PDA

View Full Version : Debate: Who are Better Interior Cleaners, Men or Women?

buda
06-21-2011, 05:23 PM
This is a hypothetical debate between Danny Detailer and Debbie Detailer on who is better at cleaning interiors, men or women.

Writing in Favor of Men - Danny Detailer

At first I was asked to do this debate thing I was asked to argue the position that women are better interior detailers than men.

In good conscience I indicated I could not argue that point because I did not agree with it. Nor can I agree that men make better interior detailers either.

What I will debate is that men as interior cleaners offer some unique qualities that I appreciate.

With that in mind I will take the side for men by indicating a man`s most admirable qualities on the job.

First are, strength and size.

Would always prefer a male detailer when it comes to cleaning a labor interior as van, SUV or motor home.

Men tend to bring less drama to the workplace. They tend to come to work for one reason, "to work."

Men tend to not have as much emotional baggage that they bring to work everyday.

You do not have to stoke their egos as much as you do a woman, and they definitely take constructive criticism much better than a woman.

Men make fewer excuses when it comes to their work, especially if a customer is dissatisfied.

Men are more task-driven and are distracted less than women.

Women are much too inquisitive and spend too much time analyzing the customer by the condition of the car or it`s contents.

Finally men tend to differentiate the job from a social event. They take fewer breaks and make fewer personal calls during the work day.

For some reason, the family and friends of male workers tend to respect their job more and so there are less phone calls to a male employee vs a femaile.

Absenteeism is less a problem with male workers. Women on the other hand take more time off for themselves but also to take care of family issues.

So, training and work loads being equal, both men and women can do interior detailing equally well. But a woman has too many balls to juggle, job, famly while a man can focus on their job.

[B]Rebuttal Arguing in Favor of Women - Debbie Detailer

First I do agree with the positive qualities of men in the detail industry, and I believe these same qualities are common in men in any industry.

Yes, women tend to be the primary care-giver in the home, which can cause increased absenteeism and interuptions at their job.

But, there are qualities that women naturally posses qualities that men do not have.

While women tend to take criticism to heart this is not necessarily a negative attribute.

It shows that a woman takes pride in their work and find great pleasure in the transformation result they get from their efforts in a dirty vehicle.

Men are happy when the job is done, and are ready to move on to the next one.

Women tend to take more "ownership" of their work more than men.

Women are more "detail-oriented."

Personally, I have found that women detailers will meet the demands of a difficult customer.

Women detailers can be found guilty of "snooping" while in a customer`s vehicle, but it also helps to find the hidden dirt and soil that is not often found by a male counterpart.

It is really a difficult thing to debate, who is the better interior detailer. But it is important to note the differences between men and women.

All in all, the positive attributes that both male and female detailers bring to detailing makes for a well-rounded detail business.

SO WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON THIS SUJBECT? WHO IS BETTER? IS THERE A DIFFERENCE.

Regards

Bud Abraham

Scottwax
06-21-2011, 08:23 PM
I had a woman working for me several years ago. She worked hard but I was more skilled and worked just as hard.

JohnKleven
06-21-2011, 11:05 PM
I don`t know who cleans them better, but as far as getting them dirty......????? My wife`s car needs some love. ;)

Dan
06-22-2011, 06:26 AM
Bud, you have balls of steel to post that. I can`t begin to tell you what sort of implications those generalizations could have if you have an employee find that and use it against you. You might as well have asked who is better, white or colored.

Bill D
06-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Regardless of who may or may not stereotypically clean better, I`m all pro seeing more female detailers, whether they concentrate on the interior, the exterior, or the entire car. I`ve introduced the passion to several and their initial misconceptions about what detailing is immediately changed. They really liked it. Unisex passion/profession I say :bigups

WAS
06-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Bud, you have balls of steel to post that. I can`t begin to tell you what sort of implications those generalizations could have if you have an employee find that and use it against you. You might as well have asked who is better, white or colored.

Yeah +1 to that.

I don`t think either is necessarily better. It comes down to skill, effort, experience, and many other things that really have nothing to do with what sex you are.

David Fermani
06-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Given that Detailing is primarily a male activity/profession, I`d say they excel at interior detailing because they have more experience doing it. But, and that`s a BIG BUT, I had a women work for me for several years that worked circles around my top guy at interiors. She had a true natural talent for cleaning and did it very well. Exception, but not a rule. I`d like to see all the detail chics give us their input on the subject though..

gigondaz
07-06-2011, 03:53 AM
I can`t guarantee that every man out there is a terrific home handyman adept in using powertools, and love spending time in the garage. Similarly, not every woman out there loves baking, cooking and sewing.

For me, gender is irrelevant, and any skills can be taught.

The most important things are:

1. Attitude

2. Aptitude

3. Ability to interact with other employees.

My top person who excels in interiors is a "male+male" ...to be politically polite.

He`s highly respected by my staff and myself, and has an excellent working attitude with a keen eye for the smallest details. Highly proactive and works quietly with minimal chatter. This is the person who bothers to compile great detailing videos, and show them to staff during off-hours. Great motivator. My other employees are all quietly envious of him, and we go to the pub for drinks after work, behaving like a bunch of grown-up kids:dance:

Accumulator
07-06-2011, 12:11 PM
For me, gender is irrelevant, and any skills can be taught.

The most important things are:

1. Attitude

2. Aptitude

3. Ability to interact with other employees.

Good post, I agree :xyxthumbs

MAHA31
07-12-2011, 06:04 PM
I am a female, managing a detail shop and only have men working for me. There is not one car that gets detailed that I can`t find something they have missed or not cleaned thoroughly. I have to say females are better at interior detailing of cars. I`m just saying.......

(901)
07-12-2011, 06:48 PM
:Banane20: are better :bananalama:

Accumulator
07-13-2011, 11:53 AM
I am a female, managing a detail shop and only have men working for me. There is not one car that gets detailed that I can`t find something they have missed or not cleaned thoroughly. I have to say females are better at interior detailing of cars. I`m just saying.......

Welcome to Autopia!

Nice you see you chiming in on this thread.

Astro_ng
07-13-2011, 01:45 PM

+1 on this.

What does gender have anything to do with detailing? Generalizations only get you into trouble! I think all detailers have something in common, we all have cases of OCD :P

Underdawg736GTC
07-13-2011, 02:13 PM
I haven`t ran into a female detailer but all I know is that my wife and daughter are WAAAAY better at trashing a cars interior....and exterior then I am......just saying. My wife is in no way detailed orientated when it comes to cleaning (house, car, and so on), but she could run a business way better then I could ever run. I think each gender have equally positive and negative attributes for any given situation, condition....well mostly. In my job (EMS) I think women are better in a lot of ways as they have more of a calming effect on patients and they tend to not get as excited on crap calls. I also think they can tolerate emotional stress a bit better then us guys. I don`t know if this can be contributed as motherly instinct or what. On the physical side not so much although I have seen a few females swing more weight then a lot of males could handle.

Thanks to my boss, we only have one paid female who isn`t so much detail orientated when it comes to cleaning the ambulances. Although she does make the effort to keep it clean which is way more then what most will do around here. She is a clean freak which is great, unfortunately water spots, tar, scratches/swirls, dull paint/trim,wheels (the details) mean nothing to her. But then again she isn`t a detailer.

I`d say that it would just depend on the individual female....and male. Everyone has their strong and weak points.