PDA

View Full Version : How to remove leather conditioner

ZeroFear
05-31-2011, 03:46 PM
I recently put some leather conditioner on a black leather seat and now it has this permanent wet look to it. How do I restore it back to normal? I`ve tried a quick wipe with some lexol leather cleaner but it still looks like that oily/wet look.

It looks kinda silly because the drivers seat is still "normal".

The leather is probably some cheap or fake if that makes any difference in advice given. Its not a high end car with 100% genuine cafe leather or something of the sort.

Thanks to anyone who has advice.

Scottwax
05-31-2011, 04:02 PM
Clean the leather properly, wipes aren`t strong enough. You might need to use a nylon bristle brush to agitate the cleaner to get the other conditioner out of the leather. Then get something like Leather Master`s Leather Vital which will condition the leather without leaving a greasy, wet, oily look.

extrabolts
05-31-2011, 06:39 PM
Yup, I went through multiple different leather conditioners looking for one that would not leave my seats greasy. It turned out that my seats were never clean to begin with, so applying a leather conditioner was just sitting on top and bringing all of the body oils from sitting in the seats to the top. The seats kept remaining dirty after having cleaned them with different cleaners, so I figured they were clean.

I cleaned with Megs APC+ diluted 10:1 and had amazing results. Now that I have the seats perfectly clean, all of my conditioners that I tried before look pretty good after application. However, I`m hooked on Leather Masters and it is definitely my go-to product for seats I care about.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/134493-leather-treatment-megs-apc-leather-masters.html

ZeroFear
05-31-2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks guys, I`ll have to look into the leather masters.

I never herd of using a nylon brush on leather seats. Anyone have a link to one they use?

Scottwax
05-31-2011, 10:39 PM
I buy mine at Target for about $3 each.

Accumulator
06-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks guys, I`ll have to look into the leather masters.

If you buy their cleaner (and I do like it), get the "Strong" version, you can always dilute it with water if you want/need to but having the potency can come in handy.

I never herd of using a nylon brush on leather seats. Anyone have a link to one they use?

The only thing to watch out for is that you don`t buy something *so* aggressive that it damages the leather...just use common sense and you oughta be fine.

Bill D
06-01-2011, 10:45 AM
A word of caution regarding the pink Leather Master cleaner. I think it`s the strongest product they make. This stuff can damage seats IME. I`d advise against this particular product, actually, but if you get the pink one, do use it very great caution.

Accumulator
06-01-2011, 11:45 AM
A word of caution regarding the pink Leather Master cleaner. I think it`s the strongest product they make. This stuff can damage seats IME. I`d advise against this particular product, actually, but if you get the pink one, do use it very great caution.

The "pink" stuff is the same as the "Strong" that I recommended, right?

I`ve only used it undiluted on the Tahoe...no problems there, but I appreciate the caveat as I`d sure hate for it to mess anything up for anybody.

Bill D
06-01-2011, 11:49 AM
The product name is Super/Cleaner Remover. I don`t believe the typical detailing supply websites sell this particular one. Maybe there`s good reason why. I believe "Strong" cleaner is the next less aggressive product.

Accumulator
06-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Bill D- Ah, OK. The "Strong" is somewhat pinkish in hue also.

Bill D
06-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Maybe Super is strong "on steroids" and,in my case, overkill :soscared:

Roger Koh
06-01-2011, 12:15 PM
I recently put some leather conditioner on a black leather seat and now it has this permanent wet look to it. How do I restore it back to normal? I`ve tried a quick wipe with some lexol leather cleaner but it still looks like that oily/wet look.

It looks kinda silly because the drivers seat is still "normal".

The leather is probably some cheap or fake if that makes any difference in advice given. Its not a high end car with 100% genuine cafe leather or something of the sort.

Thanks to anyone who has advice.

Would you be satisfied with the result of removing the unwanted shine as seen in these pictures?

Picture #1 is the before shine and #2 shows the right side shine is removed.

Roger Koh

info@leatherdoctor.com

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/WheelBefore1-1.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/WheelAfter1-1.jpg