PDA

View Full Version : Dust is driving me crazy.

Pages : [1] 2

Mike777G
06-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Picture this... you have just poured your hear and soul into a long 14 hour detail. You haven`t missed one bit of grime or dirt on the car, the rims and wheels look brand new. You have polished the paint to produce mirror reflections. The surface has been coated multiple times with wax. She looks truly beautiful.

Now naturally you want to take the car for a drive so you start her up and cruise the city. As you drive, windows down smile on your face you watch the trees reflection whip over the hood. You feel great as you show off the shimmering panels that enclose you.

When you return home you get out and turn horrified at what you see: a thin film of dust spoiling the beauty you worked so hard to create over the past two days. :scared:

This has been a story I have experienced far to often. Are there any products to aid in my war against dust? As much as I would love to dust the car twice a day might there be a secret weapon?

uzj100
06-07-2011, 09:28 PM
FK 425 will help some. IME, it cuts down dust accumulation by maybe 25%-50%? Also, have you considered another LSP?

I`m sure others will have some thoughts for you too

Dan
06-08-2011, 06:42 AM
Using a really "dry" lsp will cut down on the dust by a huge factor. Oil rich waxes and some sealants attract dirt like no one`s business. I`ve had really good luck with Zaino, Finish Kare (215 and 2180) and Optiseal for keeping dirt off the car.

Scottwax
06-08-2011, 11:10 AM
DP`s Poli-Coat Paint Sealant really is anti-static and resists dust build-up. I`ve even had a few customers comment on how much less dusty their cars get after I applied it.

Accumulator
06-08-2011, 11:18 AM
[shrug] Life`s not a car show; cars that get driven get dirty.

FK 425 will help some. IME, it cuts down dust accumulation by maybe 25%-50%?

It`s never helped all that much for me, not sure why :think: Heh heh, some wit here once suggested that I must be "using it backwards" because my FK424`ed vehicles get so dusty :chuckle: Since my experience seems to be unusual, yeah...it`s worth a try (along with using not-too-oily LSPs).

Bill D
06-08-2011, 11:40 AM
I still find a place for a California Car Duster. Lightly, and mean * lightly* dust with it in the shade/indorrs,shaking it out after each pass, and the vehicle will be streak and dust free without marring.

Accumulator
06-08-2011, 12:15 PM
I still find a place for a California Car Duster. Lightly, and mean * lightly* dust with it in the shade/indorrs,shaking it out after each pass, and the vehicle will be streak and dust free without marring.

You guys who can do that (and/or ONRing) without marring simply kill me....

Bill D
06-08-2011, 12:21 PM
It`s almost like getting into a meditative state to it right though.:chuckle: I`ve had the Accord almost 1 year now, soft paint , no marring, under halogens and all.

Scottwax
06-08-2011, 03:58 PM

Mine never removes the dust that well, just kind of moves most of it into one area.

RaskyR1
06-08-2011, 04:08 PM
I found Opti-Coat to attract far less dust than any other product I`ve ever used on my car.

Bill D
06-08-2011, 04:11 PM
One thing about them, for example in the spring and heavy pollen season, they can only remove some of the dust at best, and they will do just that, move the dust into one area. You`d have to constantly shake them out and go again. Even for normal amount of dust, I have to overlap passes so it`s something I can`t rush. I admit having to use it to get it the way we want can be impractical. That`s why it feels I like I have to meditate to use it how I want.

TedFred
06-08-2011, 05:09 PM

I has a black t bird and I used the CCD (duster) every day. never had big problems with it. It made the car look great. I use it on my white and silver BMWs about twice a week. I think that it puts less pressure on the car than QD and a microfiber. Though I am probably not as detail oriented as Accumulator.

Accumulator
06-09-2011, 10:29 AM
I has a black t bird and I used the CCD (duster) every day. never had big problems with it. It made the car look great. I use it on my white and silver BMWs about twice a week. I think that it puts less pressure on the car than QD and a microfiber..

Oh yeah, for sure. If you hold it up off the surface properly you can just *barely* make contact and keep that contact incredibly gentle. No argument from me there :D

... Though I am probably not as detail oriented as Accumulator.

Well, I do keep torturing myself with that SunGun :o

But I don`t know why I have such issues with (admittedly very light) marring :nixweiss I mean...so many people here use CCDs, ONR, etc. etc. with zero issues and I can`t imagine that all those folks are causing marring they don`t see, or conversely using some inscrutible magic technique that somehow escaped my consideration. I`m 100% confident that I haven`t missed anything, or botched the techniques involved, or otherwise "made a mistake". I simply can`t explain the incredible YMMV aspect of this so I`ve quit trying. Just as I`ve quit trying to "master" approaches in this vein that simply don`t work right for me. But I`m sure not saying that those approaches don`t work fine for others.

extrabolts
06-17-2011, 09:24 PM
I`ve got 8 different waxes on the hood of one of my cars right now and 3 waxes on the hood of another. I`ve noticed zero difference in whether any of them gather less pollen / dust than the others. Some will wash easier, but I haven`t found anything that creates a dust forcefield.

tonipieleanu
06-21-2011, 06:55 AM
It`s never helped all that much for me, not sure why :think: Heh heh, some wit here once suggested that I must be "using it backwards" because my FK424`ed vehicles get so dusty :chuckle: Since my experience seems to be unusual, yeah...it`s worth a try (along with using not-too-oily LSPs).

You`re not the only one :( I`ve tried FK425 vs Zaino Z6 on my hood and neither helped with dust accumulation.

Split the hood in 3 parts, one with FK425, one with Z6 and one left untouched. After a few days they all had the same amount of dust, at least from what I could see...