PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Buisness

piercetdg
06-18-2011, 04:25 PM
I`ve been forced to flip a new page in my life and I`ve started investing the money that I have into detailing stuff. I originally wanted to get on the fast track to car painting but I`ve had to learn about detailing because it`s honestly more important then the paint that`s on the car itself. So I figured I should use the season (I live in Toronto, Canada) to my advantage. There`s a few people that I know personally who would be my first customers and I know I`m not going to have any problems finding more customers, especially because I really don`t know how you would get a serious detail job in this city lol.

So what I`m curious about is your guys` opinions on what products I should buy and how much to really charge for something like this.

I planned to do the same method for every car I detail (I can do body work but I don`t want to right now) and I only have a PC7424xp to help me but here are my steps:

-Wash well with some car soap (I don`t know if there`s a specific brand that`s amazing or not)

-clay with wolfgang clay and lube

-wash car off with water and dry

-use M105 on a orange LC pad

-wipe down with microfiber

-use M205 with green LC pad

-wipe down with finishing cloth

-use Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant v3 (not sure what pads to use)

-wipe down again with finishing cloth

-shine wheels with Meguiar`s Hot Rims

-shine tires with Meguiar`s Hot Shine Foam

-clean leather with Meguiar`s Gold Class Rich Leather

-clean windows with Stoner Invisible Glass (funny name lol)

-Then I`ll shop vac inside a bit

I was planning on charging people 150 dollars for all of this, having them drop off and pick up the same day. Is that not enough? And if I was going for super gloss to really shock people when they see my demo car (black Acura EL) should I add some steps? Or is what I have good enough for gloss?

And here`s my shopping list that I want to last me for 6 cars, I`m hoping you guys can approve it for me.

-Wolfgang Autobathe (16oz) x1

-Wolfgang Clay Lube x1

-Wolfgang Clay (6oz) x3

-Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant v3 x2

-Meguiar`s M105 x2

-Meguiars M205 x2

-Detailer`s Pride Polishing Pad Rejuvenator x2

-5" LC Flexible Backing Plate x1

-5.5" LC Orange pad x3

-5.5" LC Green pad x3

Anyways, thanks a tun for your advice! It actually means so much to me! Tips are welcome as well!

Jpostal
06-19-2011, 11:25 AM
$150 is too cheap. $250 minimum I would say...probably more like a $300+ dollar job. I would also offer a 1 step option for people who don`t want the full package...maybe $200 for full interior and 1 step.

If you are buying enough supplies for just 6 cars you will not need 2 bottles of M105/205 or sealant. I would get more orange pads (maybe 6) as well as some 4" pads and appropriate backing plate for tighter areas. Get some quality wheel cleaner too.

craigcaski
06-21-2011, 06:02 AM
Check your local water runoff laws. You may have to use a no rinse wash or reclaim the water.

Also fyi, this is in the wrong forum. Check out http://www.autopia.org/forum/professional-detailer-general-discussion/

Brad B
06-21-2011, 02:12 PM
You have a lot of research to do before you start "professionally". Do you have experience with the products you mention? Also, be sure you have someone proofread and spell check your marketing materials for grammar and typos.

Check out the forums here for lots of info. Good luck.

C. Charles Hahn
06-21-2011, 09:23 PM
You have a lot of research to do before you start "professionally". Do you have experience with the products you mention? Also, be sure you have someone proofread and spell check your marketing materials for grammar and typos.

Check out the forums here for lots of info. Good luck.

:bigups I agree 100%

Running a detailing business is not as simple as a lot of people seem to think it is.

CosminTX
06-21-2011, 11:14 PM
is been a year and i am still in business , that`s my story

55 Ferraris , 12 Porsches , 2 Bentleys + .. in 8 months! - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/30965-55-ferraris-12-porsches-2-bentleys-8-months.html)