PDA

View Full Version : Anyone detailed a Toyota Prius before?

gigondaz
07-05-2011, 06:21 AM
This weekend, I`m receiving a new white Prius for quite a comprehensive detailing, and it`s my first time with a Prius. And I`m working in an Asian country.

On white Honda Insights and on any car, the paint quality would depend on where it`s assembled as each plant might use a diff paint system depending on geographical location. The brand new white Insight that I detailed previously was horrribly blur, and required rotary+wool+Megs 85 to boost the brightness of reflections before I could proceed to other refining steps. Ran out of 105 at that time. In comparison, the usual Honda Civic White looked brilliant vs the Insight`s white. But this might not apply to American Insights and Civics.

With that experience, I was wondering about the Toyota Prius.....will it be equally as crappy?:twisted:

Has anyone done Toyota Prius before? What`s your thoughts about it`s paintwork characteristics?

And where is the American Prius assembled? Somewhere within the US, or Japan?

07-05-2011, 07:43 AM
FYI - thread moved to Car Detailing sub-forum

forrest@mothers
07-05-2011, 08:23 AM
All Prius (Prii?) are built in Japan, no matter where in the world they are sold. My wife drives one, and the paint is better than average - some orange peel, but then what sub-$80,000 doesn`t have it.

I think you`ll be fine.

SpoolinNoMore
07-05-2011, 10:28 PM
I`ve only heard the reputation of Toyota paint being notoriously softer than what most detailers are used to for manufacturer paint jobs :car:

gigondaz
07-06-2011, 03:34 AM
All Prius (Prii?) are built in Japan, no matter where in the world they are sold. My wife drives one, and the paint is better than average - some orange peel, but then what sub-$80,000 doesn`t have it.

I think you`ll be fine.

Thanks dude...will wait and see:dance:

gigondaz
07-06-2011, 03:38 AM
In general, you`re correct. Hondas, in general, have very soft clears!

(901)
07-06-2011, 08:11 AM
If you have a dog or cat that sticks close to you when you work, be carefull not to run them over when your moving the vehicle around

For this reason alone, I hate doing hybird vehicles

avg_joe
07-06-2011, 11:14 AM
I have just completed a full correction and Opti-coat 2 application on my 2011 Blizzard White Prius.

I used menzerna SIP on LC orange followed by 085 on LC white. The machine I used was a Flex XC3401.

The dealer had supplied some marks down the drivers side and on the hood.

I had to make a couple of passes to correct the side so I wouldn`t say the paint is real soft.

The hardest part was getting the halogen lights at the right angle to see the work was complete.

I was quite pleased on the results.