PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good starter polishing set?

StuLax18
06-21-2011, 05:58 PM
I think I`m ready to finally get a polisher now that Griot`s is offering the 15% off. I put together this set, rather than get one of their pre-packaged ones. I wanted to check with you guys if there`s anything I am missing, and what you thought about my choices. I already have all the stuff I need for everything besides polishing, such as waxes, clays, and sealants. I even have a rubbing compound I could probably use. Mostly concerned that I might need other pads/polishes. Thanks!

GG 10 ft. cord 6" RO

Machine polish 2

Machine polish 3

3x Orange polish pads

1x Red wax pad

Only $170 for everything, so I`m happy about that.

Accumulator
06-21-2011, 06:52 PM
StuLax18- I`d rather get the one with the longer cord, even if you have lots of outlets and plenty of extension cords. I didn`t think I`d appreciate the added length, but in practice I certainly do.

I`d get something other than the GG Machine Polishes, which I found mediocre at best, and that was before recent advances such as the new Hyper products from Optimum and UNO from 3D. The Griot`s pads are good (if just a little gentle for real correction), but their polishes...eh, you can do better.

What compound do you have already?

StuLax18
06-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Meguiar`s ultimate compound. What polishes would you recommend then? I wasn`t too excited on them, but figured it was easy.

nushine31223
06-21-2011, 07:56 PM
I use ultimate compound on my small dealership work and it does great. Depending on the amount of correction needed i use a 5.5 in lc ccs pad (orange or yellow) on my pc7424xp with the lc backing plate

StuLax18
06-21-2011, 10:35 PM
What about if I were to get Meg`s 105 and 205? Will the 205 be good enough as a finishing product that I can just wax after that?

Dan
06-22-2011, 06:32 AM
I always prefer individual items, the packages are never a really good deal unless you need/want everything in the kit. I`d go with UNO as a newbie. Its just so easy to use compared to the Meg`s stuff.

StuLax18
06-22-2011, 11:03 AM
I always prefer individual items, the packages are never a really good deal unless you need/want everything in the kit. I`d go with UNO as a newbie. Its just so easy to use compared to the Meg`s stuff.

Yeah, I`ve found the packages to have more items than I want/need. I think using UNO is a good idea for an AIO. But how would that work with just the one polishing pad from GG?

Accumulator
06-22-2011, 11:48 AM
What about if I were to get Meg`s 105 and 205? Will the 205 be good enough as a finishing product that I can just wax after that?

Since you already have the UC, I would use that for your "compound" and not get the M105 unless you decide you really need something more aggressive.

I`m not against M205, but I`d rather steer you towards two products that I haven`t even used! I don`t do that lightly, but I honestly think that the Optimum Hyper Polish, and/or their finishing polish, or else the UNO, would be better. M205 is nice, but it`s just *SO* oily that it can drive me nuts. I find myself reaching for my 1Z High Gloss instead, or else Menzerna, but I`d rather you try the Optimum or UNO.

The UNO oughta work OK with the Griot`s pads, maybe somebody who`s used it with the supposedly similar LC tangerine pads can say how it works with those.

Hmmm...wonder how UNO would work with the red Griot`s waxing pad :think: I`ve used light polishes with that pad before and it was OK.

StuLax18
06-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Ok now I`m tempted to get the UNO as well as the HD polishing and finishing pads, and only get the GG wax pad.

Accumulator
06-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Ok now I`m tempted to get the UNO as well as the HD polishing and finishing pads, and only get the GG wax pad.

Much as I do like the orange Griot`s pads, that might be the smart way to go. At least everything will be well-matched to work OK together. I`m confident you`ll like it better than trying the GG polishes (unless they`ve radically reformulated them); my GG polishes simply sit on the shef.

StuLax18
06-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Yeah, my reasoning behind it is that if UNO is meant to be a polisher and finisher, then you need different pads. I can`t use it to it`s full ability if I`m just using one type of pad. Are the HD pads hook n` loop?

Accumulator
06-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Yeah, my reasoning behind it is that if UNO is meant to be a polisher and finisher, then you need different pads. I can`t use it to it`s full ability if I`m just using one type of pad...

That makes sense. I just don`t know what level you`d be stuck with if using the Griot`s pads :confused:

Are the HD pads hook n` loop?

I`d certainly expect so, but you`d better verify before you order ;)

StuLax18
06-22-2011, 01:40 PM
All right, I ordered the GG polisher and red wax pad, and the blue and orange polish and finishing pads with HD UNO. I think I get Poxy for free with that. I got the pro version since it was 16 oz. Any difference between that and the retail version?