PDA

View Full Version : For those that keep their cars outside 24/7

Pages : [1] 2

Striker
06-15-2011, 12:24 PM
It sucks not having a garage. But what can you do. Just bare with me guys and read along, if you don`t mind.

I`ve been using nothing but Zaino and I`m thinking it may be time for a switch over as I keep my brand new Altima outside 24/7.

This morning I went to wash the car today and sure enough, as I was drying it, I could tell it`s been bombarded by tree sap. (I have three white birch trees on the front lawn)

I honestly don`t care what the product looks like, or how big of a pain it is to apply and remove. Does such a product exists where it will give you adequate protection from tree sap?

I will now have to clay the car, again to remove the sap and this would be the third time. I`m sort of getting tired of it :S

mdbohica
06-16-2011, 05:04 AM
Well, since you are going to LSP it again, I would suggest removing the sap with ISA. I know it takes off Pine and Oak sap with about 30-45sec dwell time and it wipes right off.

As for LSP`s I go with Colinite 845 or 476. Both have extreme longevity and are quite tough.

akimel
06-16-2011, 07:30 AM
I use Stoner`s Tarminator to remove tree sap. Works like a charm. Of course, it also removes wax/sealant, so be prepared to re-apply your preferred protectant.

I do not believe that any wax or sealant can really protect against tree sap, at least in the sense of making it dramatically easier to wash off. But you certainly can`t go wrong with Colly 845.

Striker
06-16-2011, 10:13 AM
I use Stoner`s Tarminator to remove tree sap. Works like a charm. Of course, it also removes wax/sealant, so be prepared to re-apply your preferred protectant.

I do not believe that any wax or sealant can really protect against tree sap, at least in the sense of making it dramatically easier to wash off. But you certainly can`t go wrong with Colly 845.

Thank you both for your suggestion on removing the sap. How do you work with the Tarminator in terms of applying/removing on the paint?

akimel
06-16-2011, 10:46 AM
The directions on the can are easy to follow. Wash the car. I usually then gently dry the areas on which I intend to spray the Tarminator. Wait 60 seconds. Rinse off. Repeat if necessary. Simple as that.

imported_dfazekas
06-16-2011, 02:15 PM
something like opticoat or C1 would last a lot longer than traditional stuff.

Scottwax
06-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Not sure what white birch sap is like but I usually have no problems removing live oak or crepe myrtle sap washing with Optimum No Rinse. No need to clay or use a tar/sap remover.

Striker
06-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Birch leaves tiny sap, it would almost pass for small stone chips produced from typical freeway driving, when you look at it under the sun.

Does sap harm the paint that`s been protected by a sealant?

MichaelM
06-16-2011, 04:22 PM
I`ve seen sap harm paint to the point where the paint almost raises up a bit. I`m sure it`ll eat through any sealant over time. Ever smell turpentine?

Brad B
06-17-2011, 12:48 PM
I would stick with the Zaino. You need a sealant for protection. Changing brands will not help your situation. Get some Zaino All In One, if you haven`t already, as that makes touch ups fast and easy.

As for removing the sap, other suggestions here are fine. I use Acrysol, a solvent sold at most German auto dealers. It`s used to clean residues off of anything including painted surfaces. It`s my Go-To Juice!

tripper_11
06-21-2011, 05:22 AM
Saps do really harm over time. Believe me. The most that you can do is to maintain your current LSP (I`m not a Zaino fanboy but believes in the product`s strength and longevity). That unless you find a decent sap-free parking lot. You can never avoid it trust me.

tonygxp
06-23-2011, 10:41 AM
yep acrysol works for the cheapest easiest i know of get a can of denatured alcahol from the home depot. it will clean the surface, strip wax/sealant as well but obviously there`s no way around that, and not harm the paint in anyway. i love that stuff..

Dan
06-23-2011, 10:58 AM
The only other product that seems to be better than Z2 releasing bonded contaminants (though for a much shorter time) is Optiseal. I get about two weeks where nothing really sticks to OS, and about 3 or 4 with Zaino. In these sorts of situations, the more often you LSP, the better off you will be.

Accumulator
06-23-2011, 11:20 AM
The only other product that seems to be better than Z2 releasing bonded contaminants (though for a much shorter time) is Optiseal..

Have you ever tried FK1000P?

Street5927
06-23-2011, 11:34 AM
I know you aren`t too concerned about looks, but I would suggest Autoglym Super Resin Polish topped with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. I got roughly 7 months of protection from the combination of these two, and if your vehicle is properly prepped, it produces a super slick finish that looks great. the product is really easy to apply and remove and similar to that of BFWD, KSG, Menzerna FMJ in terms of a little goes a long way.