View Full Version : how do i fix this?

christitan21
06-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Wash with megs/ gold class

Dry with waffle,towel

Megs clay kit

Scratch X

Z-2 pro Polish

These are the steps i followed and i got this.How do i fix this?All of my towels were washed and i got new cotton app pads from (advanced auto I think this was the problem.

I need help

Here are some before and after.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket (http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa479/christitan27/?albumview=slideshow)

amcdonal86
06-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Would love to see what you did, but I think photobucket is down.

amcdonal86
06-15-2011, 09:41 PM
What`s the before and what`s the after? Were you trying to polish by hand? That doesn`t seem to work for most people.

christitan21
06-15-2011, 10:01 PM
The before was the first pic with no swirls. The other pics are of after with the swirls,i don`t know what happened or what cause this.I have done every thing the same that i usually do. I don`t have a PC i do all of this by hand.Last Saturday is when this happened so i want to try to fix it this weekend.Any ideas of what i can do thanks .

christitan21
06-16-2011, 10:35 AM
92 views and know one knows how to fix this

amcdonal86
06-16-2011, 12:03 PM
I guess is you bought cotton pads that had either been dropped on the floor, or otherwise have dirt/grit in them somehow (perhaps you dropped it or set it on the ground or in the grass?). When you polished by hand, you were dragging the grit along the paint, causing the scratches.

If the whole car looks like this, it would take absolutely forever to try to get these out by hand. I might advise you to invest in a Porter Cable 7424 and some polishing pads (and a long extension cord).

christitan21
06-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Got the the pads that come in the bag from advanced auto parts here they are. I also layed a towel down on work bench and set all my stuff on.Is there a polish i can use to make this better by hand.

Buy Autocraft Microfiber Applicator Pad AC266 at Advance Auto Parts (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Microfiber-Applicator-Pad-Autocraft_10032773-P_N3310_T|GRP2074_____)

amcdonal86
06-16-2011, 12:29 PM
You may want to PM ScottWax. IIRC, he does all his polishing by hand. I could be completely wrong (maybe he polished by hand in a dream I had).

christitan21
06-16-2011, 01:49 PM
His pm will not allow messages.

amcdonal86
06-16-2011, 01:52 PM
http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/135526-best-favorite-hand-polish.html

Check this out.

If you are using those pads, make sure that you do not press along the edges where the stitching is. That will marr your paint.

Accumulator
06-16-2011, 02:40 PM
christitan21- I suspect that nobody`s offering much because the problem could be any number of things.

Could you tell which step caused the problem?

What *is* the problem? It`s hard to tell from the pix...is it marring, or residue, or...what?

So you used those MF pads, and not really cotton ones, right? I don`t like cotton for this, even the softest-seeming stuff can mar paint.

What kind of towels did you use to buff the polish off?

Did you try to apply the Zaino Z2 right after the Scratch-X or did you strip off the Meguiar`s Trade Secret Oils first?

Not to beat you up or anything, but this shows the importance of working on a limited area (i.e., a "test spot") to make sure everything`s gonna go smoothly.

Scottwax hasn`t done this stuff by hand since forever :grinno:

christitan21
06-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Don`t think your beating me up i need to know these things.I applied zanio right after the scratch X.An i use microfiber towels to remove.If it is residue what should i remove it? Dawn Thank you for all your help.