accident or did I really mess up here and break some rules?

I apologized to the owner and he couldn`t have been cooler about it, but I`d really like to make it right. Can anyone suggest something else to use on the panel to get the chalky mark out?

Thanks in advance.

AuAltima3.5
07-10-2011, 07:01 PM
I suggest you make it right or find a product that will. Or give a free detail... something. Sorry that happened. I don`t use solvents on plastics.

Ron Ketcham
07-10-2011, 09:36 PM
The assembly plant had run out of the black panels, so they use a dye to keep production rolling.

You are most likely not going to get the mark out.

More like what you are observing is where the dye was removed, look at it with a 30X magnifier to confirm.

It will probably require "re-dying of the panel.

Grumpy

salty
07-11-2011, 12:39 AM
I always do a test spot when using solvent on the interior. More often than not I will lighten the stain by other means, but leave it alone, before trying solvents. A lot of times they don`t work any ways.

edaniel
07-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Would it be reasonable to try some black shoe polish on this spot and follow up with a protectant?

Ron Ketcham
07-11-2011, 09:37 PM
If going to try that, don`t use a protectant, it will most likely remove part of the polish.

Grumpy