PDA

View Full Version : Help me prove a point...

Pages : [1] 2 3

lyonsroar
06-14-2011, 11:31 AM
I don`t post much but I lurk a lot. I really respects the work you pro`s do and I`d like your help to prove someone wrong.

On another one of my forums someone asked about how to repair small scratches in his clearcoat of his economy car. This was the first answer that was given (before I got in there of course)

buffing should take that out if it is just in the clear coat. I am not talking about waxing, you need to use a buffer to heat up the clear so it will melt together and give you the glass finish it should have. I dont recommend that you do this if you have never buffed a car before. You would most likely cause more damage, but buffing is most likely how you would fix the problem.

And I called him out stating that`s not how buffing works and that if it worked that way all you`d need to correct a scratch would be a heat gun. I also attempted to educate him on the differences between a rotary and a dual action polisher, but he won`t catch on. (I won`t quote it because it`s too wordy)

And his reply:

Ok dude, you got buffing and brightening mixed up here. I dont know what stuff you work with, but what i said is true about buffing. And a g heat gun cant do that **** (called me a name). Not to mention, i have seen several people who have never buffed before burn right through the paint because they didnt move fast enough.

Anyone care to help me out? :heh:

Accumulator
06-14-2011, 12:00 PM
lyonsroar- I myself would rather not try to convince him that he`s in error. But you could suggest that the standard method of using abrasion to "remove" a scratch is to level the surrounding paint to be equal to the lowest point in the scratch`s "crevic"; the usual analogy is "sanding a scratch out of a piece of wood".

Regarding his "melting" method- I`ve seen somebody apparently do that, but a) it was a long time ago on an early form of clearcoat, b) I can`t say for certain whether he really "melted" it as opposed to "abrasively leveling" it because I didn`t ETG the paint before/after to see how much he thinned it, and c) I`ve sure never accomplished that myself even when using a rotary at very high speeds.

If you really do want to :argue it with him, I`d a) ask for objective documentation/"proof" and/or reliable references that agree with his claim, b) ask him who can do that work for the person in question and, well...what about that before/after thickness issue?, c) point out that even if it is possible, it`s certainly not something a "normal car guy" is likely to DIY with satisfactory results, so what`s the real point of bringing it up? and d) point out that the "regular" way of removing marring (i.e., abrasive polishing) is both widely accepted and commonly done, even by people with little experience.

But oh man...this sounds like another "Mom!! Somebody`s wrong about something on the internet again!!" type of time-waster to me.

Bill D
06-14-2011, 12:07 PM
I`d tell him he`s obviously passionate :rolleyes: about his "technique" and encourage him to join this forum. Too bad you probably won`t see him sink in his chair once he starts reading what`s on here. :chuckle:

I-Detail
06-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Don`t waste your time trying to educate anybody who dont wanna listen.

David Fermani
06-14-2011, 12:35 PM
I am not talking about waxing, you need to use a buffer to heat up the clear so it will melt together and give you the glass finish it should have.

Melt together? Oh boy, this guy`s dreaming right here.

RaskyR1
06-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Don`t waste your time trying to educate anybody who dont wanna listen.

Agreed.

Using the words a friend said recently....you`ll have a hard time convincing people who think the world is flat that it`s actually round.

Arrogant people suck. :D

lyonsroar
06-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks guys. I don`t like false information being spread around on a forum so I try to keep it to a minimum. I could see the newbie who`s asking for advice just going outside with a rotary and getting that paint real hot, real quick. :knockout:

the other pc
06-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Agreed.

Using the words a friend said recently....you`ll have a hard time convincing people who think the world is flat that it`s actually round.

Arrogant people suck. :D

+1

For somebody who would be interested, you could sent them here: What it means to remove a scratch out of anything... (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7228)

lyonsroar
06-14-2011, 03:58 PM
+1

For somebody who would be interested, you could sent them here: What it means to remove a scratch out of anything... (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7228)

Good link, I`ll pass it along.

:lol1:

Scottwax
06-14-2011, 04:09 PM
People like that are usually beyond educating.

bigfish528
06-14-2011, 04:34 PM
You can`t hep somebody that refuses help no matter what subject your on you just cant help some people. That is why I`m on this site to learn from the best.

Dan
06-14-2011, 05:09 PM
You can`t teach someone that doesn`t want to learn, but post up the link to here for others that might.

JohnKleven
06-14-2011, 05:45 PM
You can`t melt, or move clearcoat around. Clearcoat has a catalyst hardener, if you heat it enough to break the catalyst, you have "burned paint".

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
06-14-2011, 09:31 PM
This guy must be a "Ming" detailer

Accumulator
06-15-2011, 10:46 AM
You can`t melt, or move clearcoat around. Clearcoat has a catalyst hardener, if you heat it enough to break the catalyst, you have "burned paint".

There you go. Heh heh, wish I`d that at the tip of my tongue way back when.