PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Basalt Black Metallic Porsche Cayenne Turbo - Need Help!

kapinnn
06-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Hello fellow autopians,

I have been away from the detailing world for 2-3 years and have not researched much during this time until now. I have recently bought a 2005 Basalt Black Metallic (metallic flake) Porsche Cayenne Turbo and thought I`d reach out for autopian assistance. I did some research but most detailing discussion around Cayennes were from pre-2009 or 2010. I understand the Porsche black is finicky (maybe not the Basalt Black Metallic). The one in question has heavy marring, a few light holograms, and some oxidation.

In reading the forum recently, I noticed that a lot of autopians are using the Meguiar`s new DA system. Do you think this is a suitable combo for this vehicle? I still have a multitude of Menzerna (SIP, 106FF etc..) and Optimum polishes (old ones, not the newer spray one) and have my rotary metabo and edge pads (both foam and wool) as well as a porter cable and UDM machines and pads.

So anyway... Is the Meguiar`s DA Kit worth the money or should I spend a whole day using my old products (which i dont even know if are good anymore since they have been sitting for 2 years+)? The $100 or so I would spend is not of concern. I`d rather do this fast than saving the $100.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

gmblack3
06-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Tape off a 2x2` section and see if SIP/orange followed with 106ff white or black will do it for you on the metabo. Do 3x IPA wipe downs after each step to ensure you are getting true correction. The basalt black is harder but not as finicky as the solid black on a porsche.

If you are not happy with the results, I can highly recommend the MF system.

Rasky has some nice videos on the MF system:

YouTube - ‪MF test 1.wmv‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHCAPlIgtVI&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL)

imported_icall
06-16-2011, 08:36 PM
The Meguiar`s MF system was used on my 2011 carbon black 550i. After three steps, it looked good.

I recently polished the same car (5 months later) to get rid of some marring I instilled using sheepskin mitts. I used a 5inch plate on an old 7424 with a flat 7/8inch white pad and Menzerna Power Finish. One step and the car looked flawless. I brought it out into the sunlight cause I couldn`t believe it. I couldn`t find a flaw.

Many of the veterans on here support the MF system. Perhaps most of the marring was removed with the three step so my polish was just the little stuff remaining. I had a decent amount of etching from some runoff on the covered spot at my office on my trunk. In the sunlight and under LED light, the trunk looked flawless.

I used the above tools along with very slow, high pressure passes over a 2ft by 2ft section lasting about 5mins each. Slowly going vertical across the area and repeating horizontally. I was very happy with my results.

Give it a shot with what you have. If you`re not happy, try the MF. I`m told my clear is soft. My grey QX56 after almost 3 years of washing and no polishing doesn`t have much noticable marring from the sheepskin mitt, but it left some nice trails on my BMW clear.