PDA

View Full Version : What did you learn this week?

Pages : [1] 2

Jean-Claude
06-07-2011, 09:50 PM
This thread is dedicated to those little things you picked up on "recently" that aren`t necessarily deserving of a thread but may come in handy to others.

(Given the recent influx of drama, please keep obvious digs, insults or drama out of this thread. An admin will otherwise receive a request to remove offensive posts)

I`ll begin.

When tight on space in the back of my truck and yet needing to bring water with me, upright my 65 gallon reservoir, remove the cap and fill it only half-way. When at the job, remove the other gear from around it and lay her down for use.

Jpostal
06-07-2011, 10:05 PM
The other day I used wheel acid on some old checker plate and it cleaned it up great...looked brand new. Not sure I would recommend it on a new cargo trailer or truck box with checker plate, but in certain applications it may work for you.

Jean-Claude
06-07-2011, 10:14 PM
That reminds me of something. Last week a guy insisted that you could use RainX on a carpet stain that would not budge and it would clean it up(at least in appearance). He did it on a spot and it actually worked. My jaw was open...

The other day I used wheel acid on some old checker plate and it cleaned it up great...looked brand new. Not sure I would recommend it on a new cargo trailer or truck box with checker plate, but in certain applications it may work for you.

WAS
06-08-2011, 02:18 PM
That reminds me of something. Last week a guy insisted that you could use RainX on a carpet stain that would not budge and it would clean it up(at least in appearance). He did it on a spot and it actually worked. My jaw was open...

I know of a shop that uses straight engine degreaser on carpets and seats to get the stains out prior to extracting.

Scottwax
06-08-2011, 03:41 PM
I learned that when a customer wants you to call them every 4 months to set up another detail, they are ready to schedule it when you call.

Jean-Claude
06-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Just because a new helper appears to be a good worker does not mean he really is. Some talk it but can`t walk it.

Envious Eric
06-19-2011, 11:26 PM
overbooking sucks!!!!! = no social life!

but putting out solid work usually leads to a full schedule!

12-15 hour days take a toll!!!

sacdetailing
06-21-2011, 11:31 PM
overbooking sucks!!!!! = no social life!

but putting out solid work usually leads to a full schedule!

12-15 hour days take a toll!!!

u kidding me? i thought i was working hard... lol i have the same story here. but i learned over the last couple days that ur plans might change because of just some customers cant do it this day or just anything happens so i have to put some work into a free time (which i rarely have lately). ohh and hiring your brother can be tricky ! if u kno what i mean

Envious Eric
06-22-2011, 01:33 AM
I no longer will hire family or friends...seems you want to pay them more, they want more, and the work doesnt usually warrant that pay

sacdetailing
06-22-2011, 11:44 AM
I no longer will hire family or friends...seems you want to pay them more, they want more, and the work doesnt usually warrant that pay

as soon as he sees that green he wants to be paid as much as hospital worker.

tonygxp
06-23-2011, 10:46 AM
i learned that brake cleaner can remove any stain from anything when nothing else works lol obviously a last resort but it`s truly amazing.

Jpostal
06-23-2011, 10:07 PM

Tried this again today...don`t do it! The checker plate looked clean and reflective but up close it was all cloudy. It did`nt matter on this vehicle because it was the step of an ancient van an the customer was happy it looked clean, but I would hate to mess up some good checker plate.

Scottwax
06-23-2011, 10:10 PM
I learned today that a regular customer isn`t listening to me about how horrible sprinklers are for his son`s black GMC truck. The whole passenger side is caked in water spots. :wall

Envious Eric
06-23-2011, 11:19 PM
explaining benefits rather than technicalities of the process goes MUCH further in making the client more comfortable in using you!

Jean-Claude
06-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Some clients just want a bottom line and don`t care about individual breakdowns.