PDA

View Full Version : Hardest sealant/wax?

Pages : [1] 2

Guitarist302008
06-12-2011, 01:44 AM
I`m just wondering if anything out there is as hard as Finish Kare`s paste wax? Collinite perhaps?

Thomas Dekany
06-12-2011, 02:52 AM
Liquid glass???

Accumulator
06-12-2011, 11:45 AM
I`m just wondering if anything out there is as hard as Finish Kare`s paste wax? Collinite perhaps?

What do you mean by "hard"?

Now the new OptiCoat leaves a literally hard coating, but otherwise I just don`t think of "hardess/softness" as really applying in this context, even when talking about extremes like Souveran vs. well...yeah, Liquid Glass :think:

Guitarist302008
06-12-2011, 12:00 PM
never had heard of it, but the reviews look very good on it. Have you used it yourself?

Guitarist302008
06-12-2011, 02:49 PM
I guess I mean hardness in the sense of that is more resistant to bird etching, hard water stains, bugs, tar not sticking to the finish as easily. I think that the FK is pretty hard of a finish.

I know about the opti-coat, but I didn`t want to go that route because I don`t think it`s been really proven. I`ve read a lot of mixed reviews on it so i`ll wait for a while and then decide if I want to put it on later.

On a side note, no one seems to have the Liquid Glass in stock right now... not my local auto store, and no place online... a few on ebay, but they are kits with other stuff I don`t want or need.

Accumulator
06-12-2011, 03:15 PM
never had heard of it, but the reviews look very good on it. Have you used it yourself?

No, no, we`re not recommending Liquid Glass. You can do better than that stuff. I tried it once at the insistance of the guy who built my `vette and it didn`t appeal to me.

Accumulator
06-12-2011, 03:19 PM
I guess I mean hardness in the sense of that is more resistant to bird etching, hard water stains, bugs, tar not sticking to the finish as easily. I think that the FK is pretty hard of a finish.

Ah, OK. Then the FK1000P is a good choice. I get perhaps *slightly* better etching/etc. resistance from heavily layered KSG, but IMO the diff isn`t worth switching over and the whole "heavily layering" process is a huge hassle anyhow.

Collinite does often provide great resistance to environmental hazards, but IME it`s no better than FK1000P.

Still, the ol` YMMV always applies and some people do find that Collinite works better for them than the FK.

I know about the opti-coat, but I didn`t want to go that route because I don`t think it`s been really proven. I`ve read a lot of mixed reviews on it so i`ll wait for a while and then decide if I want to put it on later.

OK, though I haven`t read "mixed reviews" on it. My concern is getting the stuff off if/when I need to do spot-correction. I did put it on the wheels of the beater-Tahoe, time will tell how that works out.

On a side note, no one seems to have the Liquid Glass in stock right now... not my local auto store, and no place online... a few on ebay, but they are kits with other stuff I don`t want or need.

Eh, I`d just forget about that one. I`m pretty certain that tdekany wasn`t serious about your trying it; I sure wasn`t. I only mentioned it because it does leave a "hard" finish as opposed to the Souveran, which *is* a "soft wax" even once it`s dried/cured/whatever it does.

Guitarist302008
06-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Ah, OK. Then the FK1000P is a good choice. I get perhaps *slightly* better etching/etc. resistance from heavily layered KSG, but IMO the diff isn`t worth switching over and the whole "heavily layering" process is a huge hassle anyhow.

Collinite does often provide great resistance to environmental hazards, but IME it`s no better than FK1000P.

Still, the ol` YMMV always applies and some people do find that Collinite works better for them than the FK.

OK, though I haven`t read "mixed reviews" on it. My concern is getting the stuff off if/when I need to do spot-correction. I did put it on the wheels of the beater-Tahoe, time will tell how that works out.

Eh, I`d just forget about that one. I`m pretty certain that tdekany wasn`t serious about your trying it; I sure wasn`t. I only mentioned it because it does leave a "hard" finish as opposed to the Souveran, which *is* a "soft wax" even once it`s dried/cured/whatever it does.

One thing that I want is when it has rained... I want something that is going to bead ALL of the water off... I can watch the hood with the FK and all of the small beads will run together and most of the water does come off, but there are still some small beads left that just don`t run off of the paint... and they wind up leaving spots. What can I put on top of my layers of FK to help with this? Or will more layers take care of this problem?

Yeah, i`m not sure about the Opti-coats time that it lasts so that you can do corrections either and i`m not really to wild about that idea.. I think you may have to use an abrasive to get it off before using correction? I might have read that somewhere, but don`t quote me.

Accumulator
06-13-2011, 11:48 AM
One thing that I want is when it has rained... I want something that is going to bead ALL of the water off...

Hmmm...good luck with that :nixweiss

I can watch the hood with the FK and all of the small beads will run together and most of the water does come off, but there are still some small beads left that just don`t run off of the paint... and they wind up leaving spots. What can I put on top of my layers of FK to help with this?

A spritz of FK425 while drying might help a tiny bit, but I don`t see it ever really working out the way you`d like.

Or will more layers take care of this problem?

Not IME, I still get spotting/etc. from the rainwater but it comes off when I wash so I don`t sweat it (but apparently you`re different from me in this regard...wish I had a solution for you).

Yeah, i`m not sure about the Opti-coats time that it lasts so that you can do corrections either and i`m not really to wild about that idea.. I think you may have to use an abrasive to get it off before using correction? I might have read that somewhere, but don`t quote me.

Yeah, that`s how I understand it as well and a big part of why I`m not using it as a "regular LSP".

zaxjax
06-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Zaino works for me

ryeh2o
06-13-2011, 06:55 PM
collinite is super tuff. It last for months. Put a high tech topper and you will have the best of both worlds.

Accumulator
06-13-2011, 07:17 PM
collinite is super tuff. It last for months. Put a high tech topper and you will have the best of both worlds.

What sort of topper would you use over Collinite?

Scottwax
06-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Opti-Seal, Collinite 476, DP`s Poli-Coat and HD Proxy are all what I would consider tough products.

Guitarist302008
06-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Opti-Seal, Collinite 476, DP`s Poli-Coat and HD Proxy are all what I would consider tough products.

I`ve never heard of the Poli-coat or HD Proxy.... how about the Nano quartz Scott? Have you used it at all?

audiguy69
06-13-2011, 11:52 PM
What sort of topper would you use over Collinite?

Yes, I would like to know also...