PDA

View Full Version : detailing 36 ford cabriolet

lakesiderider
06-14-2011, 01:21 AM
posted this on meguiars but i found this site and was curious to hear from some people! will post pics later this week. the car is dark blue and has minor oxidation but has some swirl marks. nothing too serious. but after doing some research i have come to some sort of idea as to the detailing process. i will be working w/ a meguiars da buffer and will follow something like this:

1.)wash car and dry w/ electric leaf blower (to get all the water out, i dont want anything to rust

2.)clay car

3.) hand apply meguiars #7 and repeat a couple of times (maybe 2 or 3)

4.) if swirl marks are still apparent use #80 or #83 by da (which pad should i use?)

5.) if marks are gone hand carnuaba wax 2 times

if anyone could steer me in the right direction or add any insight to working on a car this old i would appreciate it. again, this is what i have found from looking around, just want to see if it sounds right! thanks all,

ben

froboy272
06-14-2011, 10:04 AM
use ONR or another method to wash so you dont have excessive water spraying and pooling everywhere

Darkstar752
06-14-2011, 10:37 AM
You need to remove the oxidation and swirls before you glaze it, not after you`ve already applied the glaze.

lakesiderider
06-14-2011, 02:38 PM
what is the ONR washing method? also, so should i do the 80, then glaze?

Darkstar752
06-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Optimum No-Rinse, basically a waterless(kinda) car wash. And use #83 with the DA first, then glaze if you want to. Can`t comment on glazes as I never really use them. Also, I would use a finishing pad for the DA.

Scottwax
06-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Honestly, Optimum`s new Hyper Polish and Hyper Compound work significantly better than Meguiars 80 series polishes on single stage paint. Wouldn`t have believed it if I hadn`t tested it myself. They eat oxidation faster and the improvement in gloss is superb.

You will need to do a few test sections to see what polish/pad combo will work best.

lakesiderider
06-14-2011, 07:46 PM
thanks for the info, i will try out the no rinse and 83!

Barry Theal
06-14-2011, 08:12 PM
You need to remove the oxidation and swirls before you glaze it, not after you`ve already applied the glaze.

Bobby Are yo sure about that? Sometimes certain glazes can be massaged into the paint to feed it prior to compounding.