PDA

View Full Version : Noob

imported_justinh
06-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Hi all, I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask dumb questions. :smile:

Anyway, I just recently got a new (to me) 2007 Audi S4. It`s got swirl marks and a couple of what I would consider worse than swirl mark scratches as well as some paint chips on the hood from driving it home (I travelled about 800 miles to pick this car up). I posted in the regional forum and got no hits on forum people in the area. I`m considering just giving it a go myself and seeing what I can do. I don`t have any experience with this sort of thing. Anybody have experience with Audi`s that could offer some advice? I was thinking of buying either the Flex or the PC and I don`t know which would be better for me? And thought of giving the HD Uno a try. I`m open to whatever suggestions / advice anyone has regarding equipment or products or whatever.

Oh, and the car is black too...

Thanks,

Justin

Scottwax
06-01-2011, 11:23 PM
At the very least you will need a flex, Audi paint is pretty hard and when I do a correction, I don`t even bother with a DA and go straight to a rotary. The Flex, with its forced rotation and more powerful motor might be nearly as effective as a rotary on Audi paint.

Did you click on the `find a detailer` link? You should be able to find someone in your area that way.

imported_justinh
06-02-2011, 12:04 AM
I did actually. Noone listed in Nebraska =(

Junebug
06-02-2011, 07:07 AM
Since it`s your car and it doesn`t sound like you are getting into detailing for others (not yet right) I`d suggest getting a Griots DA, Megs MF cutting pads-the 5" ones, UNO (get the UNO/POXY deal!) and the usual car wash, grout sponge, Clay Magic blue kit, etc.

Audi is hard, I`ve done a couple A4`s, but, if you take your time, do a 2`x2` section at a time, you will be alright.

Dan
06-02-2011, 07:57 AM
A GG6, some aggressive pads and UNO will get the swirls out. I just sold my 07 S4 so I am familiar with the finish. The flex will be faster but you can get the job done with the Griots machine and a bit of patience.

Accumulator
06-02-2011, 10:01 AM
justinh- Welcome to Autopia!

I`m another Audi nut :D

As you can probably tell, when it comes to polishers the two easy answers are Flex 3401 and the Griot`s Garage 6" Random Orbital. I have both. I generally think the Flex is a better choice for use on Audis.

For products, the Uno, Meguiar`s, or Optimum routes should all work fine; there are little diffs between them that might help you choose which would be right for you.

If you want to fix the chips (yeah, "if"....I often just let `em go and it`s never a big deal other than how it looks), I`d do that before you start polishing. There are a few different ways to go, from traditional touchups, leveled via wetsanding, or leveled via Langka Blob Eliminator, to the DRColorChip route which is a different type of paint system altogether.