PDA

View Full Version : Best OTS wax for newbie with white car?

67mike
06-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Hi:

Newbie here.

I recently bought a white car that has a fair share of fine scratches from the previous owner.

I have a "turtle wax" orbital 6" buffer that I tried to get the scratches out with both turtle wax premium white compound and mother`s scratch remover. I have it not bad (think I will do some more work on the hood later).

Any way, I originally waxed it with Meguiar`s NXT version 1.....great shine for 1 day...then...dull....took the nxt back for a refund.

Then I tried the three step mother`s california gold system.....shine is OK.

Someone here recommends Mothers FX for white.....BUT, only the liquid is available locally for me...and I hear it sucks?

I was thinking of ordering up some 845 wax from eshine.....BUT I would much rather just buy a local product instead of waiting for shipping.

What is the BEST off the shelf wax for white cars????

Thanks

Scottwax
06-28-2011, 01:42 PM
I have a feeling you aren`t going to be very happy with OTC products based on your experiences already. If it were my car, I`d order either Optimum Opti-Seal or Collinite 476.

tom p.
06-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Marine supply stores often have the Collinite products, sometimes with a slightly different name.

Some foreign car dealers sell the Collinite 476.

There`s a car parts supply shop on eBay, located in OH, that has really good pricing on Collinite.

TedFred
06-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Try ordering the above deal from 3D. Uno and poxy for $25. Very good deal

SpoolinNoMore
06-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Try ordering the above deal from 3D. Uno and poxy for $25. Very good deal

Good deal indeed, however if you`re really dead set on a good durable OTC wax, Meg`s Ultimate Wax comes in paste and liquid format and is very user-friendly application. It gives it a good glass-like look and has shown pretty durable on a Scion TC that I did a couple months ago.

Dan
06-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Duragloss 501 is awesome on white and available at Carquests.

AlexRuiz
07-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Hi:

Newbie here.

I recently bought a white car that has a fair share of fine scratches from the previous owner.

I have a "turtle wax" orbital 6" buffer that I tried to get the scratches out with both turtle wax premium white compound and mother`s scratch remover. I have it not bad (think I will do some more work on the hood later).

Any way, I originally waxed it with Meguiar`s NXT version 1.....great shine for 1 day...then...dull....took the nxt back for a refund.

Then I tried the three step mother`s california gold system.....shine is OK.

Someone here recommends Mothers FX for white.....BUT, only the liquid is available locally for me...and I hear it sucks?

I was thinking of ordering up some 845 wax from eshine.....BUT I would much rather just buy a local product instead of waiting for shipping.

What is the BEST off the shelf wax for white cars????

Thanks

Mothers FX synwax, no question.

The wax itself is very good, what sucks royally is the bottle design....

Get the turtle wax premium rubbing compound (green bottle, not white can) and you will get most of the fine scratches. It finishes very nice, has long working time, no dust and has decent bite.

If you are ordering online, hard to beat the HD uno + HD poxy combo. Collinite 845 another good alternative.

imported_MCA
07-03-2011, 07:36 AM
For OTC waxes, a lot depends on what stores you have in your area - I would recommend:

Meguiar`s ColorX - great all-in-one that you can top with another carnauba wax later

Mother`s Synwax (FX) - Be sure to get the WOWO booster wax as well (Mother FX Spray Wax...not the Mother Reflections Spray Wax)

If you have a Harley-Davidson dealer close-by, I would recommend the S100 duo (Cleanser and Wax). The cleanser has some filling properties to hide minor swirls and the wax is practically the easiest paste wax to apply/remove (apply thin of course).

Accumulator
07-03-2011, 11:45 AM
67mike- Welcome to Autopia!

I wouldn`t put much weight on the paint being white. While some LSPs (Last Step Products, i.e., "waxes") look a tiny bit better/worse when used on blacks and reds, white isn`t finicky like that; I`ve used "great on black!" waxes on white and it looked swell. Just gotta find the "look" that`s right for *you*.

Check your yellow pages and find the local autobody/paint supply store. See what they have on the shelf. It brings a whole new meaning to "OTS". Mine has all sorts of stuff, from Meguiar`s to Collinite.