PDA

View Full Version : Need some wax advice

HokieTSX
06-30-2011, 10:49 AM
I`m going to wash and wax my fiance`s car.

She has a Honda CRV, and it has a lot of black plastic trim. Is there a basic wax that I can use that will not leave the white marks on the black plastic?

I`ve used Nufinish often, but I know that will leave white marks.

Thanks.

rdorman
06-30-2011, 11:07 AM
I asked the exact same question for the exact same car. KAIO topped with Collinite 845 was tha answer. I put both on everything, trim and all. Looks great... quick and easy to!

Dan
06-30-2011, 11:32 AM
I agree, 845 is awesome on trim and it lasts forever!

HokieTSX
06-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks. Can I buy it at a local store, or do I have to go online?

I want to do it tomorrow.

Dan
06-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Some Advance Auto`s carry it. Some random places like Trader Horn carry it. Its really hit or miss. Post up your location and someone might be able to help.

rdorman
06-30-2011, 01:35 PM
See if this helps at all: Distributors ::* Collinite Wax Products* :: Choice of the Pros :: Auto, Marine and Industrial (http://www.collinite.com/distributors.htm)

The only reason I did KAIO first is because aside from washing and claying the CRV, there was no other prep. The KAIO I put on everything including glass (not rubber!). The 845 I put on everything but the glass and rubber. No more need to treat the trim seperately. BIG time saver. An Accumilator recomendation and it was spot on. Be aware that some refer to it as `collinite insulator wax` and some as collinite 845. Same stuff

nothelle
07-04-2011, 04:12 AM
You can get Optimum Opti Seal or Optimum Car Wax as well, they`re spray and walk-away product, leave no residue and quick to apply

akimel
07-04-2011, 09:30 AM
I`d go with Ultima Paint Guard Plus. Like Opti-Seal, it`s a wipe-on/walk-away sealant. You can apply it to plastic trim and cladding. It dries clear. I recommend it highly.

Accumulator
07-04-2011, 11:27 AM
.. The KAIO I put on everything including glass (not rubber!). The 845 I put on everything but the glass and rubber. No more need to treat the trim seperately. BIG time saver. An Accumilator recomendation and it was spot on. Be aware that some refer to it as `collinite insulator wax` and some as collinite 845. Same stuff

Speaking of "Accumulator recomendations" ;) I even use the KAIO and 845 (sometimes even 476S, but don`t try that at home kids!) on rubber. Yeah, waxing rubber. Been doing it on the Jag since the late `80s and no problems at all. Just use a Wipe-On-Wipe-Off method and get it off before it dries/flashes/hazes and it oughta work fine.

rdorman
07-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks again for the original recomendation. I just wanted to do a quick job on my 740, no polishing or anything, and used it on that as well. Really nice look on Imola Red.

Accumulator
07-05-2011, 11:15 AM
rdorman- My pleasure :D Yeah, even with all the new stuff on the market, the AIO + Collinite combo is still nice, sorta a modern spin on the old cleaner-wax + straight wax combo.

SpoolinNoMore
07-05-2011, 10:18 PM
One of my favorite OTC waxes is Megs Ultimate Liquid Wax is really good on trim and is extremely user friendly with application. Its another one of those synthetic carnauba mixes so you don`t really have to decide between a synthetic or carnauba. Since its a daily driver that (I`m assuming) doesn`t see the bottom side of a wax applicator often, I`d suggest getting a full synthetic LSP for lasting protection.

akimel
07-05-2011, 10:59 PM
One of my favorite OTC waxes is Megs Ultimate Liquid Wax is really good on trim and is extremely user friendly with application. Its another one of those synthetic carnauba mixes so you don`t really have to decide between a synthetic or carnauba. Since its a daily driver that (I`m assuming) doesn`t see the bottom side of a wax applicator often, I`d suggest getting a full synthetic LSP for lasting protection.

I may be mistaken, but I`m fairly confident that Ultimate Liquid Wax is a 100% synthetic protectant.

SpoolinNoMore
07-07-2011, 09:35 PM
I may be mistaken, but I`m fairly confident that Ultimate Liquid Wax is a 100% synthetic protectant.

You`re absolutely right! My bad, its been a while since I looked at that bottle. I put it on a (deployed) friend`s Scion that I`m looking after back in May. It has been sitting outside most of the time and has only been washed once since (only run the engine and drive it once a week just to keep blood in its veins). The durability seems to be holding up very well from the North Carolina sun and pounding rains and wind.

imported_sal329
07-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Optimum Opti Seal or Collinite 845