PDA

View Full Version : Steam Cleaner: Reasons to get or not get one.

Mike777G
06-07-2011, 08:05 PM
I would like to hear what fellow autopians have to say about steam cleaners.

This is the one I was looking at Amazon.com: McCulloch MC-1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner: Home & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DF0RB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

Has anyone ever used this model, it`s not very expensive but is this the sort of thing that you need to pay a premium to get a decent one (like pressure washers)?

Thanks everybody!

C. Charles Hahn
06-07-2011, 08:31 PM
is this the sort of thing that you need to pay a premium to get a decent one (like pressure washers)?

Yes it is, just like carpet extractors, pressure washers, etc.

I`ve been detailing with "cheap" steamers for years and I`ve tended to wear them out quickly. Even when they are new, I don`t find that they`re as effective as I`d like them to be. I am now looking into commercial models, and may be giving Renny Doyle a call about one of his specially modified Vapor-Clean VX5000s.

David Fermani
06-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Sorry to get off track, but I`d like to ask what you tend to use your steamer on that makes using it superior to any other cleaning method? I think it would be great on body panel cracks and engines, but I`ve been utilizing other methods.

Mike777G
06-07-2011, 11:08 PM
I like the aspect that is is easy to clean tight cracks and crevices, but mostly I like the idea that it can be very effective at killing bacteria. (Help with smells). Also I`ve heard of your careful about touch up work they work well with leather.

Accumulator
06-08-2011, 11:50 AM
I`ve used a scad of different steamers from little one-hand models, to ones apparently similar to that MacCulloch (hmm, they don`t list the specs of it :think: ), to a pretty good one from DeLonghi, to my Daimer 1500C.

Steamers are good. Even the cheap ones are better than not having one at all.

But the *good* ones are a whole different ballgame compared to the lesser models. The specs aren`t all *that* different between my DeLonghi and the Daimer, but the latter will do jobs that the other one simply can`t...little differences in the numbers can mean huge diffs in the performance.

But again, I`d rather have a cheapie than none at all.

Bill D
06-08-2011, 11:58 AM
The cheap ones spit out a whole lot more water than the high dollar ones but, they do the job. Might have to refill them a few times for a long task.

imported_animes2k
06-08-2011, 12:03 PM
I picked up one like that shown in the link from Lowe`s... The Wagner 905

Shop Wagner 905 Power Steamer at Lowes.com (http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=244697-97-0282004&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3065781&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=sim&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1)

I`m not doing this professionally, more as a hobby/side income, but I LOVE this thing. I can see where it could be better, but for my needs it`s great. It has done a great job on cleaning cracks and crevices, seems to instantly remove coffee, tea and food stains from carpets and seats, cleans the dash, removes plastic transfer from paint (scrapes, shoe and baby seat marks from getting in and out, mostly in door jambs), cleans the seams of weatherstripping, loosens dirt from carpets, removes years of buildup, even on leather.

It`s not that great on heavy grease in door jambs or engines, but I don`t really need to do that too much.

Bill D
06-08-2011, 12:08 PM
That one ought to work just fine. It reminds me of my original Steam Buggy.

Accumulator
06-08-2011, 12:13 PM
It reminds me of my original Steam Buggy.

That was my intro to steamers too, my father bought one of those and simply loved it.

Quality Leather
07-01-2011, 08:47 PM
I like the aspect that is is easy to clean tight cracks and crevices, but mostly I like the idea that it can be very effective at killing bacteria. (Help with smells). Also I`ve heard of your careful about touch up work they work well with leather.

I only use a steamer on leather when I am refinishing it. I personally think it damages the coating.

Street5927
07-01-2011, 10:35 PM
That was my intro to steamers too, my father bought one of those and simply loved it.

Would you believe I still have mine. Was actually cleaning out the basement today, and saw it sitting in it`s ratty old box. Couldn`t bring myself to get rid of it, so I put it into a tupperware container. I don`t know if I will ever use it again, but it works fine, and can`t bring myself to getting rid of it. I guess you can say I am a bit of a pack rat with certain things.

Astro_ng
07-01-2011, 11:05 PM
I`ve heard really good things about this one.

Amazon.com: VAPAMORE MR-100 STEAM CLEANER: Home & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/Vapamore-MR-100-VAPAMORE-STEAM-CLEANER/dp/B001PLPHAQ/ref=sr_1_26?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1309579285&sr=1-26)

A bit more than the product you were looking at orginally, but it may be something you should look into?

I`m in the market for a steam cleaner too! Let us know on what you decide and a review!

Accumulator
07-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Would you believe I still have mine. Was actually cleaning out the basement today, and saw it sitting in it`s ratty old box. Couldn`t bring myself to get rid of it, so I put it into a tupperware container. I don`t know if I will ever use it again, but it works fine, and can`t bring myself to getting rid of it. I guess you can say I am a bit of a pack rat with certain things.

Heh heh, I can sure relate to the "pack rat" thing :o

The Steam Buggy could still be a handy little thing for little jobs around the house...bathrooms and kitchen come to mind. Just fill it, plug it in, and go do something else while it heats up.

I recently used my "inferior" DeLonghi steamer in the house, much easier than wrestling with my "good one".

Bill D
07-02-2011, 12:44 PM
It was a sad day when I had to trash my Steam Buggy :(. The strap had long since snapped and the hose tore. Unsafe. I`m pretty happy with my $30 unit so far though. Got me through some grimey undercarriage work.