PDA

View Full Version : Window Cleaning--PITA

B.G.
06-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Ahhh, this seems to be the most problematic area when it comes to detailing.. Ive tried everything and I just cant get glass looking as clear as I want it...

I currently use a waffle weave microfiber towel w Stoners Invisible Aerosol glass cleaner.. Looks good in the shade, but when the sun hits, you can see smudges etc... Its such a pita.

I find the waffle weave microfiber to be a better option than the "glass" specific microfibers. Anyone have any pointers?

From my research, the Stoners is one of the best products.. I just need to find the right towel combination or technique:tinfoil3:

usdm
06-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Hey BG, try some surgical towels. They work great for me most of the times Ive used them. So do your cleaning as normal, use the ww towels for the initial wipe-off, and then finish off with the surgicals.

Good luck

Bill D
06-15-2011, 04:15 PM
I have fits constantly in humid Florida. Often I have to clean the windows every day. Apply your cleaner of choice, maybe with dedicated towel or foam applicator and agitate, you could them squeege most of the cleaner away with a California Water Blade or equivalent and then follow up with a huck towel, or I`ve been having having better luck with Griots polypropylene window wipes.Sometimes I can get away with using those alone to do spot cleaning.

PhatHoodDetail
06-16-2011, 10:21 AM
i use a 2 mf towel method. make sure u have 2 clean and dedicated mf towels for windows only. its important u dont mix them with other mf towels u use for anything else because it will be smear city on your windows. take your 1st mf and spray a lil bit of stoner`s on the glass just to get a full wipe, not too excessive and wipe. then go back and wipe with the 2nd mf without glass cleaner. repeat that process all around the vehicle and u should be good. if ur 1st mf gets to damp grab a fresh 1 and continue. on severe cases u might have to polish by hand to get the haze off the glass which rightlook makes a great product their glass and chrome polish. it really saves u the "headache" about smears on your glass. i usually wipe on with a clean shop rag, then wipe off with a paper towel, u will see a instance difference. then i go back and do a quick wipe with a glass cleaner and 1 mf towel and u should be on track. using these 2 methods handles 95% of my glass problems. the other 5% requires a buffer. hope that helps and good luck

Acoupe
06-16-2011, 10:30 AM
I stopped using Stoner`s. It left a weird, crystalline type film on my windshield.

I am looking into Aquapel`s windshield cleaner, but until then, I`ve just been using windex very methodically and it`s been great so far.

Accumulator
06-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Having tried all sorts of towels, I always go back to Griot`s Polypropylene Window Wipes (pn 14910).

Plus, I try to do my final wiping in the kind of lighting conditions where issues are visible.

Jesstzn
06-17-2011, 03:30 PM
I have recently gone "old School" I mixed up a 2cups:1cup mix of distiiled water and white vinegar.

I have a dedicated no nap mf towel that I submerge in the mix and wring out to damp. I also have a few blue surgical towels that I use for wipe off.

I wash the window down with the mf towel & solution and "immediatly" dry the area with the surgical towel that is folded in 1/4. I find if the surgical towel or any towel used to wipe off is scrunched it streaks.

Once the windows are done the mf is stored in the solution in the container with the lid on.

Every 1/2 doz vehicles or so I wash out the towel and change the solution.

Scottwax
06-17-2011, 06:11 PM
If the windows are pretty dirty to begin with, I pre-clean them with ONR using one wet (but not soaking wet) towels and one dry towel. I prefer to use 500-600 gram 16 x 16 MF towels, used to use waffle weaves and still had smearing problems. I then use ONR mixed at QD strength in a spray bottle and a dry 530 gram 16 x 16 MF towel. Good thing with my son working with me for now is that I can use him as a spotter for the windshield when I am cleaning that. He can stand outside the car and point out any areas I might have missed.

Bunky
06-17-2011, 06:18 PM
I use the 2 towel method too but unless you clean with something like pure alcohol it will not seem to be clear in very humid situations.

samhian
06-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Where are you guys getting surgical towels?

Jarreds
06-18-2011, 12:07 PM
I get my surgical towels from the Ardex rep that comes around. There aound .68 cents each.

KnuckleBuckett
06-24-2011, 09:00 AM
I stopped using Stoner`s. It left a weird, crystalline type film on my windshield.

I am looking into Aquapel`s windshield cleaner, but until then, I`ve just been using windex very methodically and it`s been great so far.

I have had mixed results with this product. I have two cans and will not be purchasing it again. Leaves residue. I will be interested in finding out what your experience with it is like.

Surf City works well.

I like to poly clay my glass if it is really dirty using diluted ONR as the lube. Then I clean with one mf and again with another for the finish.