PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare `Professional` Detailing service

Chris G
06-08-2011, 09:17 PM
I took my Fusion down to the local `professional` detailing shop that my fiancee bought the gift package at. They aren`t a chain wide store, and they claimed they put the local Ziebart to shame in the way they handle automotive detailing, so she went with them.

Anyway, after receiving my Fusion back, I noticed a ton of stuff wrong with it and I really don`t want to take it back for them to `fix` what they`ve done to it, out of fear they will mess it up even worse. I took photos of what I noticed after scanning the car and hope you guys have advice on reverting the damage.

First they clay barred the exterior and then waxed it. They didn`t remove the bugs&stuff on the front end, and seemed to wax over it. What`s the best method to remove the wax so I can properly clean them & the rest of the car off and rewax?

Secondly, They used some sort of cleaner on the interior, that caused the plastic around buttons to have white spots or something on it, am afraid to use anything else on it and make it worse. (Seems to be the `matt` or flatt kind of finished plastic, some of the other `glossy` plastics seem fine.)

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8708/imag0460l.jpg

Last was the leather, Some spots it seems they either rubbed hard or used a cleaner that left a film, because in sections of the leather, it`s really smooth and doesn`t have the texture it`s suppose to. You can still see the texture, but it`s smooth to the touch in those random sections (I took a photo to display what I mean by texture)

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9600/imag0462e.jpg

They managed to transfer white paint over onto the seats in random places everywhere and don`t know what`s safe to remove paint.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/3162/imag0461.jpg

and in the back seats, there are 2 wrinkle spots where it seems they had their knees in it or something, and it`s not `sprung back` and this was a few days ago. Not sure how to get it to not be wrinkly.

Anything insight is greatly appreciated, and I`m sorry my posts are so long, I try to clarify so I`m not vague. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this.

Chris G.

gt08vapor
06-08-2011, 11:28 PM
That sucks to here.

C. Charles Hahn
06-08-2011, 11:51 PM
OUCH!

Where in MI are you at?

Thomas Dekany
06-09-2011, 12:24 AM
How much did she pay?

Apollo_Auto
06-09-2011, 01:37 AM
Ouch that sucks man! On the plastic parts, it almost looks as they`ve used some sort of solvent on them because they appear to be "bleached" a bit. Some good dressing may cover that up for a short time, but I fear that the damage has already been done :(. Was there bubble gum or something else "sticky" on that part of the car? For the white streaks, try removing them with a damp microfiber and perhaps a little soap. Don`t rub it too hard because you`ll fray the fibers on the seat, making it look worse! The "smoothing" of the textured surface was more than likely caused by excess rubbing. It`s easy to do that especially if it`s done with a harsh chemical that may compromise the would-be "memory plastic". Chances are the back seat isn`t going to go back to its original shape. They probably cleaned other parts of the car while the seats were wet and, as you`ve suspected, their knees stretched the fabric. You can possibly try to re-wet the seat (very lightly) and try to dry it out with a hair dryer, which may help a bit. Make sure everything is documented and be sure to call the "pro`s" that did this and let them know you`ll be seeking compensation whether it can be repaired or not. Don`t let them bully you!

Jesse O`Connor

Chris G
06-09-2011, 07:33 PM
I actually live in Milan, however this was done out near Ann Arbor / Ypsilanti area. I took it back up there and they applied something they called `a color restorer` on the untreated plastic, however the seats they said there`s nothing they can do. I guess it`s just a learn and live experience. Also it was something like 189 bucks for complete interior and a basic exterior.

Scottwax
06-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Best thing in the future is to tell your fiance to use the Autopia "find a detailer" thread. Unfortunately, the level of work you received is on par for about 90% of the detailing shops out there.

Jpostal
06-10-2011, 12:15 AM
If the shop used a steamer on a high setting along with an APC of some kind it may have caused the damage to the interior plastic trim. When I got my steamer I was a bit eager to try it out and I unfortunately discolored/bleached a door panel on a vehicle. The damage I caused looked similar to the trim in your picture...kind of a dull chalky white looking. A trim dressing made it look better but not sure how permanent it would be.

amcdonal86
06-10-2011, 08:48 AM
First things first, write a review on Yelp or Google (if they are listed) and let others know about your experience. I HATE going to places that are rated fantastic on Yelp, only to have them suck balls!

06-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Nothing they can do? I hope you at least got your money back. I`d probably be taking them to small claims court over this - they damaged your car!!

zaxjax
06-13-2011, 07:19 PM
File a complaint with the Better Buiness Bureau in your area. It may not help you but it may help someone in the future. Enough complaints about a particular company, the bureau will investigate

kingofsorrow
06-13-2011, 11:49 PM
very sorry to see what they did to your car. this is precisely why i always tried to learn from folks like the other members here. so i can do things myself and get it done right. if i mess up, then there`s no one to blame but myself.

those trim pieces may need to just be replaced. a junkyard or ebay, that`s where i got mine.