PDA

View Full Version : New 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35is - White on Black - Need Advice

Joe Link
06-01-2011, 04:36 PM
It`s been a few years since I last posted here, back when I was a noob to detailing. Back then I had I purchased a PC 7424, some Lake Country pads, and the Optimum Compound, Polish, and Poli-Seal products. This stuff has lasted and treated me well through the years for whatever vehicle(s) I was driving. However, I just signed the paperwork on a brand new white on black 2011 BMW Z3 sDrive35is, and now I need to step up my car care game.

Considering this car will have new paint which has never been washed, I feel like I have a fresh canvas with which to start and maintain. I still have the PC 7424 and a fair amount of all the products, though they`re years old (do detailing products change or expire over time?). I recently detailed our black 1994 Miata and it seemed the products still worked very well, but I have to think there`s probably something better out there to really get the white paint to the `WOW` level. I also picked up a few Griot`s Garage Starter Kits ($15 each, too cheap to pass up). While I`m guessing the wash soap, clay, vinyl & rubber dressing, and wheel cleaner are fine (right?), I assume there`s something better than the best in show wax. In addition to paint protection I`m also interested in doing what I can to protect the interior.

I plan on washing the car once or twice per week during the summer months, but I really need to develop a routine to keep this looking in tip top shape.

I appreciate any advice you guys have for me :)

http://s2.postimage.org/c7sxglf42/Cosy_Vehicle_Image_CAEO6_SZC.jpg

TedFred
06-02-2011, 07:46 AM
I have a 2007 BMW with the same paint color. I polished the paint with Meguiars Ulitimate polish and then waxed. I have used a lot of different waxes and can`t tell much difference. The polishing step is the key. It made the car look fantastic. I polished and then waxed with NXT 2.0. A sealant like NXT will probably make the white more brilliant.

Joe Link
06-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the reply TedFred. I`m sure the Optimum Polish & Poli-Seal would be sufficient, and I found it very similar to NXT. I`m really looking for something to bring out the lines of the car though, and wondering if there`s a better option.

TedFred
06-02-2011, 05:42 PM
That is probably a good option. It has been said that the white cars like the Sealant more than the carnuba wax. Accumulator has 5 white cars he may be able t give you some advice

SpoolinNoMore
06-05-2011, 06:57 PM
I`m a huge fan of white, but a far lesser fan of detailing white (harder to see the spots you went over :-/). I`ve seen very good results with NXT on a Dodge Dakota I did a while ago, even though the Dodge`s variation of white is a pretty flat compared to the BMW, NXT still gave it a bit of the wet look that most sports car owners go for. I have yet to use it on a lighter color vehicle (so far only a few black and my gunmetal gray SUV), but the Meguiar`s Ultimate Liquid Wax has given a pretty slick look to it (more like a glass-like surface than liquid metal). I experimented about a month ago on my gunmetal gray 2007 Acura MDX by using NXT, waiting 3 hours, then topping with Ultimate Liquid Wax and it exhibits the glass-like properites of the Ultimate Liquid Wax in sunlight, while in low-light (dusk/dawn) it gives the liquid-metal look of the NXT (or a carnauba wax). For me, wax is like making soup, just experiment with whatever waxes you want in trying to layer them and what-not, its the polishing part that gets down to more of a science in paint correction. Best of luck!

Joe Link
06-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the reply!

How far do you guys think I should go with the new paint?

Wash -> Clay -> Polish -> Wax/Seal ?

Wash -> Polish -> Wax/Seal ?

Wash -> Wax/Seal ?

SpoolinNoMore
06-06-2011, 04:17 PM
I always clay before I polish or wax, no sense rubbing around or swirling embedded dirt.

TedFred
06-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Wash -> Clay -> Polish -> Wax/Seal