PDA

View Full Version : Seal Coat and road tar!

fergnation
06-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Are there any Pro`s out there that have been contracted to remove seal coat that has blown on to cars?

What products can be used to remove the Seal Coat off of the painted and trim surfaces. I know it stains and the paint will need to be polished, im good with that, but was wondering if there is an initial product that will remove black specks? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Secondly, here in Indiana we had crack sealant that didn`t cure and thousands of cars have it caked all over them. I was wondering if anyone has come up with the ultimate way of getting this stuff out of wheel wells. Mineral spirits, WD40, bug and tar remover? Is there one that works better than others? i have recently had a ton of inquires into these kind of cars and trying to save some time and energy?

Thanks

Dan
06-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Kerosene and gasoline (yikes) work amazingly well on stubborn road tar. I know, not a good practice, but IMO better than causing scratches in the finish from hitting the tar with something abrasive.

fergnation
06-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks Yak> yea I have def. gone that route in the past. I think mineral spirits work well also> was wondering if there was a safer product out there>

I take care of a customers collection and he owns a paving company. His coating crew on windy days gets seal coat all over cars that are parked too close. he has four cars needing to be cleaned up. So if anyone has removed seal coat before and has a product or system that works well it would be a huge help!

salty
06-02-2011, 10:42 AM
I would try Mineral Spirits, dwell and PW off, would be ideal except for the run off into drains.

Mineral spirits is fairly oily, so it offers some lube, if you have to wipe it off with MF.

Dr. Woo
06-02-2011, 11:33 AM
There was an unknown brown substance that was splattered on my car when I first picked it up. Seemed like paint, or something similar to what you describe.

Gentle rubbing of each separate spot with Professional Strength Goof-Off was what I went with. I have no idea if it removed any clearcoat, but it`s advertised as being safe for painted surfaces. Only noticeable thing was that it ate through my LSP, obviously.

Brad B
06-02-2011, 03:32 PM
I use Acrysol. Very safe and effective.

fergnation
06-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Thanks guys! I just took another look at a different car that was absolutely caked with this crap. I am wondering what Acrysol is. Where to get? I`m just not an old dog u can`t teach new tricks too. If someone has an easier way of doing this I`m all ears.

ruleof72
06-02-2011, 08:39 PM
My wife`s car picks up a lot of road tar in her commute and I found that Duragloss #471 (Bug Remover) works great. A quick spray and wipe takes it right off.

Driven Auto Detail
06-03-2011, 03:54 PM
David,

Try a test spot with Stoner Tarminator. I absolutely love the stuff for removing tar. You can buy it in a 5-gallon pail, or if your heart desires, a 55-gallon drum. Both ship free direct from Stoner.

Stoner Tarminator Tar and Sap Remover is manufactured by Stoner, your factory direct source for professional detailing products, car wash chemicals, and supplies. (http://www.detailingdirect.com/91157.htm)