PDA

View Full Version : How long will products last?

Mike777G
05-25-2011, 02:17 PM
What is the general life span of various detailing supplies.

Cleaners, Dressings, Compounds, Waxes.

It looks like I will have supplies around for a long time. How long untell they are no good and whats the best way to preserve products.

Thanks all

C. Charles Hahn
05-25-2011, 02:36 PM
99% of the time the answer is "indefinitely" if you keep them from freezing or extreme heat.

As long as a product that has separated will reconstitute with a bit of shaking or stirring, it`s still good.

Dan
05-25-2011, 02:52 PM
99% of the time the answer is "indefinitely" if you keep them from freezing or extreme heat.

Agreed, most products hate temperature fluctuations. Shaking bottles every few months isn`t a bad idea either. It keeps everything from separating. The most volatile are LSP`s followed by polishes, everything else seems to last forever.

Scottwax
05-25-2011, 02:53 PM
I have paste waxes that are approaching 10 years old that look and function normally. Store at room temperature, shake a couple times a year and they should last several years at least.

Mike777G
05-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Great to hear guys. I was getting a bit worried because I buy my products in larger sizes and they could very well last a few years. I see some people store their waxes in a small fridge. Is that necessary, and what about clay bars, how long should they last.

Dan
05-25-2011, 03:26 PM
If you can`t keep the products at a steady temp, a fridge is good, but only necessary for a non temp controlled environment like a garage. Then you have to weigh your options, do you want to pay $30/year in electricity to keep $100 worth of product for a few years longer?

As far as clay, I have clay bars over 5 years old that are still fine, just keep them double sealed as they can dry out.

Accumulator
05-26-2011, 10:26 AM
As far as clay, I have clay bars over 5 years old that are still fine, just keep them double sealed as they can dry out.

I`ve never even had clay dry out! Sure smart to do it like Yakky suggested though.

Heh heh...people are talking about 5 or 10 year old products as if that`s a long shelf life :grinno: I have much older stuff than that that`s still OK, even though my previous shop got *HOT* in the summer and I just kept my products on the shelf; only thing that went bad was a bottle of M34.

Bill D
05-26-2011, 10:34 AM
If you can`t keep the products at a steady temp, a fridge is good, but only necessary for a non temp controlled environment like a garage.

Here`s my mini fridge in the garage I use to store small quantities of product in the summer. The full size bottles stay in the house. My electric bill is practically unaffected by using this mini fridge.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h442/billdautopia/DSC02315.jpg

Accumulator
05-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Bill D- Hmmm...my builder put a minifridge in the garage`s office, but I`ve never used it for anything.

Bill D
05-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Bill D- Hmmm...my builder put a minifridge in the garage`s office, but I`ve never used it for anything.

I can report the QD,polishes, sealants, and waxes all perform well stored this way. Up north you`d probably have to use the mini fridge less often during than year than me.

Accumulator
05-26-2011, 11:57 AM
Yeah...the shop part of the garage stays OK, but my storage rooms are off of the loft-office on the 2nd floor and things can get pretty warm up there as I don`t run the A/C all the time. Nothing`s gone bad yet, but still...

I do keep my cases of #16 and 476S in the basement of the house, same area where I keep the wine (not that it`s a true "wine cellar" or anything).

Bill D
05-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Wine, #16 and 476S all paired together= a true Autopian`s delight! :xyxthumbs:

Mike777G
05-27-2011, 02:37 AM
My garage holds a pretty constant 15 degrees Celsius which is good (sorry I`m Canadian not sure what that is in Fahrenheit) but it is really dry up here on the prairies does that affect anything. Also I run a mobile unit does a hot car do damage to products?