PDA

View Full Version : No idea what I`m doing...advice needed.

daltvater
06-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Gents,

Looking for some detailing advice here. Paint is about a year old and is more than ready for it`s first hardcore detailing session. The only product I`ve used so far has been the Glaze below.

There are some minor swirl marks in the clear coat that I`d like to smooth out. The paint is very dry and is missing depth. (I think as a result of prepping it with the clay bar)

Below is a picture of what I have to work with and the stages I`ve made up and tricked myself into thinking is correct.

Stage 1: Cutting Pad, Fine Cut Cleaner

Stage 2: Polishing Pad, Deep Crystal Polish

Stage 3: Finishing Pad, Klasse Sealer

Any help would be appreciated. This is all I have to work with...

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/photo_copy18.jpg

daltvater
06-29-2011, 06:07 PM
And a pic of the car, Midnight Blue.

If anyone knows how to get bug marks off on Venture Shield I`d love some advice on that as well. I have a feeling they are on there forever.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/front_view_copy3.jpg

Kolokefalo
06-29-2011, 06:53 PM
I would say the "guide to detailing" forum is the best place to start.

Accumulator
06-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Gents,

Looking for some detailing advice here. Paint is about a year old and is more than ready for it`s first hardcore detailing session. The only product I`ve used so far has been the Glaze below.

There are some minor swirl marks in the clear coat that I`d like to smooth out. The paint is very dry and is missing depth. (I think as a result of prepping it with the clay bar)

Below is a picture of what I have to work with and the stages I`ve made up and tricked myself into thinking is correct...

While Kolokefalo is right, best thing is to really study up on this stuff so you`re working from a position of knowledge, I`ll give venture opinions on what you`re proposing.

Stage 1: Cutting Pad, Fine Cut Cleaner

If you absolutely won`t buy anything better, that oughta work OK for the initial, aggressive work. But you`ll need to refine the resulting finish with something milder.

I`d *MUCH* rather see you use something like Meguiar`s M105, or their new MF-based system, or Optimum Hyper Compound, or UNO. I`m quite confident that you`d be a *LOT* happier with one of those for the aggressive first step.

Stage 2: Polishing Pad, Deep Crystal Polish

Nah, sorry, wrong product. The DC Step #2 Polish isn`t a "polish" in the sense of being a mild abrasive; it`s a functionally nonabrasive "glaze" that merely gives a temporary apprearance boost. And it`s not compatible with products like Klasse Sealant Glaze because it leaves a bunch of oils on the paint (that sealants won`t stick to).

It was a good choice to use on the fresh repaint though.

You need a mildly abrasive polish like Meguiar`s M205, or the second step of their MF-based system, or Optimum Hyper Polish, or UNO, or something from Menzerna. One of those will refine the finish left by the aggressive correction step and give a nice shiny gloss.

Stage 3: Finishing Pad, Klasse Sealer

KSG is good, but it needs to go over a perfectly clean (oil-free) surface. It`s best used after a thorough paint cleaning with Klasse All In One.

Any help would be appreciated. This is all I have to work with...

Once you study up a bit and give this some more thought, I think you oughta get a few different/new products. There are a zillion ways to do this stuff, and the "buy something different" is seldom the advice I like to give, but in your case what you proposed simply won`t work well.

Oh, and welcome to Autopia! I appreciate the candor you showed in the title to this thread :D

TedFred
06-30-2011, 02:11 PM
I like the Megs 80 that you have. I think it make a good final finish, although Acccumulator has informed me that he thinks that 205 makes a better final finish. I have some 205 but haven`t used it yet. I am going to do my silver car with the 205 this weekend. Can`t wait

Accumulator
07-01-2011, 12:05 PM
I like the Megs 80 that you have. I think it make a good final finish, although Acccumulator has informed me that he thinks that 205 makes a better final finish. I have some 205 but haven`t used it yet. I am going to do my silver car with the 205 this weekend. Can`t wait

Hey, I somehow skipped right over that M80...sheesh...

Nothing wrong with it, just doesn`t give the same finish as M205. The M80 won`t have as much gloss but might give a different sort of "depth".

BUT...the same thing applies with regard to the KSG- the stuff M80 leaves behind will interfere with the KSG`s bonding. If yo use it, wipe things down with rubbing alcohol before applying the KSG or you`ll have issues.

Dan
07-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Grab ultimate compound and swirlX from walmart for $14 for both and use those. They are the consumer equivalents for M105/205 and work very well on most paint. The stuff you have will make much more work for you, its definitely better to spend $20 on some new stuff. As much as I like KSG for its protecting abilities, I`d rather use something else on the midnight blue. For store bought, you can`t beat Megs #26 on darks. If you want to order online, BFWD or OCW look great on dark blue.