PDA

View Full Version : Stationary Showcars - Disc Brakes

gigondaz
06-20-2011, 07:44 AM
On showcars that are already positioned properly, sometimes it`s necessary to clean the brake DISC surface as there`s normally some rusty patches after washing and due to lots of other reasons etc.

Anyone here has any experience in cleaning the brake disc?

Assuming the vehicle cannot be moved at all (show venue), any suggestion to:

a. Clean off the slightly rusty surface

b. and to get the disc looking its best?

Richard Grasa
06-20-2011, 08:50 AM
I`ve never had to do this but the first thing that comes to mind is to use a green Scotchbrite pad. It should be rough enough to remove the light surface rust but not rough enough to do any damage. Or maybe some fine steel wool.

gigondaz
06-21-2011, 03:54 AM
I`ve never had to do this but the first thing that comes to mind is to use a green Scotchbrite pad. It should be rough enough to remove the light surface rust but not rough enough to do any damage. Or maybe some fine steel wool.

I`ll try out your suggestion, and share results with everyone here.

Thanks!

C. Charles Hahn
06-21-2011, 09:10 PM
What about keeping around a set of brand new rotors with a rust preventive coating on them, and installing them specifically for use at shows?

David Fermani
06-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Can`t you move the car back n forth a few times with the brakes on to grind away the corrosion?

gigondaz
07-05-2011, 06:25 AM
Can`t you move the car back n forth a few times with the brakes on to grind away the corrosion?

Thanks for the advice David, and everyone here.

Sigh! When those cars reach the shopping mall at 11pm (yes...11pm) after closing time, company employees would have positioned the cars properly on the display area.

I requested them to reverse and go forward a few times with the brakes slightly depressed. Solved the problem. Thanks bro.

07-05-2011, 07:41 AM
FYI - thread moved to Car Detailing sub-forum

TedFred
07-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Jack up the wheel and spin the tire. The brake pads with take off the rust. There is always residual pressure on the brakes. If that isn`[t enough have someone press lightly on the brakes while you do the above

Brad B
07-05-2011, 05:05 PM
While doing concours` I have used simple steel wool. But the ScotchBrite pad mentioned above will definitely do the trick.